Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

07 FZ6 head shake

07 FZ6 head shake

This is my wife's bike that we are going to turn into a track bike. It has a Power Commander and a 2 Brothers exhaust. The rear shock is going to Race Tech and there will be emulators in the forks (right now suspension is stock with 11,000 miles). At about 115 or so there is a shimmy in the front end, not horrible but it's there. Currently there is no steering stabilizer. Should l start by adding one and which brand? What else to look for?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Normal is an illusion, what is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Re: 07 FZ6 head shake

Prob would be a good investment to have one as comming out of the bowl is a ripple section thats a head shaker...

I am a fan of Ohlins steering dampners and they are now in NC and will service it and fix if needed. I have sent 2 of them to them and both times they have been great for service and feedback on if there is any issues and NO UPSELLING.

just be aware of the cheap ones on Ebay as they are OEM ZX10 ones that are crap.... I would call RidersDiscount and price it out and go from there......

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

maybe start with basics?? are all the weights on front tire still there for balancing?? any wierd wear pattern on tire?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

On that bike the stock suspension is complete shit for anything beyond enjoyable riding. The shimmy you are experiencing might be nothing more than a shortage in suspension but be certain the bike is correct before potentially covering up an issue with a damper

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

For that bike, forks from a 03-04 R6 or 06-08? R6S are a fairly straightforward swap, just need a couple spacers for the axle and the fender. A few Guys on the FZ6 forum have swapped a R1 shock on as well.
    The thing that always bugs me about my FZ6 is the choppy off/on throttle transition, especially after riding My 8 years older carbed CBR. If the bike is in decent shape, you might be better off selling/trading it for a more capable track bike.

Last edited by MattR302; 06-24-15 at 01:56 PM.

Front tire is balanced and the tire has even wear. Wife bought this new off the floor so we know it's never been down. For swap is not out of the question. I am owed some money from my job and when l get my check the wife is getting a new R3 which will get suspension work before it leaves the garage. In the mean time we're keeping the FZ. Once sorted the, the FZ could be an ok backup/rain bike, no? I wonder if a new throttle tube would help the chopyness? We've been sharpening out throttle control and trail braking skills on this bike, get it wrong and it 'tells on you' instantly. I will add an Ohlins steering damper to the list. The head bearings feel ok but I'll probably do them while the forks are off just for good measure.

Last edited by sedanman; 06-24-15 at 03:07 PM.
    Normal is an illusion, what is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.