Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

WTB: Pit Bike

WTB: Pit Bike

Thinking I'd like to get a pit bike after years of walking around the infield.

- Prefer a minimoto over a scooter
    - Prefer big 4 brands over chinese noname stuff (unless Kurlon tells me otherwise)
    - Prefer the supermoto version rather than knobby setup

Something like in the attached photo, I guess?

Whatcha got?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTB: Pit Bike-11612-jpg  

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Re: WTB: Pit Bike

For pit duty, aircooled trumps liquid. Much lower state of tune == far less maint, no having to warm it up before abusing, etc. TT-R 125LE, CRF150F, CRF125F Big wheel, KLX 140, XR100, all good pit mounts. I'm lazy and partial to the ones with electric start personally. Reasonably sticky rubber can be had to match up to the dirt rims so I wouldn't be fully locked on a predone 'sumo' especially if price conscious.

On chinese pitties, some SSR, most Pitster Pros, Piranahas, etc are OK. If you want me to yea / nay any that get posted up let me know.

Or, have me nuke my post if I've already crudded up a wanted post too much as it is.

Busa..

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    CCS #68
    2016 Husky FS450
    Huge thanks for all the support from MotoSport

Def appreciate your input Kurlon.

I'm not really "set" in those preferences and can certainly be educated in a different direction.

I've also been thinking more about a proper scooter (for the right price) as you can zip around with wheels/tires on the footbed more easily, electric start, etc...

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

One other thing to keep in mind for pit vehicles is that they need a plate/reg if you want to be able to ride them outside of the infield. Anything without a plate/reg has to be left at the tunnel and you walk from there.

So no runs to the shell station or the entrance gates if you need to meet someone on their way in without plate/reg.

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    One other thing to keep in mind for pit vehicles is that they need a plate/reg if you want to be able to ride them outside of the infield. Anything without a plate/reg has to be left at the tunnel and you walk from there.

So no runs to the shell station or the entrance gates if you need to meet someone on their way in without plate/reg.
    So worst case, just zip tie one of my old bike plates to it and call it a day, you're saying...? haha.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

She allowed my dirt bike reg sticker. It's even expired so they don't look that hard, I guess. Fwiw

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Last edited by tsorfas; 04-04-15 at 08:59 PM.

Some of those look decent but most look beat up and maybe needing work chasing electric gremlins and stuff. I have a line on a good deal for a scoot that I'm going to pull the trigger on. Easy peasey from my new garage mates.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

it all depends on what's specifically on your wants list

so pretty much any scooter or chinese pitbike will do it on a dime, but imho they suck

I don't even like any horizontal single w' an auto clutch

do an XR100 w' an XR80 front rim (drops right in, 16"), get a set of BT45's front and rear and be done

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Yeah they "suck", but at what? The more I think about it, this thing is for putt putting around the pits, not mini racing ... it's nice to have a big footbed (move wheels and tires around), comfortable, easy two-up for riding out to the bowl and such.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

then a chinese scooter is your best option if you really want cargo and 2-up

suck = when they make 6hp (or whatever) the thing that bothered me was the auto transmission. I had a drz110 w' a manual clutch added on, and for better lack of terminology it was just sloppy. I rode the chinese pitbikes w' manual clutch and they felt about the same.

it's all relative, but when I enjoy riding a pitbike, my threshold is the XR80...but if you're that far you might as well get an XR100 because it's the same frame, and easier to get a set of 16" rims for tires if you want it for stickier street fun duty

but for your needs, pretty much the opposite of what your first post says

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-05-15 at 11:28 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    but for your needs, pretty much the opposite of what your first post says
    Yeah, I changed my mind the more I thought about it.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

I've got an old DR 100 Runs good. Nothing fancy but it would get the job done.... $600

Full dresser Harley