Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

reinstalled gas tank and fairings now my SV wont start.. any thoughts?

reinstalled gas tank and fairings now my SV wont start.. any thoughts?

Its a race prep sv. I took the fairings and tank off, drained the tank taped off the valves on the bottom of the tank. I sprayed everything (not the bottom of the tank) and then reinstalled. Hooked up both fuel lines and the electrical connector under the tank. Let it crank for about 20 seconds and then remembered it didnt have much fuel in it so I added fuel and then cranked more. It wont fire up.

In an 02 SV will you hear a fuel pump prime or running? Because I dont hear one. Also I pulled the fuel line off the right side of the bike and some fuel was coming out of it as I was cranking it over.

I cleaned the electrical connectors under the tank, I dont know if there was sediment in the tank and when i was cranking with no fuel it might have clogged something? Does it take a while to get fuel back through the system? Is 1.5 gallons enough fuel in it with the tank down to get it started? Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys. My first track day is Tuesday, and the bike is still fairly new to me (havent ridden it yet) but I know it ran.

-Lou

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Loun; 07-11-08 at 09:02 PM.
    Add me on LinkedIN
    Buying or selling a car? Free listings - FeaturedCars.com

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)
    88 YSR50 (Street Hilarity)

Re: reinstalled gas tank and fairings now my SV wont start.. any thoughts?

Did you set the petcock to PRIME or does it not have one?

Friends don't let friends wave to Can Ams

i dont believe it has one. Literally under the tank is just a small square "box" which I imagine houses a screen and 2 valves, one line flows fuel to the carb one goes to the throttle body (vacuum?) Other than that there really isnt much more to it. Thats why im thinking maybe something got plugged up? but id think with a little bit of fuel id at least get some sputter

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

It's carb'd right? It probably should have had enough fuel in the bowls to at least start up and run a little bit. Maybe something else isn't right.

I will check for spark in the morning but I really didnt change anything else. I did add a battery tender so its possible i knocked a wire off but i dont believe so and all the fuses are fine

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

no fuel pump on those. if you disconnect the fuel line but leave the vacuum line on and turn it over does it pour fuel out? maybe the vacuum line isnt attached to the carb.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

when i do that it does let fuel out but its not a heavy stream of fuel coming out. thats why i was wondering if maybe any sediment in the tank might have started to clog shit up.

Whats in that square thing under the tank is there a screen in it? worth taking the screws out and cleaning? (is it easy enough that i cant screw it up? )

But yea if i unplug the long hose at the carb side fuel will come out if i try to start it.

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

RTFM?

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

was too tired last night to figure that out, I assume thats "read the fucking manual? The manual is in the mail to my house, ordered one on tuesday just to have so im outta luck there too or I would have just gone to the manual :p Thanks guys I will figure it out today, there isnt much to them.

-Lou

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

That square thing (although not electric) is a fuel pump. It is vaccum driven and it also has a filter in it. I always prime the carbs with a little fuel or fog the airbox with some starter fluid.

How long has it been since it last ran?

Quote Originally Posted by Loun View Post
    Its a race prep sv. I took the fairings and tank off, drained the tank taped off the valves on the bottom of the tank. I sprayed everything (not the bottom of the tank) and then reinstalled. Hooked up both fuel lines and the electrical connector under the tank. Let it crank for about 20 seconds and then remembered it didnt have much fuel in it so I added fuel and then cranked more. It wont fire up.

In an 02 SV will you hear a fuel pump prime or running? Because I dont hear one. Also I pulled the fuel line off the right side of the bike and some fuel was coming out of it as I was cranking it over.

I cleaned the electrical connectors under the tank, I dont know if there was sediment in the tank and when i was cranking with no fuel it might have clogged something? Does it take a while to get fuel back through the system? Is 1.5 gallons enough fuel in it with the tank down to get it started? Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys. My first track day is Tuesday, and the bike is still fairly new to me (havent ridden it yet) but I know it ran.

-Lou

i was actually just on my way out to get some starting fluid. I pulled the filter out it looks fine, the diaphram looks fine as well and there was no crud in any of the assembly on the bottom of the tank. Lines look fine as well although im going to pick up some new clamps that are the right size.

The rear cylinder is getting spark the front one looks to be a pain in the ass to pull the plug so I didnt lol. The plugs are black but dont look bad and are not wet.

It ran a week ago when I pulled all the body parts off to paint them. Nothing else has changed in the equation other than a battery tender and it still ran fine with the battery tender. The battery was out of it for a little while since it last ran, is there anything that would reset causing it not to run? Bike is a race bike so no gauges, no kick stand.

Someone recommended checking the kickstand switch although I doubt thats been altered since it ran.

I will be back in an hour or so need to get the tires balanced and some starter fluid. Thanks for any suggestions.

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

It probably just needs the carbs primed. Keep a blanket and or fire extinguisher close by as a precaution.

i was actually just on my way out to get some starting fluid. I pulled the filter out it looks fine, the diaphram looks fine as well and there was no crud in any of the assembly on the bottom of the tank. Lines look fine as well although im going to pick up some new clamps that are the right size.

The rear cylinder is getting spark the front one looks to be a pain in the ass to pull the plug so I didnt lol. The plugs are black but dont look bad and are not wet.

It ran a week ago when I pulled all the body parts off to paint them. Nothing else has changed in the equation other than a battery tender and it still ran fine with the battery tender. The battery was out of it for a little while since it last ran, is there anything that would reset causing it not to run? Bike is a race bike so no gauges, no kick stand.

Someone recommended checking the kickstand switch although I doubt thats been altered since it ran.

I will be back in an hour or so need to get the tires balanced and some starter fluid. Thanks for any suggestions.

nevermind on the balancing... I absolutely dont get dealerships. Called 3 places and noone can balance a tire on a saturday because noone has techs on.. <rant>why the F would you not have a tech on during the only day someone that works for a living can get to a dealership. </rant>

Now I remember why i hate dealerships lol

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

why the F would you not have a tech on during the only day someone that works for a living can get to a dealership. </rant>
    MAYBE because the techs have LIVES also + work for a living 5 days a week already!!!!

JACKASS

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    MAYBE because the techs have LIVES also + work for a living 5 days a week already!!!!

JACKASS
    Yea because theres noone else that works a nights and weekend shift...

Hudson Cycle gets it, they actually have a tech on when people that work can actually take a bike it. Its an amazing concept actually... maybe have a day off during the week and still work saturday

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

nevermind on the balancing... I absolutely dont get dealerships. Called 3 places and noone can balance a tire on a saturday because noone has techs on.. <rant>why the F would you not have a tech on during the only day someone that works for a living can get to a dealership. </rant>

Now I remember why i hate dealerships lol

PM. Degsy on this board. He is the new Pirrelli rep and they do excellent work. I think he works 24 hours a day.

thanks, hudson cycle did it for 10$ a tire and it ook about 45 minutes for them to get to them. which gave me just enough time to go spent $110 at walmart across the street on random stuff i "needed". lol

The bike didnt start on a little bit of starting fluid. im going to put the wheels on, wheel it outside check connectors and maybe give it a bigger dose of starting fluid to see what happens.

I didnt change anything electrical unless something got bumped in disassembly. Would I get any spark if the kick stand switch wasnt activated?

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

Usually the kickstand switch won't even allow the bike to turn over.

thanks, hudson cycle did it for 10$ a tire and it ook about 45 minutes for them to get to them. which gave me just enough time to go spent $110 at walmart across the street on random stuff i "needed". lol

The bike didnt start on a little bit of starting fluid. im going to put the wheels on, wheel it outside check connectors and maybe give it a bigger dose of starting fluid to see what happens.

I didnt change anything electrical unless something got bumped in disassembly. Would I get any spark if the kick stand switch wasnt activated?
    Wouldn't even turn over. Be sure to open the throttle when trying to do the starting fluid. Closed throttle will not let it go.

Most bikes let you start in neutral if the kick stand switch is down.

the clutch has to be in though.

The bike runs now We checked everything, it had spark, it was getting fuel, it wouldnt run on ether, it wouldnt run with a jump pack hooked up to the battery...

We ended up sticking a screw driver in the Carb to make sure the Starting Fluid got as far down as possible and it finally kicked over. Let it warm up for a minute and then shut it off... fires up every time now.

Thanks guys! Saves my TT600 from some track duty and abuse lol.

-Lou

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)