Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

2006 Daytona Track-day Build

Re: 2006 Daytona Track-day Build

Well, then I'm willing to bet there was some twist in there that freed up because it was a completely different back after I reset it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

So, NYST member days, what an operation!

I called a couple times the day before to get details on camping, electric, power, etc...I spoke with Danny? He was super helpful and honestly seemed thrilled I was coming there for the first time. He said I needed to get in by 10pm to camp, I told him I wouldn't make it and he offered to hang around within reason to let me in. Awesome gesture, but I told him no thanks.

No electric, no air, but the Dunlop guy had a compressor open to public and there were plenty of people around to bum things off of.

Mandatory riders meeting with your standard stuff. There were 4 groups: cars, beginner, intermediate, and expert. This is my only complaint: 15 minute sessions are short. Great for tuning, but if I was trying to work on my riding and not the bike I don't think this is quite enough time. But 7 sessions ain't bad.

Instructors were great. Everyone got one on one time and called out and basically forced to do it. What I mean is you did not need to seek it, which is huge because I know how intimidating the track is for a new rider to begin with and sometimes asking for help can be scary in itself.

Overall, it was smooth, laid back, inexpensive, and fun. All the key ingredients for a track day. I WILL be back and highly recommend others to go check it out. I need to be back to see what o can do on this track.

The track: so much different to NHMS. This place flows. I felt like friggen Marquez from turns 7 through 11. Granted, getting it stopped for 12 tended to be an issue as the track seemed to fall off into the abyss the further off line you were. Once I got the bike sorted, I got some hot laps in with an instructor, instantly reminding me that I love this shit.

My weakest turns were 3 and 6. If I hit the first apex in 3 I missed the second and vice versa. Also, that damn turtle on the apex was a mind fuck. In 6 I tended to either drift wide or hug the inside the entire way around. I was also going wide on the exit of 15 almost the whole day, but as my trail breaking improved so did this.

The pavement is fantastic. So much grip. But reference points are few and far between. I only got one session of really pushing the pace so I did not spend a lot of time working on reference points, but I have a feeling you're going to need to get a bit creative.

One last thing: everyone go buy a road bike and start pedaling. I've never been so fresh after a track day. I don't think I broke a sweat or had any soreness/complaints all day. Considering my typical Saturday is 4-6 hours on a road bike, this was an absolute cake walk. Now excuse me as I go shave my legs.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-24-15 at 09:24 AM.

Enough with your feelings, how is the bike??

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Stoked your back on the track again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Enough with your feelings, how is the bike??
    Eh, its different.

2 years since being on a motorcycle, 4 years since being on a middleweight, second time ever with GP shift.

Once I got the suspension working it was a blast, but I need more time to figure it out. I'm making it a point to break my bad habits, most notably body positioning. I didn't touch my knee down a single time, yet some people I was blowing by had it planted. I remember first starting and being so obsessed with getting a knee down that it created the bad habit of being crossed up, something I struggled with on my motard as well.

Also, no slipper clutch on this thing. Not gonna lie, I love not having one, but I'm guessing this will bite me in the ass eventually. And I never understood why everyone made such a big deal about having a quick shifter, but holy shit I think this thing needs one. Shifts down the front straight were super choppy with or without the clutch.

Looking forward to the next one, someone pick a 2 day Tony's even for me to go to. Maybe June 14/15 at Thompson?

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-25-15 at 09:54 PM.

rrrright down by da beach island boyeee's Avatar

see you at Thompson 6/14-15! I spent a while getting my 675 to where it is now, and I 'm aware of that wavering you were talking about when leaned over. If you haven't done Thompson yet, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's a relatively easy and straight forward track, which allows you to really concentrate on your own riding mechanics.

08 Triumph Daytona 675, Jet Black w/ Gold
    dirty bike: 2015 KTM 250 XC-F

Quote Originally Posted by island boyeee View Post
    see you at Thompson 6/14-15! I spent a while getting my 675 to where it is now, and I 'm aware of that wavering you were talking about when leaned over. If you haven't done Thompson yet, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's a relatively easy and straight forward track, which allows you to really concentrate on your own riding mechanics.
    Are you just dealing with the wavering? Because there is no way what I was feeling was safe. It felt gyroscopic; it had a rhythm to it. My daytona street bike never did that on the track.

Yep mine had the same type of feeling sometimes. It is gone now. Somewhere between the new rear suspension and having the forks rebuilt and installing them properly (which Jim talked about), it went away. The bike feels great now. The only thing it's lacking is the ability to flick from one side to the other quickly, like in a chicane. Apparently this is where the new triples will come into play, so I'm working on saving my pennies for that big hit.

Forgot to mention that I also have the same "issue" of not dragging my knee even when going much faster than others who have theirs firmly planted on the ground. The daytonas definitely seem to take more speed and effort to get low. However, I've learned to see this as a good thing. When my knee touches, I know I'm hauling ass.

Woodcraft rearsets are on. They're pretty.

Just ordered some dzus fasteners, a 15/48 520 kit, and a pazzo shorty clutch lever to match the pazzor shorty brake lever that came on the bike.

Need to call PK tomorrow to get the rear shock freshened up and talk geometry.

Most importantly. Need more track time.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-27-15 at 08:24 AM.

daytonas (especially if set up for track use) are very tall and narrow bikes. i know when pete set up my bike he went as far as putting a spacer between my penski shock and the frame and even with the attack triples my forks are way down into the trees so the bike is very very tall. i find that where most people are dragging knee consistently you will see pictures of me with still an inch or two before touch down even though im lapping faster then they are. i can get my knee down but like island boyeee said it means im pushing a bit more lol i have heard this same story from many daytona racers/track riders over the years so its something that is weird but normal lol

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Just keep moving those markers in until your pants become soiled and you see god.
    LRRS EX #329
    Thank you to my 2022 sponsors: Vortex, Hot Bodies, Cycle gear, Spectro Oil, DP brakes!!

Had a good talk with Kates yesterday.

Attack triples will be here tomorrow. He has a used spring for the rear for me.

Nice. So I rode 2 days on a linear link setup. I do think it is eventually going to be an improvement for edge grip, feel and tire life. But it induced a little understeer that I still need to dial out.

The bike sits really tall now. I can barely tippy toe it at 5'7". It does squat more in the corners, which is why I'm getting the understeer.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Had a good talk with Kates yesterday.

Attack triples will be here tomorrow. He has a used spring for the rear for me.
    sweet! which ones, and how much? I know TJ @ RD has decent pricing on them, about $100 off or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Nice. So I rode 2 days on a linear link setup. I do think it is eventually going to be an improvement for edge grip, feel and tire life. But it induced a little understeer that I still need to dial out.

The bike sits really tall now. I can barely tippy toe it at 5'7". It does squat more in the corners, which is why I'm getting the understeer.
    I original called GMD to ask about the front end feel, ask about the mis-matched adjusters, and to have him rebuild the rear shock with the correct spring. Kates said I NEED to get the front sorted first and it HAD to be with new triples. I also asked about the linakge and he said it was on the absolute bottom of the list. Paul, since you have everything else done, I guess you are at the bottom of the list!

sweet! which ones, and how much? I know TJ @ RD has decent pricing on them, about $100 off or so.
    TJ hooked it up with a non-anodized set for $750. Super easy transaction, shipped out the same day. Said they'll have a bling bling gold finish on the top triple.

haha word. so you didn't get the newest GP ones then?

I am at the bottom of the list. This is the last mod I will make chassis wise. Like I said, I *think* there will be a nice improvement in edge grip, but I still need to get the understeer sorted.

Paul_E_D

haha word. so you didn't get the newest GP ones then?
    I have no idea. He said they are the same ones that are on their race bike. My bike is an 06, not sure if they have a GP or multiple versions of them. He never mentioned another, better version.

From the 675R forum:

"I have a few sets of the "gold/titanium" color top clamps with silver bottom clamps for both the 675R and the standard 675 in stock. I can offer you a special deal on those clamps while they last. (This will be the best pricing of the year)"

This is the color combo I got. He also said I am getting the same ones that are on the race bike. Hopefully GP then. I'm going to shoot a note.

website kinda sucks, but they show the 4 options here (2 models, 2 colors):

Triple Clamp Kit, Daytona 675 07-12 - all - Attackperformance.com

and here is RD's post about the GP ones:

Attack Performance GP Triple Clamps - Triumph675.Net Forums

Confirmed GP. TJ pulled ridiculous pricing.

Well, that's a bummer. I don't have the GP top clamp.

Paul_E_D

oh awesome! I may have to lock one of those down soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Well, that's a bummer. I don't have the GP top clamp.
    me either bummed these were not offered when i did mine

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Just keep moving those markers in until your pants become soiled and you see god.
    LRRS EX #329
    Thank you to my 2022 sponsors: Vortex, Hot Bodies, Cycle gear, Spectro Oil, DP brakes!!

One thing to note about the new linkage is that tire wear looks to be improved. This bike has proven to SHRED tires from the edge in. If this holds up at different tracks, then that alone could make it worthwhile.

Paul_E_D