Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Novice Tire Question

Novice Tire Question

I am shopping for my first set of DOT race tires. I know i want to get the N-TECH GP-A's but here is my question.

My question pertains to tire sizes. I ride an old 2001 R6, the original tire size is 120/60 F and 180/55 R. Now the first few track days i did on this bike i did on Q2's 120/70 x 190/55. The 120/70 Front was a mistake. I asked for a 120/60 but got a 70 by mistake and didn't notice until i had already rode on them so i kept them thinking it wasn't a big enough issue to complain about. I fell down a couple of times on them. I kept messing up and loosing the back end and i was complaining that i didn't even feel it sliding out until i was on the ground watching it leave me. A buddy suggested that I try a pair of decent GP-a Take offs, and see if i can feel it slipping then. I did try them and i could feel the slip before it kicked out and it helped me realize when NOT to over twist the throttle. But i noticed that the take offs that i had gotten from Dunlop where 120/70 X 190/60. Now the reason i want a 190 over a 180 to help me out a little with grip when i am too aggressive with the throttle at lean. At least that was my train of thought when i chose a 190 over the 180. AM I WRONG? and what Tire Size is the best to have for my 2001 r6. not best for the bike turning in or HP. I know the factory settings make it turn in faster and also are lighter so i will go faster but I need a tire that will, (if it can) help save my ass when i make a small mistake. which tire will give me the most eF up forgiveness. Now before the peanut gallery chimes in, I know an expert can take my stock size and some plain Jane street tires and run circles around me. But I'm no were near expert and my rider class should read the "eF up" after novice. With that i Need something that will give me just a little forgiveness from time to time for MY faulty input.
    With that can some of you fine Gents inform me on these three things so i can make a somewhat educated purchase.
    #1 what are the pros vs cons of the different tire size combos?

#2 which one do you think will be best for me? 180/55 R & 120/60 F-----190/55 R & 120/60 F------ or 190/60 R 120/70 F?

#3 why is the GP-A 190/60 so much more than the 190/55? is it that much better in performance or is it just a hight preference?

Thank you for your time and knowledge in advance.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS/CCS AM# 240
    Sponsored by: Smoke Shack Southern BBQ - StreetAndComp.com - AXO - Woodcraft

Re: Novice Tire Question

all Novices should be on Bridgestones (from Steet & Comp) or Continental tires.
    these are the only tire brands that pay out contingency, and they both pay up to 4th or 5th place.

you wont notice the difference in grip till you're at AM level.

but to answer your question.
    190/60 - newer US compound. dont last as long
    190/55 - older UK compound. harder to get now

the 190/60 will require you to raise your rear shock up. Steve at Dunlop has a chart to help.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Faceplant View Post
    these are the only tire brands that pay out contingency, and they both pay up to 4th or 5th place.

you wont notice the difference in grip till you're at AM level.

but to answer your question.
    190/60 - newer US compound. dont last as long
    190/55 - older UK compound. harder to get now

the 190/60 will require you to raise your rear shock up. Steve at Dunlop has a chart to help.
    Thank you. I went with Dunlop only because i have tried them like them and they are cheaper than the Bridgestones. Dunlop are 339 to 369 new depending on size and Miles told me about 400 for the Bridgestones.

Why must i raise the shock? I have a rebuilt (racetech) stock shock. no hight adjustment. But i have 190/60 on now. What am i hurting by not lifting rear shock?

- - - Updated - - -

also im way to slow to think about any contingency money lol

LRRS/CCS AM# 240

you wont be slow forever. if you're fast enough to bump to AM, then chances are you'd be getting contingency. it's just something to think about.

the 60 tire is a taller profile, so you'll have to adjust the rear height if you came from a 190/55 or 180/55 tire. i think it was 7mm for me when i switched from the 180/55 continental to the 190/60 dunlop

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

you wont be slow forever. if you're fast enough to bump to AM, then chances are you'd be getting contingency. it's just something to think about.

the 60 tire is a taller profile, so you'll have to adjust the rear height if you came from a 190/55 or 180/55 tire. i think it was 7mm for me when i switched from the 180/55 continental to the 190/60 dunlop
    Thank you for the food for thought and the knowledge.

LRRS/CCS AM# 240

I liked the tires, but there's no more Conti contingency, and the distributor rob@lithiummotorsports.com stopped paying it midway through last season and turned into a f**ktard in any case.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128