Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Oil burning?

Lifer

Question Oil burning?

Anyone have/had a bike or car which burned oil regularly and that was considered normal for that engine?

I ask cause nothing I've had (Mustang, Focus, SV650, VFR) has ever really burned oil at all. But my new car supposedly does, to the tune of 1qt every 3000 miles or so...

Honda/Acura doesn't say this but it seems to be the only maintenance/wear issue I could dig up on the internet, the owners seem to think it's normal "cause it revs high". Seems like BS to me I am wondering if a lot of people beat the tar out of the car when it was brand new and caused the rings to not get seated correctly. Lots of people saying it burns oil but still makes the specified amount of power/torque and passes a compression test with flying colors. The manual does say to check the oil every time you put gas in the car but I'm guessing all car manuals say that. The oil change interval is also 10,000 miles which obviously is not what I'll be doing.

I'll watch it but I'll certainly be disappointed if mine does that.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Littering and........

Oil burning?

I've heard of it before, early Audi V-6 motors had that issue. Strangely enough, a day at the racetrack usually cured the condition.

Oil burning?

My Peugeot ran like a top, passed emissions without a problem and used a quart every 3000.

My parents jette does the same.

My Tacoma doesn't use a drop after 5000 miles.

It's all how the engine is made. I wouldn't use oil consumption as a sole indicator of a problem in your car.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Oil burning?

One of the only things I found going through the manual is this car apparently depressurizes the crank case to minimize pumping losses and/or emissions. Maybe that contributes to it. It apparently reburns gasses that it pulls out of the bottom half of the motor.

No big deal it is a hell of a motor.

the old day would a freeked ya ben

every thing used oil ..tight rings specs now clear up most consuption hi revs should not make 2 much diff imo

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Lifer

Oil burning?

When I was running a dyno at Honda it wasn't uncommon for new engines to burn off a quart or more in the equivilant of 1000 miles. We had pumps set up to feed oil through the fill caps. The rate is determined by the type of oil used, engine wear (wear in), and the type of use it is exposed to. Consistantly higher revs will cause it to burn off a little quicker, just as using certain brands will. Oil and oil vapor sneak into the combustion chamber through a ton of spots. Vapor makes it past the rings, oil seeps past the valve seals and guides (controlled leaks), etc. Keep an eye on it, it should decrease some with miles on the engine.

The recomended change interval may be 10k miles, but the recomended check/add interval is a lot shorter.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Oil burning?

I owned 3 Honda's and none of them ever burned oil. My stepdad has a 04 Acura TL and it doesn't burn any either.

Jamie

I Dance With Will

Oil burning?

Originally posted by benVFR
    It apparently reburns gasses that it pulls out of the bottom half of the motor.

wtf? return gasses?

my 01 civic sometimes does and sometimes doesn't. i think i didn't tighten the drain bolt enough. reminds me, i gotta check the oil. it's been 5000 miles since last oil change.

"fuckit!"

Oil burning?

Yeah my Audi dealer actually told me that my V6 should burn oil at about a quart every 3k miles or so, and its normal.
    It hasn't been that noticeable.

My mustang doesn't burn oil though....American V8 with over 120k miles too....Strange I know.

I may have missed it in the thread, but what kind of car is it?
    How many miles?

Chris
    LRRS Expert #160

Lifer

Oil burning?

A lot of the time the level of the oil doesn't change, but the composition of it does. Just as the oil vapor is going into the combustion chamber, unburned fuel is making its way into the crankcase dilluting the oil.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Oil burning?

My 77 mini burns a fair bit, and leaks even more!

It really was't rings that caused most oil burn in the past, but the lack of valve seals... Oil leaks right past while the car sits, then you get that big puff of blue smoke on startup.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Oil burning?

Originally posted by Paul_E_D
    My 77 mini burns a fair bit, and leaks even more!

It really was't rings that caused most oil burn in the past, but the lack of valve seals... Oil leaks right past while the car sits, then you get that big puff of blue smoke on startup.
    That just lets you know the oil is getting everywhere for lubrication. The inside of the exhaust is safe from rusting out too with the oil overcoating.

SSearchVT

Oil burning?

Oh, Yeah. Free rust protection is the best part of having a leaky brittish car. I just wish it leaked all over the body of the car too!

Paul_E_D

Oil burning?

I was also told it's normal for a engine to burn a quart of oil in 3k miles. When i first got my truck it used about a quart every 3k but now it uses about a quart every 6k miles (or at least it's been 6k so far, it only has 16k miles on it) and from what i've read, big block V8s usually use quite a bit of oil.

As for bikes, i had a 97 YZF 1000 that used a quart every 1500 miles from the day i bought it to the day i sold it, at the time i was told by the dealer that all liter bikes burn oil for some reason The next year i got a 98 R1 and put close to 35k miles on it and it never used any oil

My YZ450 chugs oil, if you could translate it into miles, probably a quart every 500 miles? Possitive crankcase pressure and a direct crankcase vent i'm sure is the reason though. The vent catch can has to be emptied at least once per race weekend

Yamaha