Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Anybody riding without a ACL? (trick knee)

Anybody riding without a ACL? (trick knee)

I just blew up my knee and can't do most of the things that make me happy.

Am I going to be able to ride? Anybody out there riding without an ACL?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Anybody riding without a ACL? (trick knee)

I haven't had one since '87. No issues riding street/track. I also have a partial PCL Tear too.

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

depends. if you have strong leg muscles then you might be ok for a while, but it depends on what youre trying to do too.
    the ACL, as im sure you know, essentially keeps you lower leg from going forward too far or hyper-extending too much. so, in general, street riding shouldnt matter, but if you have to put that foot down quickly to hold yourself up or something of that nature then i can that turning ugly quick.
    if youre talking dirt bikes, then i cant say id recommend that since planting your foot is a pretty regular thing.
    my dad, unbeknownst to him, has had no ACL since the 70s when he was in the service. back then there were no MRIs so they rubbed some dirt on it and sent him on his way with an ice pack. my dad played softball, basketball, volleyball, rode motorcycles and even skied with little to no issues. it wasnt until he started having other knee issues later in life did he find out about the ACL. he knew exactly when it happened.

i had ACL surgery last Feb and was street riding by april (or whenever the season began) and dirt biking by summer and skied all winter. rehab sucks, but motivation to ride/ski keeps you going. i was out of work for 3 weeks but i have short term disability, so that helped.
    its not as bad as you think its gonna be. i was hobbling about in a few days and fully walking in about a week or so.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Thanks, That is helpful. I have scheduled the surgery for May 7th; they want me to delay until the swelling goes down. With luck they say I can walk, drive, and sail big boats this summer, kiteboard by fall, and ski and snowboard again next winter.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

go for the femoral nerve block. youll thank me later.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports