Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is the Futura a good bike?

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Is the Futura a good bike?

Aprilia RST1000 Futura

Is that a good bike? What are "typical issues" and what to look out for.

Ive always liked them, but stayed with Ducati for a long time. Now that I've been Duc-free for 3 years, I'm looking around. (I followed an FZ1 page for a year, decided to pass on those issues.)

TIA ...

EDIT -- meanwhile, I'm perusing this:
    https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...mation-Repairs

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by whynot; 03-29-24 at 09:30 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

Lifer

Re: Is the Futura a good bike?

I've looked at them off and on for several years. They seem pretty solid but lose value quick. Most reviews for them are from Europe where they are very popular tourers. As usual the Aprilia tax will come into play for any parts you need. One of my friends compares it to an fj.

Thanks. Prices that I see now and then look reasonable, $3K vicinity. Specs on line show dry weight at 463#, heavier than I had thought ... .

I thought I googled a Triumph Sprint ST instead of the Futura. They look very similar!

What issues does the FZ1 have? I've owned a couple and must have missed the memo on the issues....?

I owned one for a year, for context this was about 12 years ago and after owning multiple RC51's and a Speed Triple. I thought the engine was pretty soulless, with some grunt (could wheelie pretty easily), had a Staintune exhaust and sounded like an angry sewing machine. Bike was an absolute nightmare to work on, the number of bolts and fasteners required to remove all the fairings... I can't overstate how awful it was. Parts availability is a challenge.

It was pretty comfortable for me, my wife still talks about how comfortable the pillion seat was.

I see them very inexpensively priced on Marketplace, for me there are many, many bikes I'd choose over it. I don't love my current Triumph Rocket, but much prefer it to a the Futura.

Hyper

Well at least it’s incredibly ugly

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Well at least it’s incredibly ugly
    People like VFRs too.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Lifer

“The Aprilia RST1000 Futura uses a detuned version of the able and respected Rotax-built 60-degree V-twin from the universally admired RSV sportster. Sadly the Aprilia RST1000 Futura loses a little in the translation, ending up with neither the RSV’s power nor VFR-rivalling midrange. And the V-twin vibe seems strangely at odds with the Futura’s sleek, 21st century styling.” - MCN

Thanks to all, I am cured haha

Think I'll re-consider a first-gen FZ1, the exploding rotor is the main concern. But then any 20-year old bike will have "issues." Well-sorted examples are usually more than I want to pay for a used bike. Maybe a new XSR900?

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    People like VFRs too.
    Honestly the only issue with the VFR is that bulbous ass, proportions are all off. The 800 cc V4 is an absolute treat to ride.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

i friggin love the 800 vfr. tri color please. One of my bigger regrets of not buying one when i had the chance. Such a fun motor. Not the fastest but that kick into power was a hoot.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    i friggin love the 800 vfr. tri color please. One of my bigger regrets of not buying one when i had the chance. Such a fun motor. Not the fastest but that kick into power was a hoot.
    That’s the bike I took cross country.

Is the Futura a good bike?-dsc_2068-jpg

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Sexy beast right there.

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    Maybe a new XSR900?
    I'm selling my 2016 XSR900 anniversary (again). From what I understand the 2nd gen fixed most, if not all, of the gripes I had with the first gen; namely suspension.

Curious, why go from shopping for FZ1 type of sport tourer to the XSR? The XSR kinda beats me up when I do 400 miles in the Saddle with no wind protection but it is a great bike.

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    I'm selling my 2016 XSR900 anniversary (again). From what I understand the 2nd gen fixed most, if not all, of the gripes I had with the first gen; namely suspension.

Curious, why go from shopping for FZ1 type of sport tourer to the XSR? The XSR kinda beats me up when I do 400 miles in the Saddle with no wind protection but it is a great bike.
    Thanks for the insights. To answer your question, I'm not a sensible person. I saw a 2024 XSR900 on the floor at Billerica Yamaha, place I started going to 50+ years ago when it was Center Harbor Marine, bike looks great except I don't like the chopped back-end bare-ass look of many new bikes, and Jared talked the bike up, he just bought one for his personal consumption. Then a little sense crept in, mostly money-wise, that is, and at the same time I came across a 2005 FZ1 from a known, trusted seller, and I'm going to check it out this morning, have some cash in my pocket for a deposit if all is well with the bike, or good enough, anyway. I looked into the FZ1 exploding rotor situation, and it turns out 2005 is exempt, Yamaha used the grenading rotors 2006-2014. Also, I like carbs, no fuel pump etc. to worry about.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by whynot; 04-02-24 at 07:28 AM.

Lifer

I agree, that xsr ass is weird

Why won't they give us the XSR900 GP!!??

Is the Futura a good bike?-xsr900gp-jpeg

Last edited by jeantarrou; 04-02-24 at 08:16 AM.
    Hyper

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    Why won't they give us the XSR900 GP!!??

Is the Futura a good bike?-xsr900gp-jpeg
    That looks great [thumbsup]

The fairing reminds me of Ducati 900SS CR half-fairing. From what I see on line, price is $12506 EUR converts to $13,465 USD, that would be MSRP I guess, not bad, if it makes it here at that price, about $1200 more than the naked 2024 XSR900.
    https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/gb/en/mo...sr900-gp-2024/

In other news, I bought the '05 FZ1 this morning, got the paperwork, going to see my insurance agent this afternoon. Details to follow ... .

Lifer

The blue one in RI with the aftermarket pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    The blue one in RI with the aftermarket pipe?
    Yes -- No -- Yes

I bought one brand new, 2004 asphalt flat black. Absolutely loved that bike. Never an issue keeping up on group rides. I miss it everyday. Would love another one.

Lifer

I also can vouch for the VFR. I bought my VFR on this forum from a forum member 13.5 years ago to replace my FZ6 at the time. Since then, I have benefitted from a growing garage and collection of bikes. I have bought and sold many. The VFR stayed. I just took my 2007 RWB anniversary model for a ride this past weekend and was reminded of how good the overall package is. Yes, my Multistrada has better suspension, more power and better brakes. But the VFR is special. It is hard to explain. You can come take mine for a spin if it helps with decision making. The 2005 FZ1, the older generations, do appeal to me as well. Much better range and touring abilities than the second generation FZ1.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

rides bikes

came here to say this...those 2008ish RWB VFR800s with vtec are sweeeet. I've missed out on a few of them. I'm a sucker for any RWB Honda though...

I had a Futura for a short period of time. I always wanted one as I do love sport touring motorcycles. I saw a local guy had one with all the good mods and fixes to known issues with these bikes. Regulator, and dash had known issues. This one was sorted and it ran well. The issue I had is with its brakes. Wow! Have brakes come a long way in the past 20 years. Talk about wooded brakes! I sold it shortly after satisfying the itch with a couple long day trips on the bike. It honestly has the best seat in all of motorcycledom. But I really wanted newer and money is spent here on motorcycles and very little else so off I went to the Kawasaki dealer and bought an H2 SX SE. The one with the adaptive cruise. Let me tell you about adaptive cruise on a sport touring bike. That clip-ons feel low after being stuck behind a long line of cars doing 50mph on a double yellow. Put on the adpative cruise and you sit up and let the radar keep pace while you steer with you finger tip or weight shift while sitting straight up. Brilliant!

Back to the Futura... Best seat of any motorcycle I have ever ridden. All day comfort. Heavy steering and a heavy bike with brakes that make you wish it were lighter. Yet it did the job really well for all day blast up north where the taco's grow large and the roads are never straight.

Is the Futura a good bike?-img_0124-2-jpg

Send cash... I need a track day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast