Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

School me on user friendly dirtbike/motard stands

xxaarraa

School me on user friendly dirtbike/motard stands

After trying 3-4 different types of stands and spending a bunch of money, I am at wits end. Can anyone point me to a user friendly motard stand that:

1. Doesn't need me to physically lift the bike up on to it. i.e., don't want a stool.
    2. Is wide/long enough that the bike won't slip off it while taking wheels off
    3. Is relatively easy to transport. This is a nice to have, not must have.
    4. Doesn't let the bike just crash land on to the floor when unloading? This is also a nice to have, not must have.

Here are all the stands I have tried so far, but not happy with any of them:

Was too tall to get underneath the bike without having to lift the bike itself. I removed the casters and it was short enough to fit underneath, but was clunky.

I had to modify it to make the lever/arm not retract all the way back towards the bike preventing me from exerting any leverage on it. It works now, but is so unstable/unsteady.

I had very high hopes for this one. Condor makes good products, and being flat makes it easy to transport and certainly easy to roll the bike onto. On paper. The dang thing doesn't even work. I can't get nearly enough leverage on the arm to lift the bike up on it. I may try futzing with mounting the arm in a different hole etc. but so far, it's proving to be an expensive mistake.

This one looks good on paper, but again, pricey. Anyone have experience?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: School me on user friendly dirtbike/motard stands

I have the older generation Risk Racing stand. I absolutely LOVE it. Primary fault with it is a lack of grip on concrete, the stand has a nasty habit of sliding forward when you try to roll onto it. On dirt or pavement it hasn't been an issue. With motard wheels (bike is closer to the ground) it takes a bit more effort to raise the bike, I have to stand on the pedal and make an effort to drop my weight. I also have to shift the bike slightly so the front wheel is off the front catch once raised so it'll spin freely. Sometimes backing off the stand can be a minor PITA if you catch the pedal on your way off.

Last edited by Kurlon; 07-19-15 at 07:46 PM.

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

keeping an eye on this... I just ordered the Tusk stand. main thing is want stability while the bike is on it. but i was figuring on putting a strap over the bike seat and stand to keep it sort of planted

hmmmm......

Lifer

Works great. Priced right.

Last edited by nhbubba; 07-19-15 at 08:09 PM.

School me on user friendly dirtbike/motard stands-11738017_622418424565843_6515986591516915649_n-jpg

As an example, my motard being built on my Risk Racing stand, 'cause it works.

This one looks tits but I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere. Rick Breen has one for his S1000RR, its sweet. Have no idea whether or not it's viable for a motard or if pins are available ornif they even make the stand anymore. It is cool though

Black Widow Motorcycle Side Lift
    School me on user friendly dirtbike/motard stands-uploadfromtaptalk1437391450673-jpg

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    This one looks tits but I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere. Rick Breen has one for his S1000RR, its sweet. Have no idea whether or not it's viable for a motard or if pins are available ornif they even make the stand anymore. It is cool though

Black Widow Motorcycle Side Lift
    School me on user friendly dirtbike/motard stands-uploadfromtaptalk1437391450673-jpg
    That's a copy of a copy. Bursig made it originally, then motomfg and now podium/black widow etc.

I have 2 of the motomfgs - one for each superbike. Love them. But very unlikely for a motard, and extremely difficult to transport.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 07-20-15 at 06:58 AM.

Spool ends and a pitbull - simple and I already had them so free.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    Spool ends and a pitbull - simple and I already had them so free.
    You know, that's a really good suggestion. The motard has spools and I just picked up a pitbull with the tirewedge too.

But the problem with a front and rear stand setup is you have to carry two stands (and pitbulls are bulky). And still can't do things like drop the forks.

good luck with that mr. overthinker guy

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

You can use spool stands for warmers. Why not just get a cheap-o milk crate stand for when you do want to drop the forks?

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

High maintenance priss

I'm interested in that Condor if you decide to ditch it. I'd think that lowering the saddle height a notch might fix your problem though.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

Works great. Priced right.
    I use the HF one as well for my dr350. You need to mod it slightly with a grinder or belt sander (read the reviews), and grease all the pivot points.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    You know, that's a really good suggestion. The motard has spools and I just picked up a pitbull with the tirewedge too.

But the problem with a front and rear stand setup is you have to carry two stands (and pitbulls are bulky). And still can't do things like drop the forks.
    Note that if you want to race that motard, a belly pan might render any stand that lifts from the frame/engine case useless. I have a CF belly pan that wouldn't support the weight of the bike much less me climbing on to kick-start it (which you sort of have to do to warm up the engine while still on the warmers)

Walking around the garages, it seems like some people are getting away with skid-plates, maybe slightly modified, but they seem to have little or no fluid retention capacity. Those guys use bottom lift stands, but per a strict interpretation of the rules, I'm surprised their belly pans pass tech...

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    I use the HF one as well for my dr350. You need to mod it slightly with a grinder or belt sander (read the reviews), and grease all the pivot points.
    I have one of the tusk stands...I'd probably get the HF one b/c it's about half the price and probably works just as well...although the HF one doesn't appear to be adjustable so if your bike isn't within the (surprisingly tight) height range where the stand will fit under it but still fully lift the wheels off the ground you're SOL.

I drilled through mine so I could put a pin through the Tusk stand, like the HF stand.

I also had to grease the pivot/sliding surfaces, and don't expect the paint on the inner tube to last longer than a half day or so....paint does not make a good coating for a sliding surface and is really just there so it looks good in the store and so that the rust process doesn't start until you put the stand into service...

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Expert plates do a lot for getting stuff through tech.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    good luck with that mr. overthinker guy
    haha, dude, if you couldn't have an enclosed trailer and had to ride 30 track days a year with only an SUV and open trailer setup, you do have to over think everything. Packing and unpacking becomes a science, and I'd put good $$ and time into making life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    You can use spool stands for warmers. Why not just get a cheap-o milk crate stand for when you do want to drop the forks?
    I don't run warmers on the motard. I run race rubber I take off from the other bikes (running a 190 rear GPA-Pro now that I took off the RSV4), but warmers seem to make no difference. I think the motard just doesn't make enough power to push the tires. Talking to other guys who are racing SXVs on the aprilia forum, many of them don't run warmers. Besides, the back tire is constantly moving around on me everywhere, so I am not sure how warmers will help with grip.

Your point is fair though. Dropping forks isn't a frequent occurance (I am not Max Power ), so the stand doesn't have to accommodate that.

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    I'm interested in that Condor if you decide to ditch it. I'd think that lowering the saddle height a notch might fix your problem though.
    Say more Keena. By saddle height, you mean the stand's top/base plate? The UBS 2000 is not height adjustable, though some photos on the internet seem to suggest it is. I think Condor might have updated the model in later iterations, it's all now fixed height. I was actually going to use a couple of 2x4s to raise the bike's wheels up a tad more to see if that solved the leverage problem. If that worked, I could work out a more elegant way of adding a few inches to the condor to raise the bike up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    Note that if you want to race that motard, a belly pan might render any stand that lifts from the frame/engine case useless. I have a CF belly pan that wouldn't support the weight of the bike much less me climbing on to kick-start it (which you sort of have to do to warm up the engine while still on the warmers)

Walking around the garages, it seems like some people are getting away with skid-plates, maybe slightly modified, but they seem to have little or no fluid retention capacity. Those guys use bottom lift stands, but per a strict interpretation of the rules, I'm surprised their belly pans pass tech...
    I do want to race the motard. Schedule just hasn't allowed me to do that this year. And it already has a fluid retaining belly from factory. I am not sure if that complies with LRRS/CCS regulations or not, but it does retain fluids. Every time I change the oil, I remove the belly and clean it out.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 07-20-15 at 10:25 AM.

...And it already has a fluid retaining belly from factory. I am not sure if that complies with LRRS/CCS regulations or not, but it does retain fluids. Every time I change the oil, I remove the belly and clean it out.
    when i had an SXV i opted for a swingarm stand with pads rather than an MX style stand because of the reservoir and tubing under the frame, didn't want to crush that stuff over and over. the HF swingarm stand with pads worked fine for cheap money. for the front i would just get creative when i needed to remove the wheel or forks, e.g. straps from garage door rails to hang the front. i needed the rear off the ground more than the front so that worked in a pinch.

for the dirt bikes, i use an FMF lift stand like pictured below. also have a Moose stand that i like but you need to lift the bike onto it.

only thing to watch out for with the lift stands is the top plate size. some are pretty small and don't hold the bike well. the larger the better + thick rubber padding.

they don't make it anymore but here's the FMF i have...

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Mine is not modified in any way. It works.

What modification are you eluding to? I'm not following.

I did just find this video, which is a helpful idea. I had the chain mounted to the bottom the way it comes. Tore it off the first time I got the chain pinched under the stand. Now I just have the pin loose. Miracle I haven't lost it yet.

High maintenance priss

Say more Keena. By saddle height, you mean the stand's top/base plate? The UBS 2000 is not height adjustable, though some photos on the internet seem to suggest it is.
    Ya - the top plate. I checked their site more closely and see what you're sayin'; they have pics with adjustable uprights as well as a fixed bar. That sucks if it's not adjustable. Sumo'ed dirtbikes are a bit lower vs. dirt trim, right?

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    when i had an SXV i opted for a swingarm stand with pads rather than an MX style stand because of the reservoir and tubing under the frame, didn't want to crush that stuff over and over. ...
    hey typeone, did you race the SXV at Loudon? If so, did the factory belly comply with regs?

I am on the lookout for a Mecca systems bashplate. I also heard there may be a factory metal skid plate that was offered. But I'd like to know if the standard plastic belly is good to go as it is.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    Ya - the top plate. I checked their site more closely and see what you're sayin'; they have pics with adjustable uprights as well as a fixed bar. That sucks if it's not adjustable. Sumo'ed dirtbikes are a bit lower vs. dirt trim, right?
    I think so. I don't have a point of reference to compare, but my motard is an SXV and judging by the way its causing me issues with stands, I want to say it sits pretty low.

They are a good chunk lower. With a woods MX setup (18" rear wheel) my stand doesn't have to really 'lift' very far. Sumo wheels and you're actively hoisting the bike up from further down.

hey typeone, did you race the SXV at Loudon? If so, did the factory belly comply with regs?

I am on the lookout for a Mecca systems bashplate. I also heard there may be a factory metal skid plate that was offered. But I'd like to know if the standard plastic belly is good to go as it is.
    no, i didn't race it, backroad toy + a few track days. god i miss it. had a full Silmoto system on it... BARKED!

not sure how strict the regs are but i kinda doubt the factory skid will work. if i remember correctly, there are a few slots in the pan for the overflow tubes so not really a 'belly' pan that can hold some fluid if anything spills. i'm not a racer though so no clue really.

Beta 200RR

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    had a full Silmoto system on it... BARKED!
    Gotcha. The silmoto would be awesome, but they are over a grand! With a silmoto, AF1 filter and an Alice racing map reflash, the SXV makes 75 hp, and came out 9 years ago!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast