Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

balance a washer?? OR can you transport a top load washer on its side?

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

balance a washer?? OR can you transport a top load washer on its side?

Puppet on this board gave me his washer when he left to go to seattle

We set it up in my house that I rented to some old room mates and it after 1 use, it would shake like hell, like a mac truck and sounded like a broken part in there?. So i put the old washer back in. I figured we transported it wrong or dropped it coming down the stairs.

That was a year ago.
    The original washer broke as in wont turn on etc( its 20 years old). So i have to buy a used one off craigslist( as puppets washer is still there but i thought broken) I have to transport this new Craigslist washer( top loader) from Boston to Providence.

1-Can I transport it on the side? any issues i have to worry about it?

2- Can the washer i thought was broke (puppets) be fixed easily by balancing it again? ( tried redistributing the clothes.. the levelling the fwasher on the floor)

I dont want to run to RI( I live in cambridge) try to fix puppets washer to replace the , cant as my tenants have been without a washer for 5 days now( I've been in CO)

Gf said a washer can become unbalanced.( never heard of it.)

0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: balance a washer?? OR can you transport a top load washer on its side?

I don't think you can put them on their sides as they have lag bolts in them for trans. We bought one last year. $800 POS. Shakes like a Harley. Put too much in it ,it shakes, put too little in it, it shakes. Total POS. Gonna sell it and get a top loader. Did i say POS? Actually takes longer to do a load so you don't save a dime of energy. POS!

0 Not allowed!
    GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

Does it leak oil?

0 Not allowed!

Have you tried chroming the lid?

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Perhaps not a "balance" issue...sometimes the drums have 3 or more large springs holding them centered. One may have come off during transport...

0 Not allowed!

I was GONE, Im back now! The Crashing Tomato's Avatar

Greg you're on the right track .... those springs are .... on most washers .... attached to 'bricks' (for lack of a better way of explaining) to help counter the violent action behind the walls of the washer.

You said it is a TOP load washer right? Well the top and front panels are not welded on there, so you have to pry the top front section up just like the hood of a car ( ha except there is no release pull .... lol but there are expansion type pins on most washers that hold the top panel in place) and then (there may be a screw and tab under this area that needs to be removed) you can slide the front panel up and off. there are two locating tabs on the bottom of the front panel that help reset it back when you are done. It takes some patience but should be fairly easy. once off you should see the wires and the springs and bricks. just like the tension on your bike chain .... the spring arrangement has tolerences and settings. not sure if you have time to look on line to find these, but it's worth the effort to save the $$$$ and time to go to P-RI

Another thought just crossed my mind .... you said you did some floor leveling? Are the back legs / feet of the washer stuck? you prolly already saw these and know that the back feet of the washer are self leveling.

0 Not allowed!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by hammadown .....
    The rule is:
    If even Zip Tie Alley says, "no you shouldn't use a zip tie on that" you REALLLLLLY shouldn't use a zip tie on that! lol

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

thanks for the input i appreciate it. I'l look a the springs tonight... the washer legs arent anchored. hopefully this wil fix it . i'm pickign up a used washer tongiht.. only 2 miles from home vs transporting one from boston to RI.
    I'm stuffing it with towels on the siide too keep the drum from hitting. possibly causing any damage.

0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Thanks. I learned something today.

0 Not allowed!
    You cannot be for big government, big taxes, and big bureaucracy and still be for the little guy.