Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Wtb: Small generator

Re: Wtb: Small generator

Most of these chinese sourced, brand of the week labeled units won't hit their ratings, and you're planning on 1000w to 1200w of draw, minimum. You're going to be browning out running the genset at full crank and not necessarrily getting your tires fully up temp, plus anything else you plug in will be very pissed at the shit quality AC you're feeding it. Go bigger so you're not wailing the poor thing for your intended load and your motor will be happier along with everything you plug in.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Chinese.
    2kw.
    Inexpensive.
    Western MA
    Generator

Offer $90. Pay $100.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jasnmar; 06-25-15 at 08:03 PM.

Lol TLS I don't need anything cleaned up man

All advice is welcomed

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Prior to your edit with the helpful information about a relatively inexpensive inverter generator, my immediate reaction to your post, where you "fixed my post for me", was to question why some people just can't seem to understand that there are people that either don't have the money to, or don't want to spend the money to buy something more expensive.
    Fair commentary. If the ffy pissed you off, not my intention just goofing around.

But as the OP did not specify his budget; as the single most popular solution for this application (which has lower operating costs than construction generators) was proposed; a lower cost alternative [Briggs & Stratton] that would do the job was also proposed; and as the idea of splitting the acquisition cost with an off-season userhttp://www.sourceortho.net/aircast-autochill-cold-therapy-system/ was also proposed as a solution to the OP's problem, I'm not sure what the objection is?

Frankly I'm even more perplexed by motorcycle racers who say they can't afford something. I was 28 years old before I could scrape up $2,000 for a bikes, so I don't tend to take zero-based budgeting of racing efforts seriously. A guy who can afford a race bike, entry fees, travel costs, consumables, safety gear, and parts but can't afford to even consider the differences of $250 and $1,000 gensets? The OP can decide for himself.

Best Small Quiet Portable Generator for Camping: Honda vs Champion vs Yamaha 2000 Watt (2015) - YouTube

Last edited by Garandman; 06-26-15 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    A guy who can afford a race bike, entry fees, travel costs, consumables, safety gear, and parts but can't afford to even consider the differences of $250 and $1,000 gensets?
    You have it backwards. Some of us can only afford the race bike, entry fees, travel costs, consumables, etc by considering all of these differences.

Actually exactly that's why I need to choose where I save money.
    I need the best brakes, suspension, gear, tires I can afford.
    I can save on my daily commuter car, generator, flip flops, stuff I don't really care about or their usage is not that important to me.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I have this and it works fine. I used it one weekend at NYST with Chickenhawk warmers and a small fan. No issues and it comes with a 2 year warranty.

I put it in front of my Jeep, exhaust facing away and noise is not a problem. I will probably need to sell it for when I move.

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    I have this and it works fine. I used it one weekend at NYST with Chickenhawk warmers and a small fan. No issues and it comes with a 2 year warranty.

I put it in front of my Jeep, exhaust facing away and noise is not a problem. I will probably need to sell it for when I move.
    You aren't moving before July 9th by any chance? Lol

You are welcome to borrow my 4kW Champion if you are in a bind for the hill climb. Can't help with IoM though

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    You are welcome to borrow my 4kW Champion if you are in a bind for the hill climb. Can't help with IoM though
    thanks man! good to have a back up

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Prior to your edit with the helpful information about a relatively inexpensive inverter generator, my immediate reaction to your post, where you "fixed my post for me", was to question why some people just can't seem to understand that there are people that either don't have the money to, or don't want to spend the money to buy something more expensive.

This is just one example of a post where someone asked for an inexpensive solution to something they are looking to do and the majority of the answers were "spend more money" related. We all get it, spending more money will likely get you a better product that is more user friendly but sometimes for various reasons the spend more money option is not an option. Sav specifically asked a question about an inexpensive generator capable of performing a task. To get into a generator that is inexpensive and capable of doing what he wants it will likely be louder than desirable. My suggestion was a way to mitigate one of the down sides to buying an inexpensive generator.

Sav, let me know if you want me to delete this to clean up your thread.

You're right....we should make sure that we don't threadjack anyone else's post to bash cheaper options or debate oils....unless it is by Haiku or Limerick.....

Peaceful countryside...
    A pullstart and my ears ring.
    Harbor Freight? Cheap ass.

Cheap power seemed noisy, but clever.
    Xxaarraa hated the racket, however.
    With sabotage as his plan,
    he poured Rotella in the pan.
    But per Bergs it will now run forever.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Ductard; 07-06-15 at 01:32 PM.
    "Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

its in my blood

2 800w ac converters for your car??? That would work.. I'm not sure how long the battery would last..

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    2 800w ac converters for your car??? That would work.. I'm not sure how long the battery would last..

Wtb: Small generator-wtf-girl-car-jpg

LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

its in my blood

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    Wtb: Small generator-wtf-girl-car-jpg
    LOL
    we are talking about supplying tirewarmers .. right ?

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    LOL
    we are talking about supplying tirewarmers .. right ?
    Yeah. I suppose if you left the car running it might work, but you'd prolly spend more replacing alternators than buying a generator.

As far as not having the car running.....Looks like most deep cycle marine batteries are, lets say 1,200 Watt hours...."normal" car batteries are rated in cold cranking amps, not watt or amp hours... but assume that as a theoretical maxiumum (in reality they'd store much, much less energy). Most warmers take 1,000-1,200 Watts and 45 minutes to get to temp.

So, if there was some circumstance where you wanted to run warmers off your car battery, only needed warmers for (hopefully) one session, didn't need to drive home that night, and didn't care how much damage you'd do deep-cycling a car battery, then yeah, it would probably work.

Last edited by Ductard; 07-06-15 at 03:44 PM.
    LRRS 919

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    Cheap power seemed noisy, but clever.
    Xxaarraa hated the racket, however.
    With sabotage as his plan,
    he poured Rotella in the pan.
    But per Bergs it will now run forever.

its in my blood

It shouldn't strain the alternator. Ac converters are designed to deliver the watts.. I have an 800w in my car.. granted I haven't run tire warmers but I've left a fan on it for hours.. used an air pump and electric impact gun as well

Just let me know, Sav. It's doing nothing......keeping the patio safe, I guess.

It can run two full size fridges, a coffee maker and a griddle at once. You will have plenty to spare on top of the warmers.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Just let me know, Sav. It's doing nothing......keeping the patio safe, I guess.

It can run two full size fridges, a coffee maker and a griddle at once. You will have plenty to spare on top of the warmers.
    Burgs for a loaner for the hillclimb I am all set since I won't be attempting now :/
    If I need one for another event I'll let you know ASAP.
    Thank you for the kind offer anyways

Ever think about an Inverter? I have a Cobra 1575 and run a lot of power tools including a shop vac. I got 9 of them for the trucks and in 5 years had 1 burn out.Amazon was best price

its in my blood

Quote Originally Posted by zxme View Post
    Ever think about an Inverter? I have a Cobra 1575 and run a lot of power tools including a shop vac. I got 9 of them for the trucks and in 5 years had 1 burn out.Amazon was best price
    thats what i was suggesting... wonder how 2 800's would do with tire warmers.. or 1 1500W

Aren't those usually more expensive? Gino brought an Inverter with him at the first event to help me out. It was awesome but retails at $600-700

its in my blood

800w can be 70 to 200 bucks

its in my blood

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast