Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

knee protection (separate thread)

knee protection (separate thread)

okay, the only 2 times I've gotten hurt are MX with the knees

I'm taking feedback on knee protection because I want to keep riding...

currently leaning towards 661 Kyle Strait: low profile, pads on the side, hard cup over the kneecap, splits betwee and straps to keep the velcro from sliding up, doesn't slip video review here

661 kyle strait:

here's the info from the other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by gregp
    You can get a set of cheap knee guards at any sporting goods store. I just cut and trim them to fit under my pants, and rest on the top of my boots. They are important.
    Quote Originally Posted by R7
    Make sure your socks go up past the knew, it makes wearing knee pads waaaaaay more confortable. Last year was the first time I started wearing knee pads..one of those peices of gear that is hard to get used to wearing IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    I ride with a set similar to the middle ones. I have the 661 Kyle Strait ones. Love them. Had the Tomcat version too which are very good but harder to find now. Hard shell over the knee and plenty of padding everywhere else you will need. Should solve the side impact against the tank since there is soft padding there.

The top ones look like they have soft padding. I have a set similar to those as well. I didnt know that is what they had for padding when I ordered them. I would not ride with them especially in the woods where you are likely to have impacts with sharp hard objects like rocks. Might be ok for a soft MX track but I still wouldnt risk it.

I also have a couple of sets similar to the bottom ones. Retired them when I started riding the the 661 stuff. Good protection up front from impacts. If you wear a good MX boot then there is no need for the shin padding on these. It just goes in the boot and makes riding a little uncomfortable for me. No side padding which I believe is what youre looking for.

Personally I would go for the ones in the middle if they have the hard cup over the knee cap. If not then I would suggest the 661 Kyle Strait or Tomcat if you can find them.
    sheppo: motorcycle superstore

chipper: buy from rockymountainatv

type1: http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/ https://www.denniskirk.com/outlet

and Fox Titan Pro Knee Guards:

I have something like this from bilt, and they do nothing for the knee...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-03-13 at 06:35 PM.

Re: knee protection (separate thread)

do you want my Fox Titans? i'm open to offers, they're basically new (one practice session).

Beta 200RR

I would go with the Full shin and knee gaurds....more is better and taking a rock or limb off the shin isnt fun

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    do you want my Fox Titans? i'm open to offers, they're basically new (one practice session).
    ya, I'll take 'em

PM sent

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-09-13 at 10:51 PM.

thanks, man. tried to PM you back but your box is full.

should be able to ship them out today, if not (meetings later on), definitely tomorrow.

Beta 200RR

that was faster than Amazon...thanks for shipping those out so quickly! I'll let you know when they come in

Beta 200RR

so the fox titan looks like it'll offer excellent protection! hard plastic and rotates with the knee...but maybe it was size, or my skinny leg, but it fit lousy, barely held onto my skinny leg, and slid down under my pants before I even got on the bike...

so I also tried the alpinestar bionic knee guard...

same - they were bulky, barely stayed on, very uncomfortable despite very positive reviews online

I had pretty much given up on the hard plastic-rotate-around-your knee type guard...but my friend gave generally positive reviews on Troy Lee Designs Shock doctor, so I went into the local moto gear retail shop to try them out and buy them...

the TLD/Leatt rep was actually in the shop, and he recommended the leatt dual axis knee guards - he said people even mountain bike in them...

I was thinking they would also be too big for my chicken leg size thigh...but they weren't. In fact, the straps were a bit tight (so I'd have room to stretch 'em out a bit)

Walked around in them a bit, tried the slide-on TLD designs (and hated it), put the Leatt back on and bought it...I rode home on the YZ250 and almost forgot they were there! Rode a couple 3rd gear wheelies for good measure

Finally got a set of knee guards that I like! Shin protection for when I drag my leg on the peg too!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-22-15 at 09:52 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

+1 for the Leatt Dual Axis, love em.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    the TLD/Leatt rep was actually in the shop, and he recommended the leatt dual axis knee guards - he said people even mountain bike in them...
    Probably downhill MTB, not so much for the sit-n-spin trail riding. You don't peddle much in downhill. I've got a pair of these Dainese Knee V (or a nearly identical model) and it's pretty comfortable. But like some of the other taller models you've posted, how's it work with riding boots? I don't think I'd want to use these with dirtbike boots.

nedirtriders.com

Clinton, are the joints durable? Are they screws that will come loose during rides?

Paul_E_D

yes, joints are very durable and smooth. no pant or bike interference issues (for me). i've got plenty of hours on them with a handful of good wrecks.

there are two screws on each side (4 per guard) but i have not had any of them move at all. the outside heads are round and smooth, inside has an allen bolt with a little velcro patch that covers them. haven't tried taking them apart.

wearing in-the-boot style MX pants, they don't move at all. have not tried them with over-the-boot pants.

the straps can be uncomfortable when brand new on long rides, and i've had one ride up once or twice, but you learn where and how to strap to your leg to avoid it. which i think is common for any knee guard that has straps above and below the knee. depends how much you sit too. overall the straps are super comfy (for me). i like the quick-connect style buckles as well. once you set the strap length you're good to go. snap in/out nice an secure.

highly recommended.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by typeone; 01-23-15 at 02:45 PM. Reason: added images
    Beta 200RR

in the first pic above, you can see where there is a nice thick, padded section that goes under the strap itself. this is the part i'm talking about that you learn to position. too bunched up at the back of the knee and it can chafe.

non-issue for me anymore though.

Beta 200RR

I bought the dual axis around September, after my Fox Titans moved aside during a crash and allowed my meniscus to get banged up (it hurt for 2 months). Absolutely the best $100 I've spent on gear. They seem bulky as hell when you hold them in your hands, but they disappear once you're on the bike and riding. The padded thingie that goes between your knee and the strap definitely takes a minute to position right when you put them on. I love mine, and i'm buying the elbow pads from Leatt as I'm guessing they're similarly awesome.

I got the other leatts, the enduro ones. Similarly radical and comfy.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Well then, looks like I know which knee and elbow pads to check out now. Hopefully Leatt stuff works for the larger people as well as the more normally sized.

Lifer

Same. Price even seems reasonable. Unusual for Leatt products.

The $20 Fox pads I bought leave a lot to be desired. I'm about due for an upgrade.

the leatt knee guards have been crash tested - I made a spectacular wipe out which involved being separated from the bike, rolling, bopping all the major hard parts of my body on a hard surface, and ending up with very sore wrists/shoulders/hips/ankle, some rash where my other gear slid up, but my knees - unscathed!

I highly recommend them! heck, I can't ride a dirt bike without 'em anymore...

if you want even more comfort - get a *tall* dirty sock - something that goes up past the knees, and then you put the leatt knee guards on top, and no chafing occurs

from the whole dirt gear arena - those knee guards, helmets, and dirty boots are real protection. Gloves, mx pants, jerseys do very little, and the pressure jackets are in between

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-01-15 at 08:34 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: