Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I freakin' love heated grips!

Re: I freakin' love heated grips!

Quote Originally Posted by LaRNZ View Post
    jus ordered a set of these, now can i jus take a razor blade and cut my old grips off, cuz i still have a new pair of grips sittin around from when i bought my pazzo's, is there anything underneath the throttle grip that i could end up cuttin, never changed a set of grips before
    Yep! That's what I did. You'll save yourself time and hassle. Just be careful when you cut off the throttle side, sometimes the plastic is thin under there.

Also get a tube of grip glue. It'll help slide the new grip on.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
    Also get a tube of grip glue. It'll help slide the new grip on.
    Don't waste your money; get your girlfriend's hairspray (or your own, if you're kinda metro), and spray it on the insides of the grips. They'll slide right on when the hairspray is wet, and when it dries (it'll take a day, so don't go riding around for a bit), they're stuck. Hairspray is basically liquid glue.

Enjoy life! There's plenty of time to be dead.

2002 Suzuki SV650 Nekkid

http://www.squidbusters.com

CycleGear also carries grip heaters...$25 or $30 for the pair...

Wussy Ninjette Rider Thunderbisciut's Avatar

I ordered these last week to go with my Alpinestars SR2s to keep my fingers toasty.

I had one grip off today, compressed air took care of it real quick.

im about to get some of the heated grips mentioned above but had a question. if you use grip glue or hair spray to get them on, how do you change grips without damaging the heating element?

Tuono

Quote Originally Posted by catch2otwo View Post
    im about to get some of the heated grips mentioned above but had a question. if you use grip glue or hair spray to get them on, how do you change grips without damaging the heating element?
    Be very careful when you remove them. If you have compressed air you don't need any glue to get the grip on/off.

Quote Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
    Be very careful when you remove them. If you have compressed air you don't need any glue to get the grip on/off.

lol sounds dangerous for a hamfisted individual such as myself. o well i guess ill give it a go.

Tuono

I'm about to install some Sym-Tec heated grips that I bought, oh, about 5 years ago and never got around to installing them. Any tips/tricks I should know? I've heard that hairspray makes 'em easier to slide on. I'm not sure where I'll mount the switch yet, though I'd like to run them directly off the battery via a relay.

Reason I'm doing it now as I need to replace the bar ends, which (on a VFR) means the grips need to come off. Funny story, last time I had my grips off I found this little chestnut:

I freakin' love heated grips!-unnamed-jpg

Yes folks, that's about 3/16" of electrical tape. I guess the PO figured that was easier (!) than buying the right size grips for the handlebar tubes.

Last edited by number9; 04-26-15 at 01:33 PM.

Put a few wraps of electrical tape over the bar/clipon on the clutch side to help keep heat loss to the bar down. Yea, the symtec ones compensate for that a bit, but you'll want to do that anyways.
    Use the thinnest zip tie you can find as a strain relief. Tie the zip tie around the bar over where the wire leads exit the pads, so you're not directly straining the solder joints when you move the wires. The before you slide the grips on, use a knife to carve a chamfer on the inside of the grip where the zip tie is, and cut a little notch on the inside of the grip where the zip tie head is.
    I also installed a cheap $5 eBay led voltmeter so I can keep an eye on he battery when running heated gear, since the FZ6 doesn't have much extra juice to spare.
    When I get to a computer I'll link the pics of my install.

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Put a few wraps of electrical tape over the bar/clipon on the clutch side to help keep heat loss to the bar down. Yea, the symtec ones compensate for that a bit, but you'll want to do that anyways.
    Use the thinnest zip tie you can find as a strain relief. Tie the zip tie around the bar over where the wire leads exit the pads, so you're not directly straining the solder joints when you move the wires. The before you slide the grips on, use a knife to carve a chamfer on the inside of the grip where the zip tie is, and cut a little notch on the inside of the grip where the zip tie head is.
    I also installed a cheap $5 eBay led voltmeter so I can keep an eye on he battery when running heated gear, since the FZ6 doesn't have much extra juice to spare.
    When I get to a computer I'll link the pics of my install.
    Thanks Matt! That would be great. It took me about half an hour to find the damn grips in my basement, but now I have 'em. They come with a peel-back adhesive layer so they should be easy enough to get on. And they come with a hi/lo toggle switch too, but it doesn't look very water-resistant.

The instructions for the Symtecs say to use JB Weld to fasten them to the bar. Should I use hairspray instead?

Heated grips are like cheating. Pumping heat back into your body on a long cold ride makes a big difference in comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Chuck View Post
    where do i get these? hard install?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldan View Post
    anyone know where i can buy a set for my 675?
    Symtec grip heaters are sold lots of places: some use the snowmobile models instead.

If you want an easier install, Hot Grips is a NH company that sells a slip-on tube that replaces the standard grip. I prefer them because they increase the diameter as well and I have large hands. They cost more but are easier to install.

Triumph sells several controllers or switches that integrate well. Most Triumphs have a switched drop in the nose of the bike for grip heaters. Triumph also sells a heated grip kit for the 1050, likely other models.

Twisted Throttle sells a kit from R&G that has a five-position controller for $59.95 which is crazy cheap. Fits many bikes.

Oxford also sells a kit. BTW if you have aluminum bars the grips work better, especially on the left side where the heater is in direct contact with the highly conductive bars.

Last edited by Garandman; 04-26-15 at 03:57 PM.

BTW, if you are really lazy and have big hands, some V-Strom dudes buy the Symtec ATV heaters, wrap them over the standard grips, then slide on grip puppies (foam overgrips).

Funny this should come up. I'm debating spending big money on the factory Ducati grip heaters for my new bike. You will collectively snort when you hear the price, but it's very cool how they integrate with the bike. Plugs into harness. While running, the starter button controls the heated grips. dash displays settings. Ambient thermometer reduces heat above 60 degrees, and battery voltage is monitored. Auto off with the bike.

my cost, 245 bucks. Ouch. It's hard to slap some aftermarket solution on when this is all set up to go.

Paul_E_D

If it's that well integrated, I'd go with the factory parts in that case.

Normal is an illusion, what is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Yeah, I guess that's the Ducati tax! Thankfully, this bike sounds great stock, and the pipe even LOOKS great. No need to go with a ridiculously spendy exhaust anymore.

Paul_E_D

The Triumph kit is $239 and doesn't seem especially slick. I bought Oxford for $80.

Last edited by Garandman; 04-26-15 at 08:00 PM.

I went the other route and bought heated gear including gloves. This way all l need to do is put a $9 pigtail on each bike and I'm good to go. Remember heated grips heat your palms, heated gloves heat the outside of your hands where they are exposed to wind chill. My BMW has factory heated seat and grips and l have still used the heated grar..........ah to grow older.

Normal is an illusion, what is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Does Honda make heated grips for the RS125? That would have been nice this weekend!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    Does Honda make heated grips for the RS125? That would have been nice this weekend!
    I thought of that Roland!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    I went the other route and bought heated gear including gloves. This way all l need to do is put a $9 pigtail on each bike and I'm good to go. Remember heated grips heat your palms, heated gloves heat the outside of your hands where they are exposed to wind chill. My BMW has factory heated seat and grips and l have still used the heated grar..........ah to grow older.
    WHen it's really cold, I agree, nothing will beat the heated gear. There is something really appealing about being on a morning/evening ride, and just touching the starter button to warm up my hands though. So simple, no bulky gloves, and all reports say that it does the job despite not heating the backs of your hands.

I think I just decided. LOL

Paul_E_D

I have a Gerbing jacket and could easily add heated gloves. I prefer heated grips because I wear 3-4 different gloves. I've often used the grip heaters in summer to dry my gloves after riding through rain.

I want to set up my tractor to run the Gerbing!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Thanks Matt! That would be great. It took me about half an hour to find the damn grips in my basement, but now I have 'em. They come with a peel-back adhesive layer so they should be easy enough to get on. And they come with a hi/lo toggle switch too, but it doesn't look very water-resistant.

The instructions for the Symtecs say to use JB Weld to fasten them to the bar. Should I use hairspray instead?
    Here's some pics of my install on post #13. Heated grips, voltmeter, 12v outlet on same circuit? - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum
    Since then, I added a different (non-LED) waterproof rocker switch for the grip heaters, and used that LED one shown for my HIDs/halos.
    I use hairspray on my grips (just replaced the ones on my FZ6 last night actually).

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Here's some pics of my install on post #13. Heated grips, voltmeter, 12v outlet on same circuit? - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum
    Since then, I added a different (non-LED) waterproof rocker switch for the grip heaters, and used that LED one shown for my HIDs/halos.
    I use hairspray on my grips (just replaced the ones on my FZ6 last night actually).
    Thanks Matt! I'm pretty lazy, so what about getting one of these cables and hacking off the ring terminals?

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    BTW, if you are really lazy and have big hands, some V-Strom dudes buy the Symtec ATV heaters, wrap them over the standard grips, then slide on grip puppies (foam overgrips).
    Lazy? Check. Big hands? Check. This isn't a bad idea...

Last edited by number9; 04-28-15 at 07:35 PM.

OK, took the front fairing off the Tiger 1050 and found this right under the speedo:

Closer inspection found two. The left side in the picture has three wires (purple, black, and red/blue), while the connector on the right has two: one purple and one black.

Presumably the two pin connector is for heated grips. Is there a connector that will plug into this I can use? I can always just cut the connector and solder them, not like they are coming off.

Here's the Oxford kit, purchased from Twisted Throttle.

I wouldn't be so sure that the two-pin one is for grips. It could also be for lights. Or for an accessory power outlet, for that matter.

On my Tiger, the heated grip connector has three pins, one of which is intended for relay switching. The Triumph heated grip kit comes with a relay. If the one for the 1050 also comes with a relay, then that three-pin connector is probably the one you want.

Oddly, on my Wee-Strom the grip connector was two-pin and was already ignition-switched. Why Triumph chose to require a relay I couldn't tell you.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast