Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

fast lane vs. ez pass vs. others

I figure they all work the same, but is there any reason I should get anything else besides the fast lane?

I heard that the fast lane only gives you one tag, and costs $20 to activate, and $20 for the unit. Whereas the EZpass will give you a transponder for each of you cars at no charge.

0 Not allowed!

They are basically the same thing. Different states use a different name. All states I travel through let me use the same transponder. I payed $27 + $20 for tolls. The $20 gets replenished after it goes below $10. I have the Fast Lane I don't know what NH charges.

0 Not allowed!

Second EZ-Pass was NOT FREE ... dunno where you got that info.

You have to be a resident of NH to get one in NH.
    (Not too sure about that, but they did insist on my DL and registration.)

Clarification ... Private accounts get discount ... that is why.
    Commercial accounts are different and more expensive.

An individual application may have up to 4 tags per account.

Requirements: For individually owned or leased vehicles with two axles and: A maximum gross vehicle weight of 7,000 pounds
    Single rear tires
    For cars, vans, pickup trucks, motorcycles and RVs

All New Hampshire Private Account customers will receive a 30% discount at all New Hampshire toll facilities.

My brother in law from Connecticutt is trying to get one ...
    Don't know how that is coming along, but he was frustrated last time I spoke with him.

0 Not allowed!

fastlane was $35ish to get but my friend told me he went on the ezpass site selected he lived in NY and put down his mass address for shipping and the transponder was free give it a shot

i do know the one good thing is if you have the ezpass and for some reason it doesn't work on the pike they charge a big fee, were as fastlane just charges you the toll, or at most the cost of running east to west (like 5 buck)
    my 2 cents

0 Not allowed!

FastLane transponders are $29.20 each (after tax). No freebies at all.

I have 3 on my account. One my Jeep, one for my wife's car, and one for my bike. It's easier not to have to remember to move the transponder between vehicles. The reason I have 3 is:

1) I had one in for my Jeep, which I used when I rented a car and left it in the car, so I had to pay to have that replaced.

2) The original one turned up when the rental company mailed it back to the MTA and they sent it back to me.

3) The one in my wife's car was originally her own, separate account, which we consolidated into my account.

So, 3 transponders on one account. All individually paid for. Also, remember that each transponder has a warranty period. If it fails within that period, the MTA will replace it for free. If it craps out after the period, you pay full proce to replace it.

0 Not allowed!

EZ-pass Ny is available online, you can sign up and get a transponder, inside outside license plate for FREE. And you don't have to mail anything, it's accepted all over the place, and automatically detects if your towing a trailer so you don't have to go into the cash lanes.

0 Not allowed!

I have three NY EZ Pass's - all FREE.

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Karaya One
    I have three NY EZ Pass's - all FREE.
    The transponder is free, but doesn't NY now charge a $1 per month service fee? (Not sure if this is per transponder or not).

Considering how much these things lower labor costs you'd think they'd pay you to have one.

0 Not allowed!

The transponder is free, but doesn't NY now charge a $1 per month service fee?
    That would be news to me. I've always just been charged tolls.

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by joeswamp
    The transponder is free, but doesn't NY now charge a $1 per month service fee? (Not sure if this is per transponder or not).

Considering how much these things lower labor costs you'd think they'd pay you to have one.
    Exactly, I got two E-ZPass transponders for free some years ago, and in the last year or two they've been deducting a dollar from my account each month.

0 Not allowed!

FREE TRANSPONDER AND NO FEES

You can open an E-ZPass account with any member of the Interagency Group, it doesn't matter where you live. You are not required to have your E-ZPass account with an agency in your home state. Some agencies, like the Mass Pike and the New Hampshire DOT, charge up-front for the transponder. Other agencies, like the New Jersey Customer Service Center and the Port Authority of NY & NJ have a monthly account fee. The good news is that there are agencies out there that don't charge for the transponder, and don't have a monthly fee.

You can get a free E-ZPass transponder with no monthly fee from the Maryland DOT, the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission, and the Peace Bridge Authority of New York and Ontario. Another good choice is the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission. The PTC does charge an annual service fee of 3USD, however their transponder is free and they do not have any other fees.

The New York State Thruway Authority also features free transponders with no fees, but it is not possible to order a transponder online directly from the Thruway Authority. If you, as a non-resident, order a transponder online from the New York Customer Service Center you will receive a Port Authority transponder, which carries a monthly fee of 1USD. However, if you find yourself in upstate New York, you can purchase a Thruway transponder at a retail store through the On The Go program.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by jimmyflyn475; 11-18-07 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Accuracy

Registered Architect Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyflyn475 View Post
    FREE TRANSPONDER AND NO FEES

You can open an E-ZPass account with any member of the Interagency Group, it doesn't matter where you live. You are not required to have your E-ZPass account with an agency in your home state. Some agencies, like the Mass Pike and the New Hampshire DOT, charge up-front for the transponder. Other agencies, like the New Jersey Customer Service Center and the Port Authority of NY & NJ have a monthly account fee. The good news is that there are agencies out there that don't charge for the transponder, and don't have a monthly fee.

You can get a free E-ZPass transponder with no monthly fee from the Maryland DOT, the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission, and the Peace Bridge Authority of New York and Ontario. Another good choice is the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission. The PTC does charge an annual service fee of 3USD, however their transponder is free and they do not have any other fees.

The New York State Thruway Authority also features free transponders with no fees, but it is not possible to order a transponder online directly from the Thruway Authority. If you, as a non-resident, order a transponder online from the New York Customer Service Center you will receive a Port Authority transponder, which carries a monthly fee of 1USD. However, if you find yourself in upstate New York, you can purchase a Thruway transponder at a retail store through the On The Go program.

sweet - just signed up with maryland - been meaning to do this for a while - nice find, thanks!!!

0 Not allowed!

Providence, RI

Priceless

EZPass from Massachusetts: $30.55 for transponder.

EZPass from New Hampshire: $24.61 for transponder.

EZPass from New Jersey: $1.00 a month forever.

EZPass from Maryland with free transponder and no fees: PRICELESS

F**K YOU Taxassachusetts !

0 Not allowed!

I get a discount on NH tolls cause I am a NH resident.
    The discount has more than paid the price of two transponders.

0 Not allowed!

Providence, RI

For New Hampshire residents, it makes sense to have a NH EZPass because of the discounts. In Rhode Island, we don't have an EZPass program, at least not until next year when they put EZPass on the Newport Bridge.

I want EZPass just for the convenience, but I won't be using it very often, so I don't want to pay a lot of money for the tag. When I saw Jimmy's post, I signed up with Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by Currently View Post
    I get a discount on NH tolls cause I am a NH resident.
    The discount has more than paid the price of two transponders.

0 Not allowed!

Providence, RI

Its not you, its the state government

I have nothing against the fine citizens of the Bay State, I just don't care much for the communist government in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by l3uddha View Post
    hey be nice

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieleano View Post
    I have nothing against the fine citizens of the Bay State, I just don't care much for the communist government in Boston.
    Oh, I bet you enjoy their delicious baked beans though!!! And thier Market chicken. And their Cream donuts.

0 Not allowed!

I was just trying to help people save a little money on E-ZPass.

I didn't intend to start another "my state is better than yours" debate among New Englanders.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNoF4i View Post
    Oh, I bet you enjoy their delicious baked beans though!!! And thier Market chicken. And their Cream donuts.

0 Not allowed!

I was just trying to help people save a little money on E-ZPass.

I didn't intend to start another "my state is better than yours" debate among New Englanders.
    don't worry, it's just horseplay...

but thanks for the info

I ended up just biting the bullet and buying the MA fastlane over the EZ pass because I figured the 1-time payment for a transponder would pay for itself in 2 years of ownership

0 Not allowed!

I know you were just trying to have fun. I spent much of my childhood in in Brattleboro, VT, and after that I lived in Denver, CO. When I came back to New England as an adult, I always found the argument about which is the best of the New England states to be kind of silly.

As far as E-ZPass/FastLane is concerned, there is an advantage to having an account from your home state if you benefit from a discount plan. My advice is aimed primarily at people who want E-ZPass for occasional long distance travel, not everyday commuting. If nothing else, paying up-front for the transponder is always a better deal than paying $1 every month (like dumb-ass New Jersey).

Am I a traitor to all of New England when I buy Kraft Philadelphia Brand cream cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    don't worry, it's just horseplay...

but thanks for the info

I ended up just biting the bullet and buying the MA fastlane over the EZ pass because I figured the 1-time payment for a transponder would pay for itself in 2 years of ownership

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by jimmyflyn475; 11-22-07 at 06:57 PM.

Boston is the best state in the Union!

0 Not allowed!

Am I a traitor to all of New England when I buy Kraft Philadelphia Brand cream cheese?
    No way, Bob Kraft owns the Pats and the Revs.

0 Not allowed!

Registered Architect Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

just got mine in from maryland... this was genious!

0 Not allowed!

NICE TRY, BUT...

As much as my cream cheese comment was meant as a joke, your attempt to reassure my loyalty to New England failed on two counts:

#1 While the Kraft Group may operate a number of different businesses, they have nothing to do with Kraft Foods. Kraft Foods is a subsidiary of The Philip Morris Company which now calls itself the Altria Group.

#2 As a child I spent a lot of time in Vermont with my Dad and his wife, but primarily I grew up with my Mom and her husband beautiful South Jersey, and to this day I'm still an EAGLES FAN.

(Yeah, yeah I know... they lost to the Pats Sunday night, go ahead and rub it in.)

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardo View Post
    No way, Bob Kraft owns the Pats and the Revs.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by jimmyflyn475; 11-27-07 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post
    just got mine in from maryland... this was genious!
    What is the minimum that you need to start an account with ?
    I wont be using this too often so I don't want to keep allot of money in that account.

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast