Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hurricane Mountain Road Seacoast Ride....July 25th 8:30 sharp!

Re: Hurricane Mountain Road Seacoast Ride....July 25th 8:30 sharp!

Holy crap, really Don? Didn't you ride it down the mountain? I'm sorry that happened. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

And Nick, I was on the black Tuono.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Baker View Post
    And Nick, I was on the black Tuono.
    I didn't know that was you.

How did the second half of the ride go? We split after lunch, did Westside road then backtracked home the scenic way.

On the sort of day that looks both promising and threatening at the same time, 15 of us left Seacoast and took some nice roads passing through Deerfield, Pittsfield, Alton Bay and Wolfboro! It was quite the collection of bikes too. Mostly Italian, some Brit bikes, and some German too. I think there were only 3 or 4 UJM bikes this time!

The route I had planned included a bit of dirt to get to Madison Boulder but NOT the 3 mile stretch just past Purity Springs Resort. Sorry about that, but it's said it's not really a DucDave ride without some dirt! I hadn't been to Madison Boulder in a few years so was surprised to find the road was gated about half way up. No worries, we walked the rest of the way and most folks were suitably impressed.

After fueling up, and putting up with some traffic and a self appointed speed control dork on a Harley, the next stop was the top of Cathedral Ledge. We had some nice views of North Conway and Cranmore.

We took the road down and as I waited at the bottom for everyone to pull up I got a slightly garbled message from Terry that someone had a tip over but was on the way. Soon enough one of the Kawi riders pulled up to me. His oil light was on and there was some ticking. I assumed the light was the tip over indicator...no idea about the ticking. He said he'd hang back and see what he could do and the rest of us stopped at Subway and got out picnic lunch - THANKS SEACOAST! (I heard later that his engine had seized and he had to get UHaul to get it home. Bummer...)

At this point 5 of the group dropped out and picked continued on a route they had planned. Ciao boys...!

Hurricane Mountain Road was no better or worse than usual and it was the same bucket of grins it always is!

Rt. 113 through Evans Notch had been paved since I was there last...very nice! We stopped at the pull-off and had a pleasant lunch!

Some of us might have napped if we stayed a little longer!

After lunch it was a straight shot west to Gorham then a swooping fast romp south past Mt. Washington and down to Glen. I don't think I've ever seen so many cars parked at the National Park Centers and Trail Heads. It was amazing....

At 302 we planned to catch Near Notch Road. But shortly after turning I got another call from Terry. Apparently Al (alegerlotz) had some hand cramps that he felt would take some hydration and time to resolve so no we're down to 8 riders! As I turned left on to Bear Notch Eric pulled up and pointed to his gs tank indicating he didn't have enough fuel to make it over the Kanc. So we followed him further North on 302 expecting a gas station to appear in the next couple miles! Nope...! We ended up riding all the way through Crawford Notch, past the Mt. Washington Hotel, Cog Railway, and Wiley House. Again...tons of cars at all these sites!

But there was also a nice stretch of passing zone through some gorgeous sweepers!

After refueling I turned the lead over to the fellow on the Diavel. (Sorry...your name is so far up I can't seem to pull it out!)

By now my GPS was telling me I'd get home around 6:30 if I headed there directly. And my hip and back were saying 'ow'....

So I radioed Terry who just behind the lead that I was bailing at 93s just north of Franconia Notch. I stopped in Ashland for water and some Advil and caught up with Terry around Canterbury! We waved adieu at the 93/293 split and I rolled into the garage about 6:15 with just 350 miles on the ODO.

I'd love to hear details on how the rest of the ride went. I know Eric didn't get home until the next day and had 7000 miles on his ODO! How bou't the rest of you!

Thanks all for joining this ride. Sorry about your mechanical Don...truely sucks. And I hope your cramps resolved sooner rather than later Al! It was nice meeting you and I love your bike!

Later...

Dave

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DucDave; 07-26-15 at 06:36 AM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Thanks Dave!'
    It was a great day with mild just about perfect temps for riding most of the day. I admit in the early AM I triggered my heated grips on the way up to Seacoast.
    The pace was excellent and I had a great day with my friends.
    The 5 of us peeled after lunch and really had a great high speed run south thru the twisty's almost repeating the run north earlier in reverse.
    Awesome Day! And that was one big ass rock.
    Shout out to Seacoast for the Lunch they are as always awesome.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Rosco61; 07-26-15 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks for a great ride!

When I split off it was because I was cramping up ( first my legs a bit and then my left hand) and I didn't feel safe riding on until the cramps subsided. I'm sure that I was dehydrated because I've gotten similar cramps after a hard day bicycling.

I drank a bottle of water and waited about 10 minutes and then felt better. I rode down Bear Notch Rd to the Kanc, grabbed some gas and a big powerade on the other side and took 93 home (with the cruise control, which is nice to have when you're riding 95 miles on the highway .

I look forward to riding with you guys in the future.
    -Al

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by alegerlotz; 07-27-15 at 06:18 AM.
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    1988 BMW K100RS

You rode the RT? How was the pace? I'd like to join one of these rides but an RT is currently my only bike.

Normal is an illusion, what is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    You rode the RT? How was the pace? I'd like to join one of these rides but an RT is currently my only bike.
    The pace was "quick", but I was very impressed with the RT. I just got back to riding this spring after a 25 year hiatus with no bike. I picked up the RT in March and prior to this ride I'd done about 3000 miles on it.

I wouldn't want to drag race any of the Ducatis, but in terms of cornering, etc... the RT was right at home.

2005 BMW R1200RT
    1988 BMW K100RS

Those beemers are awesome and more than adequate for street rides at that pace. Beautiful bikes.

I saw a group of about 6 sport bikes with what looked like 2 Ducatis leading on Bear Notch on Saturday around 11:30. Was it anyone from this ride?

Jeff

Wirelessly posted (iPhone)

Nope....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

RT is fine for any of these rides. As always ride your own ride. I've done a number of the seacoast rides on a GL, some 2 up. Ride the pace you are comfortable with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12