Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

carb float repair

carb float repair

So I have been working on a 76 CB200 and have gotten it running. The riders right carb would always spew gas when the bike isn't running. my initial thought was a stuck float, just broke the carb down and it didn't seem like it stuck at all. upon closer inspection i noticed a small crack in one of the floats. the float looks like two small snare drums, one of them has a dent in it and were the dent starts there is a small fracture. dried everything off and sure enough when i tip the carb, gas comes out at the crack. i figure if one of the floats is full of gas, it of course isn't going to "float"as it should therefore acting as if it is stuck. is there anyway to fix this without replacing it? the float itself seems to be brass, i am almost wondering if i could solder it. thoughts? i've never tried to solder brass before.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Re: carb float repair

I think you're on the right track, solder it up once you know it's dry inside.

yeah, i'm thinking it is such a small float I should be able to heat it up with a hair dryer to make sure the inside is dry. I hope.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Small Butane torch

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Make sure the float is empty. You shouldn't hear anything inside, place it in a sunny window for a day or two.
    You can use a medium-to large-sized soldering iron, a small electronics one might take a while to heat the float (if it works at all). One of those "pistol grip" type irons might be a little much.
    Clean the area by abrading with very fine sandpaper (600 grit) or even lightly scrape the area with an X-Acto blade or similar. You can use regular electronics-grade solder, smaller diameter (.031" or smaller) will melt and wet the area quicker.
    It doesn't take much solder. Heat the float, then apply the solder to the float until it flows over the hole/ crack. Remember that the solder will flow towards the heat. Soldering brass is about as easy as soldering copper.
    Clean up any residual flux using isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.
    Verify your repair by placing in a bowl of water and look for bubbles.
    I have repaired a few brass floats over the past few years.
    Good Luck
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by ralphs View Post
    Make sure the float is empty. You shouldn't hear anything inside, place it in a sunny window for a day or two.
    You can use a medium-to large-sized soldering iron, a small electronics one might take a while to heat the float (if it works at all). One of those "pistol grip" type irons might be a little much.
    Clean the area by abrading with very fine sandpaper (600 grit) or even lightly scrape the area with an X-Acto blade or similar. You can use regular electronics-grade solder, smaller diameter (.031" or smaller) will melt and wet the area quicker.
    It doesn't take much solder. Heat the float, then apply the solder to the float until it flows over the hole/ crack. Remember that the solder will flow towards the heat. Soldering brass is about as easy as soldering copper.
    Clean up any residual flux using isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.
    Verify your repair by placing in a bowl of water and look for bubbles.
    I have repaired a few brass floats over the past few years.
    Good Luck
    Ralph
    first post is a winner!!! thanks for the in-depth walk through, i appreciate it and welcome to the board!

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

I had the same problem with my right carb spewing gas after i used a can of sea foam-it loosened up a bunch of old shit in my gas tank-i took apart the carbs-cleaned them and realized the rubber seals the keep the carbs airtight were worn-replaced them and had no problems after that. You could prob soder that if it has a crack-good luck!

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Don't use a torch, you'll melt the brass. Lesson learned the hard way...