Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Ignition advancer

Ignition advancer

I have a 2002 ZX-9 and i am looking for some information on an ignition advancer. I am trying to get an idea exactly what it can and will do good or bad and where can i get one.
    thanks. I have added a Yosh skip-on K & N and i am going to have it jetted and dynoed.
    thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Everybody to the limit!

Ignition advancer

If you jet the bike rich you can advance the timing safely a few degrees and get a bit more snappiness in the throttle, whether it will show up as horespower on a dyno or not is a matter of debate, suffice it to say that you will not recognize huge gains with the advancer.

But the bike is jetted lean from the factory and you've leaned it out even more with a less restrictive slipon, I wouldn't advise an advancer until you've brought the mixture onto the rich side across the rev range.

I love my jetted carbs, I run them in a zx6r and it has VASTLY improved the feel of the midrange, no more power dips and sucking wind at rollon from 7k on the highway. I think I may need to bump the mixture back a bit on the midrange as I shimmed the needles one clip lower than recommended by factory and installed larger mains by 2.5, the bike pops and sputters a bit now on decel but it's smooth as butter on the throttle

advancer

Thanks for the advice. I am looking into getting a jet kit and i am trying to get some prices on having it jetted. I have got one price of $320.00 for the kit and jetting it. I am not sure if that is good or not. i am capable of jetting it myself but i want it close to perfect as i can. As it stands now i feel a little more mid range but i am lagging off the gun. i think it from the K&N. If i roll on it in first gear around 5-6000 rpm it lifts right up. but if i snap the throttle at 5-7000 rpm it barely comes up due to a lag or flat spot. I don't really wheelie but i am trying to get better throttle response. I took out the clear air system and the popping in the exhaust has stopped. so next is the throttle response.
    thanks for all the input.
    anthony

Re: advancer

Originally posted by iwannaride
    Thanks for the advice. I am looking into getting a jet kit and i am trying to get some prices on having it jetted. I have got one price of $320.00 for the kit and jetting it. I am not sure if that is good or not. i am capable of jetting it myself but i want it close to perfect as i can. As it stands now i feel a little more mid range but i am lagging off the gun. i think it from the K&N. If i roll on it in first gear around 5-6000 rpm it lifts right up. but if i snap the throttle at 5-7000 rpm it barely comes up due to a lag or flat spot. I don't really wheelie but i am trying to get better throttle response. I took out the clear air system and the popping in the exhaust has stopped. so next is the throttle response.
    thanks for all the input.
    anthony
    I live right in peabody and will help you jet it for nothing, just let me know...i have a nice straight to check it out after we do any adjustments also

Jack

Ignition advancer

Thanks, which jet kit do you recommend. i have heard good about the dynojet.

Ignition advancer

I have used 2 ignition advancers.

On my 84 fj1100 it made a huge difference

2nd time like it didn't happen

Along with the jetting hack away at the air box inlets. Make it look like a squirrel habitat

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Re: Re: advancer

Originally posted by gsxrjack
    I live right in peabody and will help you jet it for nothing, just let me know...i have a nice straight to check it out after we do any adjustments also

Jack

Thanks, which jet kit do you recommend. i have heard good about the dynojet.
    ive had the best luck with factory jet kits, much better than dynojet imo[