Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Never been a better time to be a 'entry level' rider!

Re: Never been a better time to be a 'entry level' rider!

Which model do we currently have available in the US , the Duke or the RC? I'm confused. Is the motor tuned the same for both?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

my first street bike was a Honda Super 90, my second was a Honda CB125S, the 90 was faster than the 125. I thought a 250 would be the biggest bike I would ever want

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

According to Cycle World both the Duke390 and the RC390 will be available in the US in 2015

KTM Announces Three New Models for 2015: RC 390, 390 Duke and the 1290 Super Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    And yet, at least in my area the CBR250R never actually sat on the showroom floor, they came in and immediately sold. The baby Ninja has been a top seller for Kawi for years.
    Yeah, but how many do they build versus vanilla sport bikes?

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Yeah, but how many do they build versus vanilla sport bikes?
    Lots and lots and lots and lots more baby vs 600/1000s.

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Which model do we currently have available in the US , the Duke or the RC? I'm confused. Is the motor tuned the same for both?
    both

from razee's last week.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by motoarch; 04-06-15 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I still have my first CB400. I love that thing.

As much as I want to love these smaller bikes, I agree that few US buyers will actually buy them. Too many 600+ cc choices.

These seem like an answer to the tiered licensing rules enforced overseas. Not shocking that several of these models were delayed here in the US.
    I'd kind of like to see tiered licensing here too... Although I would have hated it here when I was getting my license. My first two bikes were air cooled 750s, which I think are fairly reasonable first bikes... But I would like to force the noobs to ride something smaller when I see them out there squiding it up. I feel like an old man. GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Last edited by Spooler; 04-06-15 at 06:57 PM.
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

I would have been okay with a tiered system too but maybe not quite as aggressive as Europe; and maybe one that accounts for the fact that a 650cc twin is not necessarily comparable to a 600cc I4.

Quote Originally Posted by motoarch View Post
    I would have been okay with a tiered system too but maybe not quite as aggressive as Europe; and maybe one that accounts for the fact that a 650cc twin is not necessarily comparable to a 600cc I4.
    AFAIK the Euro system does, it's based on BHP.

Quote Originally Posted by motoarch View Post
    Yup

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    Sat on a 390 Duke the other day and it felt *tiny*! It's nice looking and I would be very interested in riding it, though I'd probably need upgraded suspension from what I've heard. Taking my wife to sit on one this week....
    Good tiny? How big are you? I'm 6'2" so I wouldn't buy one blind but I only weight 180 so I'd think I'd be OK there..

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Maybe. If you know you are a competent machine operator/driver/etc and you want a 600 "sport bike" why should you buy a 300 or similar? Just so someone wont label you a "squid douche"? The douche factor may be higher with the 600 market, but there is a reason they are so popular: they perform their intended purposes extremely well and look good doing it.

I got my first streetbike in high school, a Honda CM450. I was grins for all of 5 minutes. The know-it-all crusty fuckers told me that those 750's I really wanted were death machines, especially those 'ninja type' bikes. I couldn't get rid of that 450 fast enough.
    Mine was a Cm400T. Still wish I had that. Guess I didn't do the whole rebellion>logic thing.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Kawi dealers moved 250s by the truck load.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Mine was a Cm400T. Still wish I had that. Guess I didn't do the whole rebellion>logic thing.
    You're so rebellious for not rebelling.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Are there statistics on how these 250's sell/sold compared to 600 and 1k sport-bikes? Apparently every dealer everywhere is selling them non-stop, yet I rarely see them on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Kawi dealers moved 250s by the truck load.
    Was that the case pre-2008? I always wondered about the late 80s - 2007 250R at dealerships, since the used market was so strong. Those bikes are/were bulletproof and could have plenty of owners before getting tired. I had a 2001 model which I bought in 2005 for $1800 and sold it 2.5 years / 10k miles later for $1600. Such a great little bike and still have fond memories of wringing it out in multiple gears without hitting direct-to-jail speeds.

Of course, the 2008 redesign must have netted a lot of newbies who shunned the previous model's dated looks, so I'd expect those to fly out of showrooms. The newest iteration of the 250/300s are downright sexy. I'll probably buy one once they depreciate a bit more.

2004 SV650S

Quote Originally Posted by Crimedog View Post
    Good tiny? How big are you? I'm 6'2" so I wouldn't buy one blind but I only weight 180 so I'd think I'd be OK there..
    It felt like it would be a blast to ride. I'm also 6'2" and felt like it would fit fine for short rides around town. I'm around 250, so I think I'd need aftermarket suspension... But yeah, it felt like you could throw it around really easy.

Are there statistics on how these 250's sell/sold compared to 600 and 1k sport-bikes? Apparently every dealer everywhere is selling them non-stop, yet I rarely see them on the road.
    I don't have them off hand. Superbikes tend to sell the least amount of units in the line-up by far.

Lifer

I read what I think is a pretty good review of the duke 390 on motorcycle news. Bike sounds awesome, especially for the $4999 asking price.

What I find most interesting is they compare it to the DRZ-400SM, which I happen to own-more or less. That comparison hadn't occurred to me. But it really hit home when they point out the DRZ retails for $7189. That makes the KTM almost $2200 less than a carb'ed suzuki who's design dates back to when jasnmar's race bike was state of the art! Buzzing CL, it seems you would have to try pretty hard to pick up even a used DRZ-SM for less than the KTM's retail price.

That's stunning!

I need to demo some KTMs. Much of their lineup appeals to me. Without having ridden it, I think the Duke 390 would make a sweet backup street bike / commuter / run-about.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    I don't have them off hand. Superbikes tend to sell the least amount of units in the line-up by far.
    What do you classify as 'superbikes'? GSXR 1k's?
    In my mind a 'superbike' is an exotic like a duc panigale or RC1190 or BWM s1000rr or something. Sure, I see those being low-volume, high margin.
    But I always thought the japanese makes moved a ton of 600 and 1000cc sport bikes here in the US. I thought those were their volume leaders.

What do you classify as 'superbikes'? GSXR 1k's?
    In my mind a 'superbike' is an exotic like a duc panigale or RC1190 or BWM s1000rr or something. Sure, I see those being low-volume, high margin.
    But I always thought the japanese makes moved a ton of 600 and 1000cc sport bikes here in the US. I thought those were their volume leaders.
    When OEMs are talking about Superbikes they tend to be referring to liter/open class bikes. Country of origin isn't a factor. "600's" aka Middleweights (600s, 675s, 848, 899) sell more than open class bikes. As for sales, when I worked at Ducati North America we hit a record number of units sold, 10,000 for the year of 2007. That also happened to be the year the 1098 was launched, to much fanfare and public applause. The leading bike sold that year was "Baby Monsters", the smallest size Monster we had in the lineup. 1098's made up less than 10% of sales as I recall.

FYI Motorcyclist posted the video from this day: 2015 Lightweight Sportbike Shootout | ON TWO WHEELS | Motorcyclist

Track - I'm on the Kawi in black leathers. JRO is on the Honda with white leathers / rainbow helmet.
    Street - I'm wearing the red Dainese jacket mainly on the Honda.

Actually everyone in this video is a New Englander. Ari and Zack are from the Cape and cut their teeth racing at Loudon. Jess (female street rider) is from CT and is moving back East next week () and JRO and I are obviously NESRians. Small world.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by a13x; 04-21-15 at 01:49 AM.

Your weather and roads is a jerk.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123