Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Boston motorcycle parking...

Boston motorcycle parking...

I moved to Boston in august and finally got my bike up here just now. I work in the financial district on state street. I have noticed several spots with lines of bikes that seem untouched. One being out by the WTC on the outside of one of the pay lots, on the sidewalk. Another being right outside of the International Place main entrance. Then the third, being at broad and milk st. Since broad and milk is the closest to me, I decided to park there around 3pm today next to a beamer 1100. I came out at 5pm, and my bike was ticketed. The beamer was untouched. My ticket is for "meter fee unpaid". I dont understand, why did I get ticketed but the bmw that was there all day didnt? Anyone care to shed a little light, and/or tell me some safe spots to park in the financial district?

Ive also heard if you put a cover on the bike they cant touch it. Anyone ever try that?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Boston motorcycle parking...

its really hit or miss. 125 High Street has some spaces they typically do not touch. Also on the back of One Financial there is a small sidewalk the bikes squeeze up on. There is also a spot of Broad (right in front of the Central Parking lot that some bikes park) again its going to be hit or miss. I can get you paid parking (decent price) but I understand most bike riders want free and I cant give that. If you are interested in a decent monthly or daily rate pm me with your price and I'll see what I can do.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Wow, this is a subject that has NEVER been touched on before. (only every spring)

I haven't worked in the city in 2.5 years, but I used to park 10 feet from corners, where cars couldn't. Got 1 parking ticket.

Supposedly, if you cover it, the parking police aren't supposed to lift it. However, I've heard that they do anyway.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I don't have a specific answer, but in general...

take some time to ride around 10 am ish, once bikers are all in. I used to work in Boston on and off and every time it's different situation and opportunities. Sometimes there are "dead" spots due to construction and you'll see lots of bikes parked. I used to park it next to a loading dock at an office building. One of guys who worked there rode a bike and parked at the same spot too.

Be careful of wind, I had my bike knocked off a sidestand once. (fortunately it landed on someone else's car) In some places, wind is really bad on a windy day, so bike covers really increase your surface area.

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

they WILL in fact lift a bike cover that is TOTALLY FALSE!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

Quote Originally Posted by BostonSVkid View Post
    they WILL in fact lift a bike cover that is TOTALLY FALSE!
    So wait - will they or won't they lift a cover?

Cheers,
    Adam

"In the end, it is not about the 'hardware,' it is about the 'software.' Amateurs talk about hardware, or equipment, and professionals talk about software, or training and mental readiness."

'95 916 - '00 MILLE - '01 FALCO - '02 XX - '04 RSV-R 1060 - '04 S4R

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

Quote Originally Posted by TomBrady View Post
    So wait - will they or won't they lift a cover?

Cheers,
    Adam
    They WILL lift a cover if the bike is parked illegally.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

Quote Originally Posted by BostonSVkid View Post
    They WILL lift a cover if the bike is parked illegally.
    Yep, they sure will.

They're "not supposed to" but they do it.

The area I used to park in the Back Bay went to those electronic parking pass printing things, and now they ticket any bike on the street that doesn't have the receipt sticker on it.

The tickets started to cost more than the garage, so I stopped parking in the city.

Ehhh...there is already been a tread about this subject this year.

Cover the bike if you want to be in the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Ehhh...there is already been a tread about this subject this year.

Cover the bike if you want to be in the safe side.
    link?

I Dance With Will

Quote Originally Posted by ChikkenNoodul View Post
    Yep, they sure will.

They're "not supposed to" but they do it.

The area I used to park in the Back Bay went to those electronic parking pass printing things, and now they ticket any bike on the street that doesn't have the receipt sticker on it.

The tickets started to cost more than the garage, so I stopped parking in the city.

so they can do whatever the fuck they want. fuckin city. i hope it sink.

"fuckit!"

Quote Originally Posted by ChikkenNoodul View Post

And why wouldn't they? Are you surprised when you get a ticket for not feeding the meter?

Be Squid, Be Proud bostongixxer's Avatar

I'm over at the Seaport District (World Trade Center West). I just ride around the gate in my parking garage going in and coming out. Never an issue. Once was questioned and told them I have a monthly pass but the bike isn't heavy enough to trip the scanner. Some bikes park out on the sidewalk next to an open-air lot. Massport did ticket there for a period a year or so ago (their jurisdiction for sidewalks and other areas, I believe), but seemed to have stopped. Try the little ally by the Intercontinental on Atlantic.

2020 KTM SMC R
    2006 GSXR-600 Race (LRRS #199)
    NO LIMIT

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    And why wouldn't they? Are you surprised when you get a ticket for not feeding the meter?
    Absolutely not, I expected them to.

I'm just warning those that would try the old tricks in areas with the new meters.

I stopped parking there when they went live.

This is a very old thread, which apparently I started, but I had another question; Has anyone removed the plate from their bike so they cant be ticketed? It's gotten to the point now that metermaids are consistently lifting up my cover to out on a ticket, and all the meter spots are taken. So, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by loudog3114 View Post
    This is a very old thread, which apparently I started, but I had another question; Has anyone removed the plate from their bike so they cant be ticketed? It's gotten to the point now that metermaids are consistently lifting up my cover to out on a ticket, and all the meter spots are taken. So, anyone?
    Lou- you weren't parked behind 1 financial today on corner of Essex with a motorcycle cover in that little corner? I had the orange KTM and saw we all got tickets but one had a cover so I couldn't see...

You risk getting towed. Scooter dudes were doing this, and the cops started cracking down. The gooberment will not be denied revenue.

In fact a cop stopped me on Old Colony to ask if I could tell the difference between a Zuma 50 and 125. I was tempted to point out that he was about 100 yards from a scooter dealer....

Last edited by Garandman; 05-08-15 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tucoperk View Post
    Lou- you weren't parked behind 1 financial today on corner of Essex with a motorcycle cover in that little corner? I had the orange KTM and saw we all got tickets but one had a cover so I couldn't see...
    Nah was not me. I park on gridley next to the loading dock for my building on the 'sidewalk'. We're close though, maybe the same angry ticket nazi tagged us both. Havent people been parking around back of one financial for years? On friday they lifted my cover to ticket me. I was wondering about that spot on the sidewalk on the corner of the fiduciary trust building, near the crosswalk headed to one financial. I keep seeing uncovered bikes there.

Whats ridiculous about this whole thing is that I would gladly pay the parking meters for bikes, if I could actually find a free one.

I wonder how often the meter maids change beats... wonder how long I need to lay low before I go back to my gridley st spot that has been fine for weeks.

I wonder how often the meter maids change beats... wonder how long I need to lay low before I go back to my gridley st spot that has been fine for weeks.

It's ridiculous. I parked there all last summer with one ticket. It ended up being a new hire who ticketed everyone. I feel like everyone got busted on Friday so it must be a new person because I have seen the meter maids out my office window walk past our bikes every week this spring until yesterday. Frustrating with the inconsistency.

They are not highly paid or motivated. They do what they need to do to keep their jobs. They are aware they aren't ticketing millionaires, so they try to "spread the wealth" by hitting different areas.

That said, there is no particular sympathy for out-of-towners. Bostonians are generally quite reluctant to share their parking spots because those areas invevitably get abused by commuters, brings enforcement attention, and suddenly they are getting tickets as well.

It took an immense amount of effort to get even the few motorcycle spaces we have now. I lobbied the city (including lunch with Menino) and MassPort and BRA and BTD for years when MMA (a prize group of knuckleheads) said any progress was impossible.

Frankly I don't care if commuters can park in corners for free, or not. I'm still trying to get the Boston Common garage and other parking garages to update their switchgear so motorcycles can park there. That should bring more motorcycle tourists, who are more interested in secure than free parking. It's one of those "Relentless Upbeat Pressure" processes and mostly new players since Mayor Walsh took over.

Menino's "Bike [bicycle] Czar" was overtly hostile to motorcyclists, but times have changed.

Last edited by Garandman; 05-09-15 at 01:45 PM.

Meter maids eat their young.

PhilB

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Meter maids eat their young.
    Nah, they'd much rather take drugs.

If they write too few tickets their bosses get mad and if they write too many, their coworkers get on them for making them look bad.

They've let me skate many times. And FWIW you can appeal tickets by mail and every one my wife and I have appealed has been dismissed.

Whatever you do don't park where there is street cleaning as the commercial tow companies get most of the money and the dudes who work for them make meter maids look like Lady Di.

No, Just Taking the Parking Tickets Isn’t Cheaper Than Paying for a Garage

A bit of BS in that Meter Maids will very seldom give you two [$25] tickets if you are over time. In Resident Only areas the ticket is now $40.

Last edited by Garandman; 05-11-15 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Frankly I don't care if commuters can park in corners for free, or not. I'm still trying to get the Boston Common garage and other parking garages to update their switchgear so motorcycles can park there. That should bring more motorcycle tourists, who are more interested in secure than free parking. It's one of those "Relentless Upbeat Pressure" processes and mostly new players since Mayor Walsh took over.
    Do you know of any garages in the financial district offering discounted motorcycle parking? Personally, I don't ride my bike in for free parking. I ride it in for closer/less expensive parking and a quicker commute (I only ride in from Allston). I have a meter card, which I happily use whenever possible, but the meters are ALWAYS taken in the summer. So, if a garage would let me park my bike for less than $100 a month, I would probably take them up on that.

My thought is just that Boston just needs a universal paid parking pass for motorcycles. Have a sticker on the bike or some type of tag on the plate that says "I already paid the city for the right to park here, so don't ticket me", then just allow bikes with that tag to park between metered spaces, and in the various other on-street spaces that bikes use. Again, I do not mind at all paying the city to park, I just need a way to pay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast