Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

New Palmer track video

Re: New Palmer track video

New riders, sure. Extra thing to manage time wise.

If you are on street tires, no warmers needed.

I do hope tracks realize that power isn't just for warmers though. It really is nice to have a fan and other small powered conveniences available to participants. Hearing generators constantly generally sucks, but I won't fault someone for using one is there isn't any power available.

I guess we're just spoiled by NHMS.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

The more I ride the more I value warmers.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I think palmer plans electric... Just not done yet. I don't think Thompson plans for outside electric.

I will mention it to palmer again in case it is not planned yet.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    not a bad idea. i may just do that.
    Cool, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    Understood... and if you can ride a whole session full speed then they make sense.

I bet most riders cannot go full pace for an entire session.

If you are going to do a couple of easy laps each session anyway... why not make them your first two?

Again... if you have warmers, then great... use them. I am just trying to get new riders away from the, "I can't do trackdays until I get warmers" philosophy.
    Agree and you definitely don't need warmers to do track days, especially if you're new and/or on street rubber. This is just the way I do things. Others can do as they like. It's something people argue about a lot on forums... I just do what I like.

For me I'd rather ride 15 minutes at pace with hot tires and come in early, then go out and spend 5 minutes getting the tires hot and then ride 15 minutes at pace. You guys mentioned warm up lap in a race... even then I want my tires hot and I ride the warm up lap fairly hard to ensure I'm in the zone and the tires get/stay hot... I wouldn't feel comfortable even riding my warm up lap pace on tires that weren't hot off the warmers.

Goal of trackdays for me is to work on things in a non-race environment. These are things like trailbraking, cornerspeed, right hand turn body position, etc. I don't feel I can adequately work on these things in the way that I want unless my equipment is ready to go. Everyone is different. Anyways, didn't mean to derail the discussion.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    Cool, let me know.

For me I'd rather ride 15 minutes at pace with hot tires and come in early, then go out and spend 5 minutes getting the tires hot and then ride 15 minutes at pace.
    Exactly how I think about it too. I pit in early often and id rather ride hot for 10 mins and pit in than spend two laps each time cruising and then push my body and concentration when I'm not fresh that session.

I also find that on crowded days, I like to go hot first 1-2 laps to put some distance between me and others (who may be cruising to warm up tires). Nothing is more irritating than being stuck behind a bunch of folks and not having the room to work on your lines. Lines only work at pace, I learned that.

I also have read enough to subscribe to the school that believes you get better tire life by putting warmers on after each session. I get ridiculous life out of my tires and gathered enough data in my own experience to support this hypothesis.

Anyway, back to regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 05-19-15 at 12:29 PM.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i would probably run warmers if power was available, but like i said, NYST, TMSP, MMC and now PMP dont have power so ive lived with it. adjusted my riding. and am having just as much fun as anyone else. im usually one of the first ones out while you tire warmer guys wait until the last moment to get out there. by the time you hit the track im at least half a lap deep and if/when you catch up to me, ill be at pace by then.
    TETO

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I'm on slicks and I don't plan on running warmers.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

I haven't run warmers since 07. I have to admit that I have had 3 cold tire crashes in that time. One was a pressure related error on my part. But I have turned more sessions than most anyone in all those years. It's a pretty low odds deal once you understand how to heat up tires.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Exactly how I think about it too. I pit in early often and id rather ride hot for 10 mins and pit in than spend two laps each time cruising and then push my body and concentration when I'm not fresh that session.
    hmmm... different strokes I guess.

I find the first lap or two warm up my body and brain after sitting around for 40+ minutes. ... not to mention give me a chance to make sure the track is fine, and my bike is working as it should.

And the end of a session usually has fewer people in it, so is the best time to be on track.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

To run warmers, to not run warmers...who cares.

On to more serious business. Tony, I know it's a new track and I'm not planning on setting any records, but we should be able to pass on the outside at least in advanced group. If someone is in advanced (blue or black) and they get spooked being passed on the outside, they should not be in advanced group.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

I don't miss using warmers at track days at all. One less thing to worry about and more time for me to be a social butterfly.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    On to more serious business. Tony, I know it's a new track and I'm not planning on setting any records, but we should be able to pass on the outside at least in advanced group. If someone is in advanced (blue or black) and they get spooked being passed on the outside, they should not be in advanced group.
    Many pieces of information go into the passing rules. Whether or not someone gets spooked is just one small piece.

I believe anyone presented with all the puzzles pieces would come to the same conclusion as I have - at least for the first event.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    Tony, I know it's a new track and I'm not planning on setting any records...
    If it's the opening day of a brand new track, and I run an xxx.xxx time, do I hold the lap record till another person shows up with something better? I would like to hold the track record for a track, any track, however brief that reign may be That will go well with my "world track day champion" tshirt.

If it's the opening day of a brand new track, and I run an xxx.xxx time, do I hold the lap record till another person shows up with something better? I would like to hold the track record for a track, any track, however brief that reign may be That will go well with my "world track day champion" tshirt.
    I'm actually bringing a trophy for you.

They were out of shirts. Sorry.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Not unless you can beat the times laid down by all the expert ttd staff and instructors at their pre-opening staff day...no offense but good luck with that

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Not unless you can beat the times laid down by all the expert ttd staff and instructors at their pre-opening staff day...no offense but good luck with that

Paul_E_D

Paul, I'll be interested in hearing your gearing recommendation for the 125.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

I'm gonna record a little data just for fun. Will let you know, but I'm guessing your 39 will be fine. The straightaway is not actually straight, so I don't expect anything too crazy for speed.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Today is our test day... it's just a touring thing to get the line down and make sure we lay out any chicanes that are needed.

Without ambulances or flaggers, going fast is not an option.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Absolutely not. I didn't mean to imply that.

Paul_E_D

Awesome test today! We think we have a nice fix for the Turn 1 / 2 area which makes things a lot safer, without killing the flow of the section.

We also came up with a parking area plan that should allow everyone to keep their bikes on the pavement - under 10 x 10 ez ups if you have them.

And anyone with a big camper or motorhome or trailer... no problem there either... lots of large spaces for those.

We did about an hour of riding too, and came up with suggested passing zones that should keep things safe but not create bottlenecks. We'll have that posted up before the trackday so people can print them out.

Stay tuned (sign up for the email list... email going out by Thurs afternoon)

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Agreed, I think we got a good start at dialing in a fun, safe setup. With time and improvements, this is going to be a great training facility. The track is technical and a great training ground for street riders wanting to improve their mountain road chops. I can't wait to get more laps in and start developing the line. It's pretty different to what the car guys do in some spots!

Paul_E_D

I hope this one is involved in racing at some point in time.
    I was pretty upset about Thompson being so close and pretty much never will have racing there.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I was pretty upset about Thompson being so close and pretty much never will have racing there.
    Nope! Motorcycle racing is not allowed at this track and likely never will.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Prepare to be upset...

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast