Autobahn paint protection for car - pros & cons

Autobahn paint protection for car - pros & cons

Buying a new car and I'm thinking about having this placed on the hood and front of mirrors. Just looking for pros & cons with this product from folks who have experience with it. Does it work well enough and does it remain transparent for a fair length of time? Thanks.

0 Not allowed!

Posting Freak

Re: Autobahn pain protection for car - pros & cons

I know the earlier version of this would get a yellow tinge on it on any type of light colored paint... I have no expertise, just observation and complaints from friends that had this done. Oh, and if you wax the car, I had to use a toothpick to run the edges to get up the excess along the plastic...

0 Not allowed!

My father, who has done Auto Body for 25+ years hates autobahn. Says it's worthless, yellows over time, doesn't last and is way over priced. Hell, the guy who sold me my truck (re: dealership sales man who is suppose to PUSH stuff like that) told me it was worthless before I even asked my father his thoughts. Said it was a huge waste of money.

My openion, don't have one since I've never had personal experience with it like my father, though I don't trust any of that clear bra stuff. Just doesn't seem like it's going to last. I considered it when I had the front of my Evo repainted from speed chips but it just didn't sit well with me. Especially since you can see it from a mile away, or I can.

Good luck with your choice. What kind of car are you considering it for?

0 Not allowed!

I have it on my car. In my opinion, i wouldn't buy a car without it or not have it put on shortly there after. You have to buck up to the good stuff, usually the 3M thick version. The thin plasti-wrap type stuff is worthless. Mine cost about $500 installed, but you can get it for less. It holds up against alot of the smaller stones and such but will not stop a true rock. Does it yellow over time? Not too bad but can be replaced if you want. I spray mine down with 303 aerospace UV protector and seems to be fine, but my car is dark navy. Beyond around 7 feet the only give away that it is there is the lines. up close you can see it and it looks a little wavy. I'll give up that close look and keep the paint on the front of my car. New England roads are too harsh, especially during sand season. So does it work? i think so.

0 Not allowed!

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

My friend had this stuff on his Audi S4 (it was the thick 3M brand) and it worked great! Some one stole his headlights in Boston and when he had them replaced he also replaced the protectors because they were a little beat up (car had 70k on it at the time). I helped him peel the stuff off and the car looked 100% perfect underneath. If I got a really nice car I would get it. It definitely stops the sand from ruining your paint.

I have heard the thinner stuff is garbage and does yellow a lot more than the nice 3M brand stuff.

Also, Every high end car I have ever seen up close has this stuff on the front or the car and behind the tires.. just take a look at Porsches up close, you'll see they have it. Also seen it on a Ferrari and a Lamborgini. I highly doubt they would put this stuff on if it didn't save the paint.

0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the input guys.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

I have the 3M stuff on my car, it is 5 years old.

It's held up fine, nothing has gotten through it, but up close I don't think it looks very good.

It still wears even though stuff doesn't chip it away, and it just doesn't look exactly like paint up close.

The issue with getting wax stuck on the edges is real.. it never occurred to me to use a toothpick, good idea.

Mine was ~$500 installed when I bought the car as well, my brother sells cars and tells me we're all getting ripped off.. he got the "inside" deal at work on his car and it was like ~$100 or something way lower then normal. The materials are dirt cheap and a good tech can do it very fast apparently. (Big shops have a laser template machine that cuts the plastic to match the car and then they just have to stick it on.)

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by benVFR; 05-06-10 at 05:09 PM.

i run a collision center in Norwood and frequently use a company named Autobahnd to do our vehicles.. as for pricing, our company payout to them for a full kit is around $375.. customer charge is upwards of $575. i Completely stand by the stuff if they use quality products for install.. i even had the guy do the tank on my Ducati so now i have an invisible tank protector so my jacket or belt etc cant scratch it.. it is very reliable stuff and as far as the wax issue... just dont smear wax on the edge of it... another solution for the wax issue is a tooth brush with shortened bristles. if you need to talk more on this give me a call 774*200-6395.. i'll be glad to answer whatever i can and get you hooked up with the right people to do the job

0 Not allowed!

Re: Autobahn paint protection for car - pros & cons

I have this on my bike tank as a protector. Been on for years never faded looks great (you can barely see it) - oh yeah its the 3m stuff.

0 Not allowed!

less show, more go

If I had an extra $500, the last thing I would spend it on is something I can't even see when I am inside driving it.

0 Not allowed!

I have the BMW factory clear bra deal on my car, and it's already saved me a good number of big dings in the first year. I don't have any experience with this actual brand, but every car I get from now on, I'll go this route.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gadget View Post
    less show, more go

If I had an extra $500, the last thing I would spend it on is something I can't even see when I am inside driving it.
    $500 for paint protection or $1000 to repaint the entire front of the car (every few years if you like your car perfect) to take care of the nasty rusting paint chips.... you decide.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by landricscustoms View Post
    $500 for paint protection or $1000 to repaint the entire front of the car (every few years if you like your car perfect) to take care of the nasty rusting paint chips.... you decide.
    bah, how about neither...

I drive an Eclipse GT 2000. I don't pose.

If you're close enough to see the paint chips on the front of my car, pull the hell over and let me get by.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gadget View Post
    bah, how about neither...

I drive an Eclipse GT 2000. I don't pose.

If you're close enough to see the paint chips on the front of my car, pull the hell over and let me get by.
    lol...

0 Not allowed!

www.tintguyonline.com does it.. Bud of mine too..if serious let me know

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by zxme; 05-09-10 at 08:55 PM. Reason: cause

I have close to 190,000 miles on my audi and have the 3M stuff (thick). I've replaces my windshield 5 times from sand blasting, but the front of my car doesn't have a scratch.

Last year I started going through car washes with the car ( hand washed for the first 4.5 years) and it now has a slight cloudiness to it. It may be able to be buffed, I don't know.

I have the rear fender bump-outs done on my cobra too(3m thick clear spats), best money I've spent to keep the paint looking good. I drove the car for 200 miles without them and have a few chips, but since I put them on, no "new" chips

0 Not allowed!

Gas Tires and Oil Omahastylin16's Avatar

i never understood the purpose of spending that kind of money to protect your paint if your paint is gonna be covered by a scratched/dinged and yellowing film 100% of the time. why protect it if the only time it looks good is when you change the film at 500 bucks a pop

0 Not allowed!

It doesn't look bad all the time, if at all. it is simply there to protect the paint, which is does. It isn't noticable until you get right up to it. i'll take that over having chips, missing paint, and a rusty front.
    Again, in my personal opinion it works and is worth the money on a new(er) car. in fact many cars now have it, but driving down the road you don't see it on them.

0 Not allowed!

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omahastylin16 View Post
    i never understood the purpose of spending that kind of money to protect your paint if your paint is gonna be covered by a scratched/dinged and yellowing film 100% of the time. why protect it if the only time it looks good is when you change the film at 500 bucks a pop
    Because fixing chips and rust is MUCH more expesive than $500.

and I've never seen the 3M stuff yellow up.

I wish I got it on my Civic, I bought it new and put over 200k in 5 years and the front of it looks HORRIBLE!

0 Not allowed!

My wife drives from Boston to Burlington on 93 daily, and the front of her car was sandlblasted over the course of a couple winters, When she got her new Lexus last Fall we had the clear film put on (I can't remember the manufacturer but it wasn't 3M) and there's not a ding in it, and the IS has a really low nose. The installer said the products have come a long way and don't age much due to improved UV protection. He did his own CRV 4 years ago and it looked brand new. If you're the type who keeps cars a long time I would invest in the protection.

0 Not allowed!

I work at a NH Acura Dealership and the Autobahn guy is always at the shop installing kits. Im considering getting my bike setup with it as well. I need to talk to the installer to see what it would run me and what he would suggest.

I dont have long term experience with the product but I laughed when I read this post:

"My father, who has done Auto Body for 25+ years hates autobahn"

Just re-enforces in my mind that it must really protect the paint

-Lou

0 Not allowed!

Just ask, Be surprised!

i have on my car. I had it installed the day i bought it new. It was replaced once due to an issue with the paint under the clear film.

when I look back. I wish I had the option of doing the whole bonnet. Then there would not have been a line. The edges do look a little funny as dirt can work its way in.

regarding automatic car washes. I have been using them since day one. Most of the wash is just a rinse as I am getting the grim and dust off and in winter the salt.

would I do it again??? not sure. I do not tail gate cars where the rocks are thrown up. I tend to drive in the front of everyone else where there is no dust and stones.

I have asked the Autobahn folks about adding some patches where I place my ski racks. then when it comes time to sell the car. I peel all this away and bham. a perfect paint

0 Not allowed!