Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Towing with a car not rated by manufacturer - insurance coverage questions

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Re: Towing with a car not rated by manufacturer - insurance coverage questions

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Where do you get electric drums for $37/wheel? I'd kind of like to add brakes to my enclosed setup.
    I only needed backing plates, I already had the drums (they are the same drums used with surge brakes) so that saved me 50 bucks a wheel. I got them from Trailer Brakes | etrailer.com . That said, I've had them for a few years (and they still work perfectly) but they have gone up 9 bucks a wheel since I bought them. Etrailer is an excellent resource, but if you need/want to buy stuff locally, Nuera (pronounced "new era", not "nwooera") in Nashua has great prices and a huge inventory. If you don't like your axle, you might be able to replace the axle with one that is pre-assembled with brakes for not much more than the cost of adding brakes to your axle.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    Or you can do like I did and just swap out the hydraulic drum backing plates for electric drum backing plates (for only 37 bucks per wheel on 3500 lb axles). As it turns out, the electric brakes are actually more reliable for underwater use than the hydraulic brakes and they are vastly more effective than surge brakes for slowing. I'd do this swap even if I did not use a WD hitch. That said, if I were buying a new boat trailer, I'd get it with stainless steel disc brakes on each wheel and an electric over hydraulic pump.
    Does the reliability under water extend out to use in salt water? Everything I've heard on the subject is purely anecdotal since the only boat I've towed wasn't large enough to necessitate a WDH or brakes, but I've heard fresh water is fine with a quality electric setup but salt water wreaks havoc on them hence the popularity of the electric/hydraulic systems.

Also, if you find the electric setup to be more reliable than hydraulic, why would you go with an electric/hydraulic setup on a new trailer?

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

I haven't had my trailer long enough to know if I like my axle or not. I'm quite ignorant on this front.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Instead of spending a small fortune on a surge compatible WDH, spend money on a proportional electric/hydraulic actuator and either lock-out or remove the surge actuator. In the grand scheme of things even with a less expensive WDH, you aren't talking about that much more money and you end up with a superior solution.
    I agree, electric over hydraulic work great. But not many people want to go out and spend an extra $700 to convert a trailer they just dropped $5k+ on. I just find it interesting with the new standards trucks are very limited in their towing capacity without additional aids. In the commercials about towing, I don't remember seeing them taking the time to strap on a WDH. My truck tows find without it, surge brakes work adequately.

Does the reliability under water extend out to use in salt water? Everything I've heard on the subject is purely anecdotal since the only boat I've towed wasn't large enough to necessitate a WDH or brakes, but I've heard fresh water is fine with a quality electric setup but salt water wreaks havoc on them hence the popularity of the electric/hydraulic systems.

Also, if you find the electric setup to be more reliable than hydraulic, why would you go with an electric/hydraulic setup on a new trailer?
    My experience, doesn't overly matter electric or hydraulic, salt water wreaks havoc. The best salt water trailer I had was equipped with a flushing system on the brakes you could hook up a garden hose to and rinse the inside of the drums out. If I were setting up a trailer for salt water, it would be hydraulic disk. More open, better stopping, less parts to fail. My last trailer had four wheel disc brakes, incredible performance. But if you lose that bypass solenoid, you have to have a lock out or backing up is not an option. I'm not sure they make an electric disc for immersion, which is why stoinks might be saying electric over hydraulic of the next trailer.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Yes, they are more reliable in both salt and fresh water. It's not the electric part that takes a beating by being dunked because the wiring is easy to seal and the electro-magnet comes form the factory completely sealed. It's the moving parts that corrode and the magnet/lever combo is simpler and more reliable than the slave cylinder in the hydraulic system. I have replaced at least 5 slave cylinders due to water intrusion from 2000 to 2010. They are cheap and easy to swap but bleeding is a pain. The electric parts have been flawless for 5 years, at least 200 immersions (half hot, half cold), and at least 20,000 miles. I inspect them twice a year (I'm really inspecting the bearings and seals for water intrusion, the brake inspection is a bonus) and they have always looked great.

The only reason I'd do electric over hydraulic is to get the power of disc brakes without having to use a surge coupler. Discs are substantially more powerful than drums but as far as I know, stainless steel disc brakes are only available in hydraulic form. I went with electric drums on my boat trailer because I already had drums and it was really cheap to swap over to electric in my situation. I was expecting more maintenance, but happy to report the opposite.

xxaarraa

Gents,

Heard back from my insurance carrier (Allstate). They do not care what you tow with and whether it's rated by manufacturer or not, your liability coverages and any optional comp/collision you carry on the trailer and its contents will apply. I am attempting to get this in writing, but my agent said he consulted with their lawyers and this was their stand. He also said this wasn't just Allstate specific. That might explain the myriad of interesting cars that you see people towing with- fiat, prius etc.

Anyway, another project added to my list. Thanks for all the thoughts,

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I'm with Liberty Mutual, let me know if you want me to call them and see what they say.

I hope you didn't give them your name.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I'm with Liberty Mutual, let me know if you want me to call them and see what they say.

I hope you didn't give them your name.
    Wouldn't hurt to get validation from Liberty as well. I gave them my full name and address, I just told them I was you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12