Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Motorcycle tires

Motorcycle tires

First time tire replacement on my 08 sv650. Any suggestions on tires and where to buy them?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    09 Ex500- totalled
    08 SV650s!!!

Cages: Ford Excursion
    Ford Mustang Gt
    Toyota Rav4

Re: Motorcycle tires

Motorcycle Tires, Motorcycle Parts, Discount Motorcycle Tires, Motorcycle Gear, & Motorcycle Accessories has treated me well and I've found them to consistently have the lowest price. I'm partial to Michelin so I'd go for power 3s for a lighter bike like the SV - I run Road 4s since my bike is a bit heavier.

I was running power 3s on my RC51. I ride most street with a few track days a year. Although I liked them I think I would have been just as happy with traction on something like Road 3/4. I was only getting 3-4k miles out of the rear. I would be happy to trade the unused traction for mileage. The only downside is that the profile on the Roads 3/4 is rounder. I need as much help tipping my piggy in as possible!

I hav Diablo Rosso 2s on my New to me Monster. They feel good and are suppose to be more sport touring tires. Haven't ridden overly aggressive or done a track day yet so we'll see.

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Pick a shop that you would use if your bike needed serious work beyond what you would do at home, and go buy tires (and have them mounted) there. That way, they are more likely to stay in business for when you need them, and they will know you and already have a positive opinion of you when you do need them.

PhilB

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

I've always been a fan of diablos. I used to really like Avon but they are crap now I think. My last 2 sets were disappointing.

Revzilla is my favorite online place. Tires are cumbersome and are usually shipped ground. So It's best to order from a place close by. Being in Philly, they're able to get things here to New England pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

I agree with Phil. Try to keep the local guys going, especially if they're doing the mounting/balancing for you.

I had Michelin Pilot Road 2s for 18,000 miles on my SV650, Pilot Power 3s for 13,000. The Power 3s are as SwiftTone says, pointier and stickier. The Roads are rounder and better in the cold and obviously longer lasting. Because I'm easy on tires, I take the Powers over the Roads. People on SVRider like both Road 4s and Pirelli Angels for sport touring style tires.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Being a small business owner, I'd like to support local shops. However, when they quote tires at manufacturer's list and then want forty bucks each to mount and balance off the bike, I'm thinking they don't want to be in the tire business. I'm not paying 700 for a set of tires.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Being a small business owner, I'd like to support local shops. However, when they quote tires at manufacturer's list and then want forty bucks each to mount and balance off the bike, I'm thinking they don't want to be in the tire business. I'm not paying 700 for a set of tires.
    I support Seacoast Sport Cycle, because they offer great customer service. I bought my last set of tires and had and had them mounted there; I got Pirelli Angels, which would be a suitable tire for the OP's SV650. Mine were 120/70-17 and 180/55-17. I rode the bike in and had them do all the work, and the total was less than half of your outrageous number.

Sometimes a shop doesn't want to be in the tire business. Back in San Diego I had all my work done at the Ducati dealer I bought the bike from for 17 years. That dealer didn't want to be in the tire business and said so. That's fine. I then got my tires from another local shop, which I supported because that's where I had work done for my (my wife's, my daughter's) Hondas and other Japanese bikes.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 06-14-15 at 01:18 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

beige camry attack mojobreakfast's Avatar

I have a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4's coming from Revzilla for my Street Triple R. I want a tire that makes the most sense for my primary use case, which is commuting. The PR4 should do well in the rain and cooler weather. I don't want aggressive street tires. So while I don't have direct experience with them yet, there's a suggestion. A buddy with a Speed Triple has them on his bike and likes them.

Revzilla is always good to deal with and generally has decent prices. A local guy with a tire changer is going to put them on for me (not a bike shop). You may be able to find such a situation in the bike maintenance forum. I am definitely, in most cases, the type that would go to a reputable dealer and buy the tires and have them mounted (see above, Seacoast is exceptional and I have had them put a tire package on my Ducati). However right now I am trying to save every buck I can, with a baby and day care costs chewing into my budget.

The Pirelli Angel GT's that Seacoast put on my Multistrada last time I was there are great, so I guess that's another vote for them (both Seacoast, and the tire). Again mostly commuting. Seacoast will do first-come, first-serve work on Saturday mornings, but call ahead to see if they have tires in your size in stock ahead of time, if you go that route.

Last edited by mojobreakfast; 06-14-15 at 08:15 AM.
    no bikes currently

I've dragged knee on a BMW touring bike on PR4's.

Normal is an illusion, what is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

I chose Pilot Road 4s for my Ninja 1000. I shopped around online for prices, and called around for dealer prices (plus installation). Seacoast tries to price-match, and they were able to come within $25 of the best online price.

Thrilled? You bet I was!

i now have PR4's on my K1300s and they performed great on my (very spirited) 800mi trip to/from montreal last month. i can't comment on the tire life just yet, but i do a lot of highway commuting so i'll find out soon enough.

bought/installed local by MAX BMW, total price for the set was within $10 of revzilla and in stock ready to go. got to take a 9 nineT out for a ride while i waited too.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

Love my PR4's.

Have Dunlop Q2's on the SV and love them too.

Seacoast is a solid shop to deal with.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I like revzilla a lot but I'd never buy tires there without a price match. Jake wilson is $40 cheaper on a set of road 4s in SV size. A set of power 3s is $55 cheaper and lasts pretty well obviously so I wouldn't feel bad about going that route either!

Yup, PR4s are awesome dry or wet and they last a long time. I've noticed that bike bandit has them on sale occasionally.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Adam at Seacoast had Q3's for a great price and a mail in rebate that made the deal unbeatable.
    You should give him a call. They may just be available still.