Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gen 1 SV quickturn throttle

Gen 1 SV quickturn throttle

What's the best setup for a quickturn throttle on an SV? I have a bad wrist and the throttle throw on this thing is wicked long, not to mention the bike doesn't have a ton of power so I'd like to be able to get to WOT quicker.

I found this writeup on using an r6 throttle, so I ordered the part since it's so cheap. It says for a gen 2 you need to cut some plastic but for a gen 1 it's just a plug and play solution. It doesn't say what the throw is but I'm assuming it's better than stock (and I'm assuming mine is still stock):

R6 Throttle Tube on the SV650 | Canyon Chasers Motorcycle Sport Touring

I was going to buy the motion pro kit with the cams (had been planning for this on my r6 too), but apparently motionpro doesn't make it for the gen 1, only the gen 2.

Then I found TWF Racing, some guy Zoran, makes stuff and he sells what I assume is a modified motion pro kit with an extra kill switch (maybe that's why motion pro doesn't sell it, the stock setup is integrated). A little spendy but if it would work better I don't mind.

TWF Racing Parts

Would that one be able to get an even shorter throw than using the r6 tube?

or any other solutions...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Re: Gen 1 SV quickturn throttle

I think there are two different R6 tubes that will work from two different year ranges. One is ~1/5 turn, one is ~1/6 turn, as compared to 1/4 for the stock SV. I went with the 1/5 turn, and I still regrip slightly in a few spots.

Hmm ok... well which one is the shortest throw, and is it a direct replacement or does it require work?

I ordered the one that was in that post I linked to... unsure if that's 1/5 or 1/6.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

I'm not sure about direct replacement on a Gen I. I can't see the link from work, but the Canyon Chaser post (which I'm assuming is what that is) is ancient, like 10 years old at this point. There are more recent threads discussing the same topic in more detail on svrider. I would google using site:svrider.com and try to find the long SVrider threads that discuss it. I believe the Gen Is and Gen II N models are basically plug-and-play, Gen II S models are the ones that require a bit of trimming for it to fit in the housing properly. If I remember correctly, the early-mid 2000s gen R6 and later R6S had the longer throw with a black tube, and the later 2000s gen R6 had the shorter throw with a white tube.

Edit for clarification: I believe the later 2000's "R6S" was a reissue of the earlier 2000s R6. Sort of like the Kawi ZX6R and ZZR600.

Last edited by Petorius; 04-27-15 at 03:41 PM.

Yes it's the canyon chaser post. It was one of the first things to come up when I searched.

Ok, well crap... I'll call ron ayers and try to cancel the order, then try to figure out the right part number.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    Yes it's the canyon chaser post. It was one of the first things to come up when I searched.

Ok, well crap... I'll call ron ayers and try to cancel the order, then try to figure out the right part number.
    Ya, pretty sure the Canyon Chaser post referenced the longer-throw option. It's still shorter than stock though.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

You could always have Motion Pro make one, but it would cost you.

I did it before I bought the flatslides. It cost me about $170.

Last edited by The Snowman; 04-27-15 at 03:49 PM.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I'm not opposed to going the motion pro route if I have to... I'm surprised they don't offer a kit ready-made, it's a popular bike.

But if there is a better r6 throttle that I can use for like 15 bucks that's probably the best option.

I'm wondering if the fastest cam on the motion pro is a shorter turn than the newer r6 tube...

I cancelled the ron ayers order and will try to figure out the best solution I guess.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Lifer

I wonder if we can get Steph to post her findings. She pm'ed me today that she'd done some homework on this subject. Although she's on a gen-2.

I just bought the P/N referenced in the Canyon Chaser bit. I'm looking for a slight improvement in throw, but not substantial. My dexterity isn't top shelf and I need as much help keeping the throttle smooth and steady as I can get.

I had a very quick turn setup on my SV when I bought it but destroyed it in a high-side. Unfortunately I never figured out who made it. It was not integrated with the kill switch; I have a standalone motion-pro kill/starter assembly. I replaced it with an '03 S model throttle assembly. It required I fabricate a standoff bracket at the carb interface. My setup is crude, but functional. I can give you details if you decide you want to experiment with something intended for a gen 2.

The way to go for this would be the motion pro unit IMO. Reason being is when you do get the flat slides you only need to switch the cables out. pretty sure of this since there is already a kit, not on there site, for the flat slides. The price of 170 is correct for the revolver throttle kit. All they do is get you to measure the current cables on the bike, send them the dimensions and they make it. Comes with all the different cams, cables, housing, and there ridiculous grips that I usually give away.

Oh and you will need to wire a new kill switch as well, I used a RC51 switch on my gen 1 track bike. basically needed it to be thin enough since the throttle bar has a lot going on it. I will see if I can find the email traffic I had with the cable guy at MP if you want his email.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

The G1 is more complicated. As I PMed Chris, the throttle is also combined with the kill switch, so buying an aftermarket setup gets complicated. When I was still running the stock CV carbs in my former G1 SV, I ordered a custom set of cables direct from Motion Pro. However, it took a couple of weeks, as I had to send my whole throttle assembly and cables to them. They needed to measure throw and cable lengths, because I had ordered a specific throttle tube setup (Throttle, Straight Push/Pull | Motion Pro). The result was about 1/4 turn, maybe less. The throw was tiny, which was awesome. Cost was somewhere around $170, if memory serves.

That meant that I also needed to purchase a separate kill switch, like the G2 SVs have. I snagged this one Motion Pro Right Handlebar Start-Stop Switch | MotoSport and hard-wired it into my system.

Eventually, I went to flatslides and ordered the Motion Pro setup that Zoran at TWF Racing sells for the flatslides, that was pull cables only (one cable for each carb).

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Seems like $15. and no other mod's required is an easy improvement for now Chris, and possibly a change in how you grip it for less wrist flex. The R6 tube has a noticeably shorter throw.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by brady; 04-28-15 at 07:01 AM.
    '02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

Chris I think I have a R6 throttle tube.....Ill look later today

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i run that 1/5 turn R6 tube. its a huge difference over stock. i think pete said he just modified his stock one with a zip tie

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I'm actually not even sure what carbs are on this bike.

I'm leaning towards trying the r6 thing for now.

I guess my remaining question, since I did some googling and didn't find the answer, is WHICH r6 throttle... the old post above that suggests the old part number (03-05 r6), or does a throttle from a newer (06+) r6 work (since those have an even shorter throw I think)? And if the new one works, is it a drop-in on the gen 1 or does it need modification?

I guess if no one knows I can just go with the older r6 tube, since it sounds like that will be some amount of improvement.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Lifer

I bought part number 5SL-26240-01-00.
    I have the stock CV carbs.

Yes, that is the part number for the 03-05 R6 and 06+ R6"S".

I'm asking if anyone has used the 06+ R6 ("real" r6) throttle and if that works, ease of install, modification needed, etc? ... it's a shorter turn.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Lifer

Just reporting what I'm doing/using. I'll update once its installed and I can comment on how it works.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by smiskell View Post
    Amazon prime is awesome.
    Further evidence I'm doing it wrong. I paid more and will wait 7-10 days to get my parts.

Heyo... I was having the same thought yesterday after this past weekend. I ordered this yesterday:

Amazon.com: Yamaha 5SL262400100 Grip Assembly: Automotive

I thought about going with the 06+ R6 throttle but decided to error on the side of caution and went with the tested modification. I will be at Thompson this weekend so Im going to try to install it this week.

Amazon prime is awesome.
    Nice! You'll have to let me know how it goes.

I did find the 06+ one as well on prime here: Amazon.com: Yamaha 2C0262400000 Grip Assembly: Automotive

So I just ordered them both and will try both... cheap option.

I'm curious if the 06 will require any trimming or modification, if it doesn't, I know I'll prefer that one (I had a 06 R6 race bike and even still I could have had it be a little quicker)

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Amazon prime is awesome.
    It's amazing the stuff that they're carrying now. Admittedly I mostly buy stuff for my project car, but I can seemingly put any part number I'd ordinarily get form Summit Racing or Jeg's and Amazon will carry it & ship it via Prime.

Yes, that is the part number for the 03-05 R6 and 06+ R6"S".

I'm asking if anyone has used the 06+ R6 ("real" r6) throttle and if that works, ease of install, modification needed, etc? ... it's a shorter turn.
    Nice! You'll have to let me know how it goes.

I did find the 06+ one as well on prime here: Amazon.com: Yamaha 2C0262400000 Grip Assembly: Automotive

So I just ordered them both and will try both... cheap option.

I'm curious if the 06 will require any trimming or modification, if it doesn't, I know I'll prefer that one (I had a 06 R6 race bike and even still I could have had it be a little quicker)
    The 03-05 R6 tube is a proven mod, minimal modification needed to the new tube to make it work in a 2nd gen housing. A newer R6 tube would be slick, but the thing is huge, so I assume it would take serious trimming of the housing to make it fit. I'll be curious to see what you find.

I'm ordering one of these for the 650R. it seems to be a decent halfway point between a $20 OEM throttle tube from a different model and a $200 Yoyodyne quickturn setup.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

It's likely that it's Summit, Jeg's, etc selling through Amazon as they know that's where people buy from now.

On the R6 tube swaps, spend a moment making certain the tube presents a large enough surface to engage the stop in the throttle housing. I did the R6 swap in a GS500 throttle housing which worked absolutely great until a crash forced the throttle backwards past the stop. That's when I discovered that it was just barely making contact in the first place compared to the original tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    The 03-05 R6 tube is a proven mod, minimal modification needed to the new tube to make it work in a 2nd gen housing. A newer R6 tube would be slick, but the thing is huge, so I assume it would take serious trimming of the housing to make it fit. I'll be curious to see what you find.

I'm ordering one of these for the 650R. it seems to be a decent halfway point between a $20 OEM throttle tube from a different model and a $200 Yoyodyne quickturn setup.
    Agreed. I'm told the 1st gen housing (I have a first gen) doesn't need any modification to fit the earlier r6 throttle. So I'm hoping it will need little or no modification to fit the newer r6 throttle.

That link you posted, well, I wish I knew about that before I ordered those two throttles on amazon. LOL. Have you heard of other people using it with good results? Do you know what the ratio is? It says it fits in the stock housing, so I wouldn't mind 80 bucks for that solution (versus 200+ for the motion pro setup) if it's a turn-key option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    On the R6 tube swaps, spend a moment making certain the tube presents a large enough surface to engage the stop in the throttle housing. I did the R6 swap in a GS500 throttle housing which worked absolutely great until a crash forced the throttle backwards past the stop. That's when I discovered that it was just barely making contact in the first place compared to the original tube.
    While the newer r6 throttle has a larger cam, I'm told that this makes the issue you describe LESS likely, so maybe that's a benefit.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

I'm calling G2 this afternoon to get some detail on it. I'll post up what I learn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast