Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Anyone here do ice bike racing?

Re: Anyone here do ice bike racing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post

I lucked out and found mine on craigslist and saved a couple hundo..
    Yeah, I just checked CL, no luck but I'll keep my eyes peeled as winter gets nearer and people make the decision to get out / upgrade there might be some on there.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    It does bite to pay full price for a set of Ice tires. But if you only use them on frozen water they will last a long time.

It is so much fun backing it in on the ice!! Not to mention getting to see you MC buddies in the winter months..

I lucked out and found mine on craigslist and saved a couple hundo..
    The good news is, the more I think about it - this isn't so bad compared to street racing where I pay $150-250 for a day and fry a $300+ set of tires in 4-8 track days.

The bad news is, the more I start justifying things compared to the expense of tires / track days, the emptier my bank account seems to be....

LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

I have these puppies..

Canadians rule.

Brakes.. I actually found myself using some front brakes if I over cooked my entry a bit..

Once you add the weight of studs to your wheels you won't be looking to neuter your power any...

This thing rules the ice too.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I went ice riding with some friends a couple of times last year and I will say tires are by far the most important aspect of the game.

We took my 2005 CR250 and set it up by just screwing a boatload of those cheap 1/2" screws in it. We kind of followed a template we found online, but really didn't have any idea what we were doing. So, I remember the first day I took it out, I rode it around all morning and it was pretty fun. The thing turned like complete shit, but I just thought that was normal. You literally had to hold it up mid corner, but half of the time it would just throw you on your ass. I just kind of thought that's what ice riding was like. It was still fun on the straights where you could hold it wide open and it hooked up pretty good.

So then about half way through the day, my buddy let me ride his bike which had a legitimate tire set up. I don't think they were canadians, but I think they were AMA screws with the liners and the whole deal. Wow, what a difference! Not even the same sport as far as i'm concerned. On his bike, I felt like I could hold the thing wide open on the whole track with no issue at all. On my bike, I wasn't getting fatigued, but on his I was getting arm pump and short of breath after a couple of laps because I was probably riding twice the pace. I was kind of mad at myself for riding his bike, because I couldn't get back on mine after that. Just wasn't the same.

Moral of the story, don't skimp on the tires!! Use the long screws and have someone that knows what they are doing set them up for you.

LRRS #313

Quote Originally Posted by WinVT View Post
    I went ice riding with some friends a couple of times last year and I will say tires are by far the most important aspect of the game.

We took my 2005 CR250 and set it up by just screwing a boatload of those cheap 1/2" screws in it. We kind of followed a template we found online, but really didn't have any idea what we were doing. So, I remember the first day I took it out, I rode it around all morning and it was pretty fun. The thing turned like complete shit, but I just thought that was normal. You literally had to hold it up mid corner, but half of the time it would just throw you on your ass. I just kind of thought that's what ice riding was like. It was still fun on the straights where you could hold it wide open and it hooked up pretty good.

So then about half way through the day, my buddy let me ride his bike which had a legitimate tire set up. I don't think they were canadians, but I think they were AMA screws with the liners and the whole deal. Wow, what a difference! Not even the same sport as far as i'm concerned. On his bike, I felt like I could hold the thing wide open on the whole track with no issue at all. On my bike, I wasn't getting fatigued, but on his I was getting arm pump and short of breath after a couple of laps because I was probably riding twice the pace. I was kind of mad at myself for riding his bike, because I couldn't get back on mine after that. Just wasn't the same.

Moral of the story, don't skimp on the tires!! Use the long screws and have someone that knows what they are doing set them up for you.
    Everyone told me the same story.. I was so tempted to do it my way I bought the screws and tires. Although I did buy the long screws.. Then found this bitchen set.. Glad I didn't mess around.. I should sell the studs..

I wonder if real ice tires are a much softer compound, the way snow tires for the road are softer than normal tires.

Quote Originally Posted by WinVT View Post

Ok - I'm sold on the moral of the story, and I have youtube videos talking about setting up your drive screws and your carving screws and there seemed like a lot of art with the science.

But I'm curious, was your friend's bike also a 250 2-stroke? That thing's gotta be twitchy when it gets in the pipe, could that have maybe compounded the problem?

LRRS 919

No, his bike was a crf450, but a lot of the guys we were riding with were on 2 strokes and they were hauling....most of them have been ice riding forever and actually preferred the 2 strokes.

LRRS #313

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I wonder if real ice tires are a much softer compound, the way snow tires for the road are softer than normal tires.
    Harder, people used to buy tires and just store them for a few years to let them harden up with age but now Kenda makes ice specific knobbies for studding.

Bridgestone ED11 21" front knobby and Kenda 18" or 19" K335 6-ply Rear Ice tire is the hot setup for new ice-specific tires on a dirt bike or Motard bike. Only have to worry about the shorter profile AMA-Legal "Gold" Ice screws, if you plan on racing, then also need to install extended fenders for front & rear wheels. If just riding for fun, then the 1" long Kanadian Kutter screws are the hot ticket for maximum fun, but you need to install tire liners before shooting screws into tires. My son & I made up some tire liners from take-off street tires & if done correctly, there is no seam, just a constant "donut" to install inside ice tire. With properly set up ice tires, you don't need to limit your throttle stroke.

I rode my KDX200 & son rode his XR400 last winter. The 400 4-stroke seemed to pull much better out of the turns, but the KDX was also fun sliding, since it is a pretty light bike. We are probably going to try KTM & Honda 250 2-strokes this coming winter, but 4-strokes are also a bunch of fun with their torque.

If anyone wants to try ice riding this winter & wants help getting a "good" set of tires built, PM me off line and we can help with building you a set. We can make tire liners for about any size ice tire for a nominal fee.

FWIW, in Connecticut - with a plated bike (either ATV or Street plate) you can ride at ANY CT body of water that has a State of Connecticut Boat Launch. Unfortunately, there is such a small window of opportunity to ride when the ice is good, that it helps to have some equipment to clear the ice of snow and ice chips to keep a decent track.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    We maintain a more road course oriented track up at my house usually (this past winter being the exception).
    I thought you were completely done with that.

Quote Originally Posted by catahoulabuldog View Post
    Im looking at getting some tires for the WR... anyone? anyone?
    Did you find a set of tires?

I just got one set off of ebay out of a couple that a guy was selling. Here's a link to the other set (obviously first come first served for anyone reading this though):

Fredette Ice Tires Liners Kenda 19" Rear Dunlop 21" K490 Front CR YZ KX RM | eBay

LRRS 919

These dont look particularly well setup, but they come with more screws and are CHEAP:

Dirt bike Tires with Ice Screws

I've looked (a little, not a lot) - is there a solution for 17" wheels? I have a spare set of rims for my KTM but no dirt wheels and so far I haven't found anything of the 17" variety.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    I've looked (a little, not a lot) - is there a solution for 17" wheels? I have a spare set of rims for my KTM but no dirt wheels and so far I haven't found anything of the 17" variety.
    Not too many people run 17's on the ice. If they so they are typically running something that they made themselves. The likelihood of you finding a set of 17" ice tires ready to go is not very high.

I have seen people run the flat track setups with 19's f/r and I have seen typical dirtbike sizes 21f and 18/19r by far the most common are the dirtbike sizes and that would likely be your best bet. Find a set of dirtbike wheels for your KTM and take your pick of available ice tires.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    you could try a set of rain tires or even some sort of dual sport tire. the front will be harder to find that the rear in a dual sport.
    heidenau makes a cheap supermoto/rain tire Heidenau K73 Supermoto Motorcycle Tires | MotorcycleTiresManiac
    i think revzilla sells them too

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

pirelli makes a set of MT 60-R dual sport tires that would fit.
    the way i see it is, you have options, but youre gonna be the guinea pig and its most likely gonna be trial and error. i think you could make it work. id lean towards a set of rain tires with liners if it were me

Last edited by SVRACER01; 10-29-14 at 09:55 AM.
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    These dont look particularly well setup, but they come with more screws and are CHEAP:

Dirt bike Tires with Ice Screws
    Those screws look like 1/2". Those will pull out in no time.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

sup sup...IMHO, here are your 2 options:
    1.) buy a near-new knobby with tall/hard knobs, put in your own screws from the outside - should take you a couple hours - I recommend this because it's the cheapest way for you to try it out...you don't even know if you're going to race for years to come.
    2.) get any hey-ho knobby that's not toasted, get the screws that go all the way through the tire (see below), use a locknut on the inside of the tire, then make sure you put a liner (any old streetbike tire chopped up will work - and is free!), and put it together yourself. This will take a long time, but those screws will NEVER come out.

here's some info I researched in the past...

*********old thread follows**************

found some more on TT...not sure if this is a repost...def. new to me...

the following are called mf44 (MF44 Ice Screws Motocross ATV Automobile)

thick threads on these 1/2" screws:

these have a solid head (not slotted), so maybe it will last longer?

these use a use a nylon lock nut on the inside of the tire...I'd imagine a very, very strong liner is needed to keep this from puncturing the tube...

but now I know why the MF1 ones I posted earlier, also have a fine thread. They must also use a nylon lock nut on the inside of the tire despite not being pictured with one:

and I found a stud I like for the XR...they look like they'll stay in better than the maxigrip ones:

tungsten carbide, probably better suited for mixed condition riding, review here

Tire Studs | Grip Studs

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-29-14 at 04:02 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

those studs would be for winter trail riding (frozen ground/mud). dont think they will do much good on just a frozen lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post

I just got one set off of ebay out of a couple that a guy was selling. Here's a link to the other set (obviously first come first served for anyone reading this though):

Fredette Ice Tires Liners Kenda 19" Rear Dunlop 21" K490 Front CR YZ KX RM | eBay
    Good deal. It makes me regret the 18" I bought.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Good deal. It makes me regret the 18" I bought.
    It made me regret the left only set I traded hundreds of dollars of parts for. So I bought those lol.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post

thanks... I would have if I saw this before Smutty did and pilfered them... If I cant find anything before the season Im going to his house and taking his bike.... mofugger!!

still searching.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I thought you were completely done with that.
    Nope. I took a year off, so to speak. The year before last was a complete pain in the ass and last year I bought a sled. My midgets have already started hounding me about a track this year and the lake draw down has been minimal this year. I'll be sure to post up when we need a hand cutting our track out...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Hmmm...I wonder what's in the gigantic tire-sized box that just showed up at my office....

Now I just have to wait for the ice to show up to try them out. To bad none of the ice-skating parks set up an indoor course.

Anyone here do ice bike racing?-img_1785-jpg

LRRS 919

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast