Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

I need mechanical skills

I need mechanical skills

I guess I didn't play with legos enough as a kid or something, because my mechanical skills are embarrassing. I have friends who have built bikes/cars from the ground up, and I am jealous of the fun they had doing it. I would like to gain some of that knowledge/skill, so I can tackle projects with a bit more confidence and not get stuck when the manual doesn't have a pretty picture showing me exactly what to do.

I'm thinking that I should just jump into a project and fake it 'til I make it. Something like the FZR 400/600 in this post: http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...FZR400-Project.

I've done a lot of minor things with my bikes, like brakes/lights/suspension, but never touched a motor. Anyone have any good project ideas? Personal experience/successful project stories coming from a background like mine? I guess I'm just looking to gain some mechanical competency now that I have the space to build something (first time I've had a garage).

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: I need mechanical skills

I like your plan. I've thought a great way to learn a lot about a car or a bike is to own a beater. You learn a lot as you go. I'm mostly self taught + some family knowledge and experience. I'm not going to say my stuff's the prettiest, or the best maintained... but I DIY everything.

I think the biggest risk with the FZR400 linked is whether the owner has all the parts, including miscellaneous nuts and bolts. You can spend a surprising amount of time and money chasing down the proper replacements.

You can score fully assembled bikes from that era for only a little more cash. Ride it till it breaks and commence the learning. Or just strip it down and rebuild it for the hell of it. Shouldn't be hard to find a bike that "needs carb work" (which isn't always the whole list). A four stroke dirt bike can probably teach you a lot too, and it's way easier to work on.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

I admire the attitude, but agree with above. Buy something whole for a starter. You'll at least be able to take pictures of how it was and you'll be the one who takes it apart, which will help a lot. Much better than trying to put together a puzzle where you aren't sure if the pieces are even there.

Yeah make sure your project whatever is mostly complete. Chasing down parts can be costly.

You need some basic tools and a clean well lit area that can be left cluttered with whatever you are working on. Shelves/cabinets are a plus.

I started about ten years ago by building up a couple bicycles for my neighbor then graduated to dirtbikes. Did a couple of those then moved on to 70's Hondas. PM me if you have any questions - there is way too much to type here.

Be careful...your tool budget is about to get real. Its addicting...

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Be careful...your tool budget is about to get real. Its addicting...
    That's a good point. If you don't have any tools, budget accordingly. Tough to say what a good estimate is. Figure Craftsman prices, $500? Snap-on prices you might want to get cleared for a loan first

Chain tools
    Carb sync
    Tire irons
    Torque Wrench (A must for head bolts)
    Breaker bar
    Ratchet set + extensions + u-joints. Ideally in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2. Make sure the 1/2in set is 6-point sockets, they're less likely to round off.

Don't get too scared off with the shitload of highly specialized tools out there. There's a tool for every job, but if you're only going to do it once, sometimes there's less efficient tricks, or tools you can borrow. A good example is a pressurized bleeder. It's great, but you can get the job done for free.

nedirtriders.com

When you are taking things apart, I find it helpful (especially if it'll be some time before it gets put back together) to put all the bolts and screws back wherever they came from as you disassemble. For example, if you are taking a water pump off a car engine, it may have 6 or 7 screws, but they might not all be the same. When you set the water pump aside, put the screws back in the corresponding holes in either the engine or in the water pump, whichever will help you remember better. Use masking tape to make labels if you have to.

This saves you the feeling of horror when you come back to your project later and realize you don't recognize the pile of screws and bolts you left yourself.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    That's a good point. If you don't have any tools, budget accordingly. Tough to say what a good estimate is. Figure Craftsman prices, $500? Snap-on prices you might want to get cleared for a loan first

Chain tools
    Carb sync
    Tire irons
    Torque Wrench (A must for head bolts)
    Breaker bar
    Ratchet set + extensions + u-joints. Ideally in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2. Make sure the 1/2in set is 6-point sockets, they're less likely to round off.

Don't get too scared off with the shitload of highly specialized tools out there. There's a tool for every job, but if you're only going to do it once, sometimes there's less efficient tricks, or tools you can borrow. A good example is a pressurized bleeder. It's great, but you can get the job done for free.
    Allen wrenches are another good basic one to have.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

One step at a time would be a good start. Before tearing down your motor, make sure you can handle basics like changing out front and rear wheels, taking off tank, removing bodywork, changing oil, spark plugs, coolant flush, bleeding brakes, and all the other basic maintenance. Once you start doing these things, you'll quickly realize the tools you'll need and the tools you'll be wanting for xmas!

Lifer

Re: Tools. You always start with the basics, but then quickly find how much easier life is with something a little more specialized. Allen wrenches are a great example. That cheap pouch full of metric L wrenches is plenty good enough for a start. But soon you'll use a quality T-handle and realize how much easier life can be. Then you'll have to torque something and want a 3/8" drive set. Then you'll have a project with something recessed and want a long 3/8" drive set. Then..

And that's just for hex bits!

But don't be afraid to go cheap on some of the lesser used stuff. For example I finally found I needed a crow's foot wrench set for a very specific project that I did once and will probably never do again. I bought a cheap autozone set because the price was right and I needed it asap. It worked and was a worthy compromise.

A lot of my lesser used tools came from harbor freight.

A friend did a yam sr500. It was a pretty basic motor and came out pretty cool.

2013 ZX6R-636

buy a 2-stroke MX bike, do the top end, ride it

blow it up, pull the motor, do the bottom end, re-do the top-end, ride it

get fed up with rebuilding stuff, buy a honda trail bike, & just ride!

Be cheap your not going to be a professional mechanic

I found a nice cheap set of everything at home cheapo

be kind to yourself these good skills take years

However if you document with pictures and use youtube you pretty much can tackle almost anything

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Look at local votech schools and see if they have courses. See if there is a maker space on Providence, they usually have a lot of fab courses as well.

I'm taking a TIG welding class. My vision isn't helping with my welds, but most of the rest of the class doesn't know how to properly use a hacksaw, file, grinder, or drill press.

Starting off on a 10,000 rpm engine doesn't sound promising unless you really follow a good shop manual about shop practices. Details like pre lubing parts or torqueing a head properly can be important on a highly tuned engine. Start with a snow thrower motor....Profit.

Last edited by Garandman; 09-27-13 at 07:16 AM.

Pretty much what Stromper said. Pictures help immensely. Take one as you take something off, so you can go back later on and figure out what goes where. For any of the big four bikes, there are usually a handful of videos even for bike specific repairs.

I was where you were not too long ago. While I don't think I'd feel comfortable diving into an engine, I wouldn't shy away from it either. Have confidence and most importantly, don't be afraid to ask questions... either here or on a bike specific forum.

As far as tools go, wait for one of those Craftsman kits from Sears to go on sale. You can get most of the tools you'll need for about $80.

Then there's the chain tool, multimeter, JIS screwdrivers, etc. You should be able to buy all of the tools for less than $400, though. Don't worry about getting them all at once... you'll buy them as you get to individual tasks that require them.

A lot of people's hesitation is unfounded, IMO. As long as you're organized about disassembly and you're not a gorilla breaking stuff left and right, then you should feel confident about being able to put things back together.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Start with a snow thrower motor....Profit.
    I have one of those if someone wants it. An ancient Ariens I ran with a little too little oil. I already removed the engine with the intention of replacing it with something more modern. Then I found a deal on a bigger, brand new machine I couldn't pass up.

Can't quite bring myself to bring this thing to the scrap guy.

if you want to know how to rebuild a motor, take apart a cheap lawnmower. Play with it and watch youtube videos(there are tons of good videos) until it makes sense then out it back together. They all work on the same idea, they just add parts. And I don't care what engine it is, I still get butterflies on first start up.

here is one video I like...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by timmyho414; 09-27-13 at 07:49 AM.
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Timmyho is correct. A simple lawnmower engine. Stack the parts while dismantling it. Reassemble in the same order. Its that simple.

Seems like the most costly and frustrating common mistake done by people when starting to tinker with mechanical things is simply stripping threads, either by cross threading when they start the bolt or nut, or by over-tightening. Lots of times the damage can be difficult and/or expensive to repair (spark plug holes, head bolts, etc.), and motorcycles tend to use lighter, softer metals, which strip easier than the steel on the old ford tractor out back.

If it's not easy starting with fingers, clean it and try again. If it doesn't work after a few tries, try a new bolt or nut, before you force the issue and destroy something.

When tightening, use a manual to find the recommended torque and use a torque wrench. All it takes is patience and I bet most of us aquired that patience after we destroyed a few things.

Last edited by Imbeek; 09-27-13 at 08:45 AM.

old school minibikes (with a snowthrower motor) are great projects to learn some skills on. smaller parts, smaller space needed, lower budgets. those get addicting too. real sense of accomplishment when you can tear around on your creation... then you want more power and speed.

just be careful, you have to build the motors up correctly and safely. when you ungovern them, spinning forces can get way higher than they were built for. you don't want a flywheel / crank / rod yardsale... under your jewel case.

Last edited by typeone; 09-27-13 at 12:47 PM.
    Beta 200RR

Wow thanks for all the responses guys. I think I will go the snowblower/mower route to start.

Aside from tools, I think I will also need a decent workbench. Any important points to look for here? Any way to get/make one portable in case I move again? I'm going to do one of the weekend welding workshops here http://www.thesteelyard.org/, I was thinking a steel bench or steel frame for a bench might make a good project for the second day of the workshop.

I will also be looking to pickup an electric heater, my garage is two bays, not insulated, not connected to the house. It will probably get rather cold. There are a lot of threads on this already, so I will start there for ideas. Not looking for any kind of permanent setup, as I am renting.

The best advice I can give is not to start with pieces. Start with something that's already running. If you don't know what you're doing and are trying to assemble a bike from parts, you're going to give up after a week and scrap the whole damn thing.

Start with the basics (maintenance) until you're comfortable. Fabrication and building is a long ways off from there.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I was actually looking at one of these for a work bench for my own garage:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52-...8#.UkWcroakrCc

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast