Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Wtb: Small generator

Looking to buy generator enough for warmers.
    Has to be in great condition. I don't care if it is loud or ugly. Functional is a must

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Wtb: Small generator

Champion Genny at TSC

I can attest to the reliability of mine. Not the quietest but good overall value

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Everybody to the limit!

Still looking...

Just left the pawn shop near my work, they have two, one was a 1200 watt 2.4 hp for $150 the other was a 8 hp for $250, unknown power

2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION

I like these prices

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I don't care if it is loud...
    You just stay in the lower paddock with a loud genny if you come to NYST. We value our peace and quiet up on Snob Hill

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    You just stay in the lower paddock with a loud genny if you come to NYST. We value our peace and quiet up on Snob Hill
    I don't do NYST neither I use warmers during TDs.
    I need it for the HillClimb events and possible the Isle of Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Philkinson View Post
    Just left the pawn shop near my work, they have two, one was a 1200 watt 2.4 hp for $150 the other was a 8 hp for $250, unknown power
    I doubt 1200 would be enough to run warmers. I think you need about 1800-2000

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    I doubt 1200 would be enough to run warmers. I think you need about 1800-2000
    My research says otherwise, I think 1200 is the just above the minimum you can run for one set of warmers, if I remember correctly.

Research time, again

Edit: looks like 1200 will run a set of warmers and only a set of warmers. No fan, no compressor etc

Last edited by Philkinson; 06-25-15 at 03:29 PM.
    2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION

xxaarraa

You know, you don't realize how insanely annoying a LOUD generator is until you pit right next to one and it goes clattering away for a whole day. Some days I find my ears ringing towards the end of the day.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

A possible help for a loud generator would be some sort of three walled, with or without a roof, enclosure to put around the generator as a sound deflector. It needs to be big enough to allow air flow for cooling but doesn't need to be huge. Light wood, foam insulator board, cardboard might even work.

Aim the opening away from everyone and there you have it a quieter generator for not a whole lot of investment. Not saying it will be quiet but it will be quieter.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    A possible help for a loud generator would be some sort of three walled, with or without a roof, enclosure to put around the generator as a sound deflector. It needs to be big enough to allow air flow for cooling but doesn't need to be huge. Light wood, foam insulator board, cardboard might even work.

Aim the opening away from everyone and there you have it a quieter generator for not a whole lot of investment. Not saying it will be quiet but it will be quieter.
    Or you can put some of that money into buying a quieter generator to start with?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Philkinson View Post
    My research says otherwise, I think 1200 is the just above the minimum you can run for one set of warmers, if I remember correctly.

Research time, again

Edit: looks like 1200 will run a set of warmers and only a set of warmers. No fan, no compressor etc

From Woodcraft's website:
    Woodcraft's engineering allows our warmers to run on only 1,000 watts (20% less than the competition) while still supplying maximum heat. When power gets low the Woodcraft warmers will get you heat when the others fail

I forget where I was reading about max power draw vs. average power draw (maybe when I was looking into AC units?) might be more relevant to other appliances, like AC, but something's telling me you might run into problems running warmers on a 1,200 watt power source.

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Let's make clear that I didn't ask for a Loud one. I said I don't care. If it's gonna save me significant id rather save.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Or you can put some of that money into buying a quieter generator to start with?
    I was thinking more of the people that might have a loud generator already or maybe don't have, or don't want to spend, the significant jump in price to get into a quiet generator.

Not too sure if the $10-20 in new material or the money you would get selling the scrap material, laying around in the basement, that can be used for this would put too much of a dent in the cost of a quiet generator.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Let's make clear that I didn't ask for a Loud one. I said I don't care. If it's gonna save me significant id rather save.
    Sav, If you are looking for an inexpensive generator more than likely it will be on the louder side of things. Sometimes deals pop out of nowhere for the quiet/inverter type generators but typically they are significantly more expensive than others.

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    A possible help for a loud generator would be to buy a Honda EU2000i. The higher purchase price is more than made up by reliability,durability, low noise and low fuel consumption.
    ffy

For extra credit, find someone who lives in the boonies and split it six months per year each.

Briggs & Stratton makes a 2000 watt inverter generator for $650.

Last edited by Garandman; 06-25-15 at 06:46 PM.

Borderline for your use, I'd steer you towards something that is rated for 1600w continuous minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Borderline for your use, I'd steer you towards something that is rated for 1600w continuous minimum.
    Champion Power Equipmentâ„¢ 1400W/1800W Portable Generator, CARB Compliant - Tractor Supply Co.

1400 wont cut it?

I agree with Kurlon (I *think* you are running Chicken Hawks).

I wouldn't do less than 1600W continuous.

Woodcraft, which are better insulated, you might get away with 1200W, but you'd still want to be careful about plugging them in / turning them on.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with Kurlon (I *think* you are running Chicken Hawks).

I wouldn't do less than 1600W continuous.

Woodcraft, which are better insulated, you might get away with 1200W, but you'd still want to be careful about plugging them in / turning them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    ffy

For extra credit, find someone who lives in the boonies and split it six months per year each.

Prior to your edit with the helpful information about a relatively inexpensive inverter generator, my immediate reaction to your post, where you "fixed my post for me", was to question why some people just can't seem to understand that there are people that either don't have the money to, or don't want to spend the money to buy something more expensive.

This is just one example of a post where someone asked for an inexpensive solution to something they are looking to do and the majority of the answers were "spend more money" related. We all get it, spending more money will likely get you a better product that is more user friendly but sometimes for various reasons the spend more money option is not an option. Sav specifically asked a question about an inexpensive generator capable of performing a task. To get into a generator that is inexpensive and capable of doing what he wants it will likely be louder than desirable. My suggestion was a way to mitigate one of the down sides to buying an inexpensive generator.

Sav, let me know if you want me to delete this to clean up your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    thats awesome just a bit too far.
    I run Woodcraft warmers

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    ffy

Completely agree with you Garandman. My EU2000i is one of the nicest things I own. It's odd to think so, since its just a generator, but its true. If ever there was one product that captured all the genius of Japanese manufacturing, the Honda generators would come close.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast