Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bombi, my winter project

Bombi, my winter project

A family friend has this Bombardier Bombi kicking around that needed a lot of love. Being the sucker I am I decided to take on the project. Short term goal is to get it running better and clean up the spiderweb of wiring. Saturday I got it started, got the clutch broken free and brought it home.

Sunday it was warmer out so I cleaned it up and drove it carefully into the shop.

To access the fuel tank and brakes you need to remove the cab. The fuel line needs to be routed better and the tank needs to be drained and cleaned. I'm in the process of popping off the grille and winch. Gotta clean up some of the wiring before I can pop the top too. Pretty much a pain in the ass but it'll be good to be able to hoe out the cab of all the crap that's in there and start with a clean slate.

2 Not allowed!

Re: Bombi, my winter project

That is pretty cool. I'd love to have something like that, and more importantly, I'd love to have a reason to have something like that.
    Good luck with it!

0 Not allowed!

You fucking Vermont guys do/have the coolest shit. (Not you doc)

Jk doc, I love you.

3 Not allowed!

When it's running it'll get a lot of use in the sugar woods. It's a lot easier on the forest and equipment than trying to break trail with a Rhino or tractor. We're already dreaming up a rack/basket system for the roof. I'm going to try to talk the owner into a fresh coat of paint. Winter camo if I get my way.

Saturday night after it had been in the driveway all day I was talking with my wife and she thought I had bought it. Best part was is that she was fine with that!

4 Not allowed!

A retired ski area relic I assume...

0 Not allowed!

that's awesome, keep the pictures coming if you can. I live stuff like that.

nice jeep

0 Not allowed!

A guy at work has a project like that. I can't remember the make of his cat. But it sounds like it is in similar condition. He has a camp way the hell out in the middle of nowhere in Maine and intends to use it there. He says you often can't get into the camp by truck for a day or two after it snows. They stage snowmobiles to account for this. He says loading up one of these will be easier.

The story he tells is that he "never intended" to buy it, but took the trailer with him to check it out "just in case". Telling this story, most of us nodded our heads, understanding how that goes.

0 Not allowed!

Awesome. I've always wanted an old groomer myself.

Whats it got for an engine?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    A retired ski area relic I assume...
    It was used by Vermont Electric Coop (a local electrical utility company). Originally it had 18" wide steel tracks on it for summer time use but they were spent. It came with the 23" aluminum snow tracks as well so that's whats on there now.

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    Awesome. I've always wanted an old groomer myself.

Whats it got for an engine?
    It's a 1600 cc Ford industrial four cylinder motor. Speed isn't it's thing - it supposedly tops out at just over 20 mph. The little bugger is rugged though. If you believe the literature it'll climb a 60 degree slope and handle a 60 degree side slope. Less than 3/4 psi of ground pressure.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    It's a 1600 cc Ford industrial four cylinder motor. Speed isn't it's thing - it supposedly tops out at just over 20 mph. The little bugger is rugged though. If you believe the literature it'll climb a 60 degree slope and handle a 60 degree side slope. Less than 3/4 psi of ground pressure.
    Considering a military Humvee will handle a 60* side slope angle, I'd bet that thing could do the same easily. It looks like all the weight is literally right at ground level.

0 Not allowed!

It's a 1600 cc Ford industrial four cylinder motor.
    sounds like a Pinto motor

One of my clients once tried talking me into buying one of the old Tuckers (50's?) that he has with a Chrysler slant 6

0 Not allowed!

Bombi, my winter project

My grandfather had one he used for logging. His however, was much bigger and he used it for logging. Had an open roll cage instead of a cab. I remember him using it all the time but I was young when he passed so it got sold and I never had a chance to drive it. Seeing your pictures brought back some memories as until today, I'd never seen another one.

0 Not allowed!

Thats awesome......Dootalk guys would love that

0 Not allowed!

My tractor with snowblower seems so much less cool now...

--mark

1 Not allowed!

Tracked vehicles rock - the ground pressure for some of them is less than a human foot. This is much more practical than the ones I'm familiar with.

0 Not allowed!

I'm pretty sure one of those wouldn't fit in my shop. Well it would fit but it would make a hell of a mess getting in there.

0 Not allowed!

Cooooooool!!!!!!

0 Not allowed!

I'm pretty sure one of those wouldn't fit in my shop. Well it would fit but it would make a hell of a mess getting in there.
    Dooo itttt

0 Not allowed!

Let me put it in Army perspective. The Army bought the most heavy-duty Chevrolet Diesel Blazers, with the highest-rated axles, electrical systems, etc. Know what it was called? "Truck, Utility, Light Duty." Those M60A3's weighed 60 tons (the latest Abrams weighs more) and had a twin turbocharged V-12 1,790 cubic inch diesel.

From the Bombi Wiki - "As a result of its wide tracks, [58 cm (23 inches) in winter and 45 cm (18 inches) in summer], it exerts as little as 0.54 and 0.70 psi of ground pressure at 125 mm (6 inches) penetration and it can operate on 60% horizontal and 80% vertical slopes; its top speed is 20 mph or 32 km/h. This is achieved with a 1.6 litre or 98 cu. in. 57 hp. inline four cylinder Ford industrial engine "

Pretty cool!

0 Not allowed!

I've been surprised at just how many dofferent types of snow-oriented vehicles have been made. Hundreds if not thousands of different styles, something for every task. I just can't really figure out the application of the weird sled a buddy of mine almost bought. He did buy a 1970 SkiDoo from the guy, may have gone back for the Passe Par Tout later.

For scale, Larry is 6'3".

High tech cockpit it ain't:

The labeling:

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    I've been surprised at just how many dofferent types of snow-oriented vehicles have been made./
    Arctic "Snow Train"

Hagglunds [Swedish] BV-206, used in limited roll by US military.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-04-12 at 11:10 PM.

If you believe the literature it'll climb a 60 degree slope and handle a 60 degree side slope. Less than 3/4 psi of ground pressure.
    60 degree side slope? Does it mention needing studs in the tracks for that? That actually sounds like a great way to get into trouble. A lot of Tuckers, Pisten Bullies, etc, slide off snowmobile trails like that and it's pretty dangerous without studded tracks. I rarely see Tuckers without studded tracks now.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    One of my clients once tried talking me into buying one of the old Tuckers (50's?) that he has with a Chrysler slant 6
    Don't forget the 5 speed manual transmission. Those old Sno-Cats are cool too, break a lot though.

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    I've been surprised at just how many different types of snow-oriented vehicles have been made.
    back in the day there were somewhere around 40 manufacturers building snowmobiles alone (not the cool stuff in this thread, actual personal snowmobiles). Harley, Evinrude, Johnson, Skiroule, Rupp. Almost hard to believe only 4 manufacturers survived.

Edit.....definitely some cool hardware in this here thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Slyder; 12-05-12 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    60 degree side slope? Does it mention needing studs in the tracks for that? That actually sounds like a great way to get into trouble. A lot of Tuckers, Pisten Bullies, etc, slide off snowmobile trails like that and it's pretty dangerous without studded tracks. I rarely see Tuckers without studded tracks now.
    The Bombi isn't designed solely for use in the winter. It has the wider snow tracks on it now but also had a set of metal tracks for summer time use. I can see the occasion when a side slope would be possible in dry weather. Not that I would want to try it but I wouldn't want to climb an 80 degree pitch either.

This is the rats nest of wires I'm dealing with. Most of them are defunct and poorly cobbed together. I'll be starting from scratch on this. I'm going to redo the awesome fiberglass work on the dash too.

0 Not allowed!

Growing up our town had small Bombardier tracks that plowed the sidewalks. Looked a lot like this one.

Newer model (2002).

0 Not allowed!

The fellow that owns the one I'm working on had a similar sidewalk plow. It was newer than the first example but older than the second. It ran well but was a whole lot heavier and didn't do as well in the snow. Probably best suited for what it was designed for.

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast