Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Looking at classic BMW's, a lot don't have a title... Registering in MA?

Looking at classic BMW's, a lot don't have a title... Registering in MA?

So, as the title says, I am looking to buy a 70s or 80s airhead, but I keep hitting a wall in that half of them out there don't have titles. I just called the MA RMV, and the representative said as long as a bike is over 10 years old, it does not need to have a title. Can anyone corroborate this in their experience? I feel like I didn't have a title when I registered my first motorcycle (a 70s kz400) but that was 15 years ago and I drink a lot, so my memory cannot be trusted.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Looking at classic BMW's, a lot don't have a title... Registering in MA?

Quote Originally Posted by loudog3114 View Post
    So, as the title says, I am looking to buy a 70s or 80s airhead, but I keep hitting a wall in that half of them out there don't have titles. I just called the MA RMV, and the representative said as long as a bike is over 10 years old, it does not need to have a title. Can anyone corroborate this in their experience? I feel like I didn't have a title when I registered my first motorcycle (a 70s kz400) but that was 15 years ago and I drink a lot, so my memory cannot be trusted.
    I don't know about MA but it is 100% true in ME and in other states. The requisite age of the bike may vary, but yes, after a certain period you no longer need a title.

If you're buying the bike from a state that wouldn't issue it a title, Mass has to accept the bill of sale and last reg as proof of ownership transfer.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Q: Are there things Kurlon doesn't know about?
    A: No

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Q: Are there things Kurlon doesn't know about?
    A: What are girls like?
    Fixed that for ya.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Fixed that for ya.
    Girls are basically like boats.. a hole that you throw money into. Except that they don't float

I kid, I kid

The don't float a first, but give it a few hours/days.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

If you're buying the bike from a state that wouldn't issue it a title, Mass has to accept the bill of sale and last reg as proof of ownership transfer.
    Oh, in my experience MA doesn't have to do anything MA doesn't want to do. My fear is getting to the counter and dealing with some broad having a bad day that doesn't know about or care about what the rep on the phone told me. I don't see that 10 year exemption rule listed anywhere on the MA RMV web site, so I was hoping somebody with experience in this same type of scenario could let me know how it went. I am looking at RI/CT/NH bikes.

I've done it a few times. As long as you have the old reg from the previous owner from a state that isn't MA and it's 10 years old or more, you are golden.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Also from RMV

Massachusetts Title Law went into effect on September 1, 1972. This law requires that all motor vehicles and trailers be titled within ten (10) days of purchase. Passenger vehicles with a model year of 1980 and older, purchased before November 26, 1990 are exempt from titling. Any vehicle purchased after November 26, 1990 must be titled, excluding the following:

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    The don't float a first, but give it a few hours/days.
    I meant to say "it's a hole that you throw money into; with a boat it's water but with a girl it's a house"

Quote Originally Posted by loudog3114 View Post
    Oh, in my experience MA doesn't have to do anything MA doesn't want to do. My fear is getting to the counter and dealing with some broad having a bad day that doesn't know about or care about what the rep on the phone told me. I don't see that 10 year exemption rule listed anywhere on the MA RMV web site, so I was hoping somebody with experience in this same type of scenario could let me know how it went. I am looking at RI/CT/NH bikes.
    The fun part is Mass law actually discusses this and includes examples of Maine Title rules showing awareness and acceptance of this. Just because the front line monkeys at the RMV desk aren't cooperative at first doesn't mean they're right.

https://secure.rmv.state.ma.us/Polic...wresidents.htm

This also covers things that are never titled, like bikes under 300cc in Maine, etc.

The fun part is Mass law actually discusses this and includes examples of Maine Title rules showing awareness and acceptance of this. Just because the front line monkeys at the RMV desk aren't cooperative at first doesn't mean they're right.

This also covers things that are never titled, like bikes under 300cc in Maine, etc.
    Thanks for that. I could get two things out of that article... 1 - If a bike is over 15 years old from RI or NH without a title, I can register it in MA.. OR 2 - If I want to register a 15+ year old bike from NH or RI, I would need the owner to apply for a title and sign it over to me.

This may help.

Private Sale

To obtain a Title for a used vehicle purchased from a non-dealer, the following are required:
    1. A completed and signed RMV-1 Form. If the vehicle is going to be registered, the RMV-1 Form must be stamped by the insurance company.
    2. One of the following documents must be submitted along with the completed RMV-1 Form:
    • The previous owner's Certificate of Title
    OR
    The previous registration and a Bill of Sale, if no Title is required for the vehicle because of its age. In Massachusetts, a 1980 model year or older passenger vehicle purchased by the current owner prior to November 26, 1990 would be exempt from titling. Other states may exempt vehicles from their titling requirements based on the model year of the vehicle. If a Bill of Sale is being submitted, the document must list all required information. Additional documentation is required for imported foreign/grey market vehicles and specialty vehicles.
    3. Certificate of Title fee, due at time of submission of the RMV-1 Form. See the Title Fees section for the applicable fee