Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

4 Wheeler w/Plow ?

4 Wheeler w/Plow ?

I have a friend that is looking into getting a 4 wheeler for plowing his drive. He got rid of his big Deere and doesn't snowblow. What kind of luck have you guys had plowing with a wheeler. What HP should he not go down to. He has a 150'+ drive. I think he's nuts and needs to get a truck but thats me.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."

Re: 4 Wheeler w/Plow ?

I've got an 04 Yamaha Kodiak 400 with a heavy duty 4' Moose plow and I had no troubles last year with all the snow we got. Keep in mind I live near the coast so when we get snow, it's usually heavy, wet and ice!
    I've plowed upto a foot of snow at once, wasn't powdery but wasn't exactly wet either. I always plow with the blade at full angle and go as fast as I can. The more speed, the farther it throws the snow. You just need to plan ahead and plow your driveway as wide as you can each storm, once the snowbank packs and refreezes, it's not going to be easy to move.
    My driveway is 250' with parking at the end for 5 vehicles, plus I plow a trail to the firewood pile, and even sometimes down in the woods a bit and it takes me 20-30 minutes.
    Make sure it has an electric winch to raise and lower the blade

Yamaha

Good to hear it will work. His wife "gave him permission" to look into it and I'll be damned if I'll talk him out of it even if it doesn't work. He found a couple 6 fiddys with the elect. winch and low miles that he's looking at. Thanks for the info.

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."

lets not forget his master plan , " oh honey I thought the plow would work for the driveway " oh well I might as well keep the 4 wheeler and make good use of it by trail riding with it

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

i've plowed for years with one. they work well just takes awhile if you have a large drive. if his drive is tar and flat tell him to get a 60 inch "county" blade with the rubber flap on top. this type of blade throws the snow better/faster. i also would get nothing under 400 cc's.

personally i'm sick of plowing with mine. i could do my drive in ten minutes with a truck as apposed to freezing my ass of for a hour on the quad. what used to be fun has turned to a chore. next truck will have a plow.