Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Land or cabin/camp in Maine or NH

rides bikes

Land or cabin/camp in Maine or NH

Ideally within 3.5 hours from Boston, near snowmobiling/dirt biking, near or on some body of water for fishing, canoeing, etc.

I'd like 5+ acres, but would be happy with less if it were adjacent to state or non-buildable land. Not really looking to have neighbors right on top of me.

If it's got a house on it, I'd like it to be pretty low-frills, but have electricity and plumbing, but if the price is right that would be flexible. Basically looking for a super cheap hunting cabin I can have fun at on weekends. Alternatively, land that I can camp on or park a trailer and eventually build something more permanent.

There's lots on CL, but figured I'd ask here.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Land or cabin/camp in Maine or NH

I have what you're looking for, just not sure I want to sell. Also probably closer to 4 hours from Boston. What's your budget like? I have 5 acres, atv trail access from the driveway, one of the property lines is a snow trail, small camp just to get out of the weather, outhouse, no power or water, on a paved road, 10 minutes from town/food/fuel. I put the driveway in, built the small camp, and even had a septic designed but never installed. That has expired, not sure if it can be updated or not.

Yamaha

rides bikes

I'll shoot you a PM so we don't bore everyone on here.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Wouldn't be boring from my perspective. This is something I have always wanted to do as well.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

In Zillow you can create a custom search area and parameters and it will show you all the places that fit. We created a zone within 20 minutes drive to Mt Sunapee, 3 bedrooms, more than 5 acres. That turned up over 40 places. Then I went and eyeballed them. We hired a buyer's agent (lives in Enfiedl) and she saved us at least $10,000.

More than 10 unimproved acres and you can put the land into Current Use and get a tax break.

3.5 hours from Boston is about St Johnsbury - Berlin, unless you are farther away from the highway. The farther from a highway the cheaper places get.

We picked a place that had access to a trail network for hiking, snowmobiling, etc.

Be sure and check the tax rate!

Last edited by Garandman; 02-26-15 at 03:20 PM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Wouldn't be boring from my perspective. This is something I have always wanted to do as well.

MLS #4384761

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    In Zillow you can create a custom search area and parameters and it will show you all the places that fit. We created a zone within 20 minutes drive to Mt Sunapee, 3 bedrooms, more than 5 acres. That turned up over 40 places. Then I went and eyeballed them. We hired a buyer's agent (lives in Enfiedl) and she saved us at least $10,000.

More than 10 unimproved acres and you can put the land into Current Use and get a tax break.

3.5 hours from Boston is about St Johnsbury - Berlin, unless you are farther away from the highway. The farther from a highway the cheaper places get.

We picked a place that had access to a trail network for hiking, snowmobiling, etc.

Be sure and check the tax rate!
    Very cool, thanks for the info!

The thing I just realized is that banks won't loan for a house that they consider "uninhabitable", which basically means it needs to have a full kitchen, full bath, running water, power, etc. which has really narrowed my search to either land or a house with amenities.

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    MLS #4384761
    That's pretty cool. Is that your place?

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    That's pretty cool. Is that your place?
    Nope, other end of town. But it's in an area we thought about buying in after we moved up there. Lots of GOOD hunting in that area and local private trails to get you to the trail system...

rides bikes

Nope, other end of town. But it's in an area we thought about buying in after we moved up there. Lots of GOOD hunting in that area and local private trails to get you to the trail system...
    Interesting...Looks cool, but you definitely need to use some imagination, haha.

Interesting...Looks cool, but you definitely need to use some imagination, haha.
    Isn't that what you wanted?

rides bikes

Isn't that what you wanted?
    She's a diamond in the rough

Your average bank/credit union in the Boston area will likely not finance land and camps. Once you find an area you like in Maine/NH, find a local bank or credit union and see what they have to offer. Buying and selling raw land in Maine is as common as buying and selling a house in Ma.
    As for the rate, it's going to be higher, and you'll likely need a larger down payment for land or a camp, there's less security in it for the bank

The thing I just realized is that banks won't loan for a house that they consider "uninhabitable", which basically means it needs to have a full kitchen, full bath, running water, power, etc. which has really narrowed my search to either land or a house with amenities.

Yamaha

Those are usually listed as "camps." We looked at two different properties of 70 and 99 acres, both with either a cabin (no insulation, no running water, no facilities), or a house that had not been occupied for many years and been vandalized.

We realized that to the extent possible we wanted someplace inhabitable: if you have kids you want to be spending time with them, not working on the Ponderosa. Really just depends on your budget. And the place we bought is 1:45 to 2:15 from home - that makes a HUGE difference in how often you use it and how easy it is to get things fixed. We closed September 15 and by the end of the year had all the major projects done. Nothing keeps a contractor moving like showing up unannounced....

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Those are usually listed as "camps." We looked at two different properties of 70 and 99 acres, both with either a cabin (no insulation, no running water, no facilities), or a house that had not been occupied for many years and been vandalized.

We realized that to the extent possible we wanted someplace inhabitable: if you have kids you want to be spending time with them, not working on the Ponderosa. Really just depends on your budget. And the place we bought is 1:45 to 2:15 from home - that makes a HUGE difference in how often you use it and how easy it is to get things fixed. We closed September 15 and by the end of the year had all the major projects done. Nothing keeps a contractor moving like showing up unannounced....
    Yeah I hear you. The lady I spoke with at the bank sounded pretty knowledgable, but I figured there had to be some kind of grey area between a house and, say a barn. Like if the land you wanted had a house without utilities, who's to say it's a house at all? Could just be a fancy shed.

rides bikes

Found a pretty awesome place that I'm going to go take a peak at tomorrow. It's a little farther from Boston than I'd prefer, and it's on less land than I'd like, but it's totally turn key, with utilities, updated, and about 50 feet from the Penobscot River with a dock. Less than I was hoping for in some areas, more than I was hoping for it others. We'll see!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Your average bank/credit union in the Boston area will likely not finance land and camps. Once you find an area you like in Maine/NH, find a local bank or credit union and see what they have to offer. Buying and selling raw land in Maine is as common as buying and selling a house in Ma.
    As for the rate, it's going to be higher, and you'll likely need a larger down payment for land or a camp, there's less security in it for the bank
    I've heard the exact same thing about cottages on the cape.

Found a pretty awesome place that I'm going to go take a peak at tomorrow. It's a little farther from Boston than I'd prefer, and it's on less land than I'd like, but it's totally turn key, with utilities, updated, and about 50 feet from the Penobscot River with a dock. Less than I was hoping for in some areas, more than I was hoping for it others. We'll see!
    You know that since the 2009 crash there are many hundreds of properties on the market that fit your stated needs? The place we bought had been on the market since 2013, had the price reduced twice, and our bid was about 15% below that. Also the only bid received that entire time. Zillow has price histories. BTW we found most FSBO places greatly overpriced.

Look at places now to qualify or disqualify, but don't buy anything until you can see what's under all that snow. And know that the ads have the best pictures ever taken of the place.

We hired a buyer's agent. Doesn't cost you more and she saved us a bunch. If you are interested in the Sunapee region north I can refer you. But as mentioned we used Zillow to pick 4-5 places of interest, then did drive bys to qualify/disqualify, then made appointments for the short list.

For example, if it's a vacation place you need a plan to clear the driveway. You can get a place near the road and do it yourself. Our place had an 800' driveway in an area that gets 10' of snow. But I spoke to a neighbor who is a contractor and he was happy to do ours (which he repaired for us) at reasonable cost, and has the equipment to do it easily. And when we come up the driveway is smooth as a pool table.

Last edited by Garandman; 02-28-15 at 08:30 AM.

I know this is a overly general question that will have a different answer depending on which specific property is purchased and what ends up happening with the economy over whatever term the property is owned for, BUT, nonetheless, I'm wondering what mindset people here have when starting this search for vacation or leisure use property in NH. I ask this not to bust balls, but because I'm considering looking myself. So,

After factoring in taxes, realtor fees, mortgage interest if financed, capital gains tax upon eventual sale, and costs of ownership like heating (enough to keep pipes from freezing, if you have pipes), snow removal, etc...are these properties expected to be:

1) nice luxuries to be able to afford, but a certain net loss over time, investment wise
    2) a cash drain but cheaper than renting/flying the family all over the place and worth it because of the enjoyment
    3) likely good investments because of anticipated appreciation in property value that will more than cover all the above, and the enjoyment and use of the property is an added benefit.
    ?

I can't see these being a good investment. Remember the three L's THe only places I have seen be consistent winners are beachfront in warm climates.

You could get lucky and score a great deal and just happen to have a buyer when the time is right, but profit will still be negligible.

This is just my opinion from my family's combined experiences over the years. I haven't purchased a camp upp north, but I have been researching beach properties in the tropics. LOL

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I can't see these being a good investment. Remember the three L's THe only places I have seen be consistent winners are beachfront in warm climates. I haven't purchased a camp upp north, but I have been researching beach properties in the tropics. LOL
    I owned one property (raw land, small building lot in great location, almost zero carrying costs) in Costa Rica from 2003 to 2006. Bought it intending to keep it forever, sold it when offered 3x what I paid. Now costs have come back down quite a bit, and I'm looking again. Still have the same trusted realtor and lawyer in playa Hermosa area that I dealt with last time. Would consider a partner if you are serious, and scouting trips aren't exactly torture...
    The ONLY negative, as far as a retirement destination, is that the wave is on the heavier side. Come to think of it, it's in my profile photo.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

That wave in you profile is sick. For now, C.R. is not on my list, but I may go down that way again a year from now, so who knows, maybe it will change my mind. Not to thread jack the Maine cabin discussion...

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    I
    1) nice luxuries to be able to afford, but a certain net loss over time, investment wise
    2) a cash drain but cheaper than renting/flying the family all over the place and worth it because of the enjoyment
    3) likely good investments because of anticipated appreciation in property value that will more than cover all the above, and the enjoyment and use of the property is an added benefit.
    ?
    Staying home is cheapest. My family took one family vacation: a camping trip to VT.

Most of the places for sale around here are for sale at a loss. But if you go someplace as a family during the MA vacation weeks, you get raped.

There isn't much in New England's future that points to higher RE prices.

rrrright down by da beach island boyeee's Avatar

My dad will be looking to sell his place, but it's about 4.5 hours away, in the Beddington, ME area. but it's about 27 acres, has the highest bluff in the area that overlooks the lake and many miles beyond. 2 cabins connected by a deck within about 100 feet of the water, 1 older that has been refurbished, and one my dad built a few years ago. There is a large garage with a loft, which is mainly a work shop and motorcycle/boat storage shed as of now. These run purely on solar/battery power, which my dad is an expert at doing (same as his house in the islands). There is a generator wired in though just in case. It even has a wood-fired hot tub right on the waterfront!

Plenty of ATV'ers and dirt bikers in the area, and several lakes. The one the property borders is about 1/2 x 1/4 mile. I think frontage is around 120'+.

That's enough details for now until you decide if that area is even within your scope. I can provide tons of pictures and further details and such if need be.

08 Triumph Daytona 675, Jet Black w/ Gold
    dirty bike: 2015 KTM 250 XC-F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast