Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

3yr bitch Brindle boxer mix -

3yr bitch Brindle boxer mix -

The forum forces a prefix so this thread is inaccurately labeled "For Sale"

All shots up to date and I do not anticipate a rehoming fee.

My mother is looking to rehome her dog, Bella.

Bella is between 2 and 3 years old and was rescued by my mom and transported up from the south in a malnourished state however other history is unknown. She did not appear to be physically abused and I have not noticed any mental scarring that cannot otherwise be corrected, in my opinion.

Bella is very energetic and happy however my loving mom has not effectively stuck with a very specific training regimen, and given certain personality traits these dogs can exhibit (nipping), I believe mom has reached her mental capacity to correctly train this dog, hence the request to rehome.

The home Bella will need is one with an experienced understanding of dog mentality, patience and of course a loving, caring environment. I estimate it will take a year of daily training before results are seen. She easily gets jealous and reacts as a result...the exact point where my mother fell short in the training.

It sounds to me as if there are two choices my mother will make, rehome or euthanize. I am obviously trying to avoid the latter since I feel this dog is not that far gone.

If you are interested or know of a home that might fit the bill, please contact me through PM.

Pics to serious interest parties.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 3yr bitch Brindle boxer mix -

What can you say more specifically about Bella? Is you mom home with her daily? Does she exhibit separation anxiety? The nipping, is that towards people or other dogs?

My boxer was a difficult beasty for a while, they are a great dog though.

I have zero experience "selling" dogs so I'm not sure what specifics folks might be interested in. Please bear with me.

She stands about 3.5 hands tall to her shoulder and is somewhere in the 60 lb range. Her tail has been docked.

I believe some separation anxiety exists however I am uncertain as to the severity. I know a few things have been chewed, to my knowledge no dwellings have been ripped apart. I will get clarification on those details.

She has nipped or fought with other dogs a few times and it seems to be, at least IMO, related more to places she is familiar with and out of jealousy. For example, she is completely submissive to my dog whenever she is at my house but will be right up in the mix at, say, my grandfather's house; a place she sees a lot more often and also where there are at least two other dogs.

There is one instance of her nipping my grandfather but knowing him, he probably earned it. I have told him a few times to take it easy with my dog as he was clearly getting irritated (my dog). No surprise for me here.

The thing I've come to know about these breeds is they are nippy from the onset. I have been involved with many types of dogs and the one of things that seems to commonly exist is what I've called "exitement nipping" where the boxer-type breeds will "mouth" a person out of excitement. What I see happening in Bella's case is that my mother has done little to curtail this behavior in general and now it has started to show up in a more negative way. Couple that with the jealousy thing and....well....here we are.

Gotcha. I just wanted to get a little clarification before I made some calls. I love Boxers, they are a misunderstood breed. They are very smart but stubborn and easily excitable. Soft play and firm correction to keep them on the right path, they don't realize how large and strong they really are. But they are a very loving dog.

No problem. Any other questions just post up or mssg me.

I will try to get pics up tonight. For some reason the forum stopped liking my phone so I can't upload til later.

Does Bella get along with cats and small dogs? I had to put down my mastiff earlier this year and am now thinking about getting another dog.

-Lionel
    98' 748
    2010 Streetfighter S

Quote Originally Posted by Gonz0 View Post
    Does Bella get along with cats and small dogs? I had to put down my mastiff earlier this year and am now thinking about getting another dog.
    If by "get along" you mean "eat", then it sounds like a yes.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Gonz0 View Post
    I would say, unless you are up to the task of the level of training described above, there will be certain risks associated with you taking her on.