Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Storage units that permit motorcycle work?

Storage units that permit motorcycle work?

My current living situation means I may need a place to store both the VFR and the KTM. Are there companies that will let you do small amounts of mechanical work in their units, or is it more of a "don't ask, don't tell" type thing?

I guess the obvious problem is I'd need a source of lighting and/or electricity. And yeah, if I spill a bunch of oil, I better clean it up quick-smart...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Storage units that permit motorcycle work?

I've used two and we have several in my response area. Generally it's one person who works in an office or none at all and all done over the phone. Once you get the gate code you're on your own. But like you said, power and lighting become the issue and they do not have outlets in them for this very reason. Also be careful of the cameras, they are loaded with them. If you can get in and close the door to your unit a little bit I would think you'd be fine as long as you are careful. The last thing you want is 3 quarts of oil spilled.

Last edited by 01xj; 04-07-16 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    I've used two and we have several in my response area. Generally it's one person who works in an office or none at all and all done over the phone. Once you get the gate code you're on your own. But like you said, power and lighting become the issue and they do not have outlets in them for this very reason. Also be careful of the cameras, they are loaded with them. If you can get in and close the door to your unit a little bit I would think you'd be fine as long as you are careful. The last thing you want is 3 quarts of oil spilled.
    Thanks for the reply. I would like to think I'd be smart enough not to do any fluid changes in there. Really I'd be looking primarily to use it for storage but still be able to do the occasional non-fluid service work.

I've thought of using a small generator, but I imagine that's a dead giveaway of what you're doing too.

There was a "neighbor" running a generator and gas air compressor to do automotive work at one in Peabody, MA. Haven't seen him in a while so not sure if he got the boot..

Ours is lighted, but the light doesn't work. A Coleman lantern is pretty bright. DeWalt and other make battery pack powered LED work lights.

Last edited by Garandman; 04-08-16 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    A Coleman lantern is pretty bright.
    they also put off a fair amount of heat making winter work more comfortable

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

My storage unit place would let you live in it if you wanted. I run my race season out of it. Power is an issue but if you get the right bay you can use the outlets otherwise you need a Genny.
    I'm out in Holland so it's too far from you but know that they are around. Look for dumpy places and work your way up. No clean place will ever allow motors in a storage unit, never mind work.

Last edited by boosten lebaron; 04-08-16 at 11:52 AM.

Lifer

I used two different ones around my area.. natick/framingham. It is also something of a don't get caught. Also to note, the other ones I didn't choose would not let motorcycles in. The two I used one had a policy of a full gas tank, one had a policy of completely drained. The one with the full gas tank caveat was also temperature regulated and was nice. The other was rather dingy... The temp regulated one had sufficient light inside since it was open cages.. the dingy one was enclosed so you'd have to bring your own light. I'm sure that if you made too much noise people would come looking.. but hand tools I'm sure you could easily get things done and not be noticed or bothered..

not to hijack but I saw a Blacklist episode where Reddington had a panigale in a storage unit (or locker as some call them).

2013 ZX6R-636

Rust Cohle solved murders out of his storage unit, i think he lived in it too..

I just rented a place in Tewksbury that said no big work, but I think that means loud. I plan on putting my lift in there and tool chests, plus two bikes. It's a good sized garage space.

Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    I used two different ones around my area.. natick/framingham. It is also something of a don't get caught. Also to note, the other ones I didn't choose would not let motorcycles in. The two I used one had a policy of a full gas tank, one had a policy of completely drained. The one with the full gas tank caveat was also temperature regulated and was nice. The other was rather dingy... The temp regulated one had sufficient light inside since it was open cages.. the dingy one was enclosed so you'd have to bring your own light. I'm sure that if you made too much noise people would come looking.. but hand tools I'm sure you could easily get things done and not be noticed or bothered..
    Thanks, I'll send you a PM. Natick isn't too bad for me really.

Quote Originally Posted by NPDCPA View Post
    I just rented a place in Tewksbury that said no big work, but I think that means loud. I plan on putting my lift in there and tool chests, plus two bikes. It's a good sized garage space.
    I'll send you one too...

CBR Airlines Flight 1000 Dragginazz's Avatar

If by any chance you can find a place to put a 20' storage container, I'd go that route and call Page St. Storage Leasing. You can rent those for $75 per Month plus Delivery/ Pick-up charges. Hell of a lot cheaper than Public storage from what I understand. That is if you can find a homey place for it. Then maybe a small generator with the money you save Monthly. They don't worry terribly about oil spills either.

SPEED SAFELY!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragginazz View Post
    If by any chance you can find a place to put a 20' storage container, I'd go that route and call Page St. Storage Leasing. You can rent those for $75 per Month plus Delivery/ Pick-up charges. Hell of a lot cheaper than Public storage from what I understand. That is if you can find a homey place for it. Then maybe a small generator with the money you save Monthly. They don't worry terribly about oil spills either.
    I lived in a 20' storage container for a while. I'd rather not go back there..

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I lived in a 20' storage container for a while. I'd rather not go back there..
    That needs some explaining. I lived in Connecticut once, and I don't like to talk about that either, but this seems more compelling.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Bringing this back up.. I moved to Waltham and have a garage (yay!). But, now I have 3 bikes and 3 cars, so the bikes need a home for the winter.

I've been looking at Craigslist and there are ads for renting garages that are attached to peoples' homes. The idea intrigues me, but I'm not sure how to handle security. Obviously I would get a lock, and the VFR has insurance. The KTM doesn't have insurance, but could as it has a title. The CRF is shit out of luck.

Has anyone done this before? Thoughts? I will not need to do mechanical work on 'em, I just want to store 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    That needs some explaining. I lived in Connecticut once, and I don't like to talk about that either, but this seems more compelling.
    In my previous life I lived & worked in West Africa for an Australian mining company. We did exploration work, so never really in any one place permanently, thus we would live in "converted" sea containers. By that I mean it had a mattress, an end table, a door and an air conditioner bolted to the side of the thing. That's it. It was not, as you may imagine, particularly comfortable.

Last edited by number9; 12-05-16 at 12:45 PM.
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I have room for two bikes in my space in Tewks. It will be crowded with them in there so no working on them and no access when I'm not there to open the doors. PM me and we can figure things out.