Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Impact wrench recommendations?

So the rear axle bolt on my Ducati is a bitch to get off.

I have the proper socket, but at R4 after having somebody stand on the rear brake and standing on my 19" breaker bar, I finally had to borrow an impact wrench to get it off (thanks, Pinned).

That isn't going to work if I need a quick wheel swap, so I'm reluctantly in the market.

The torque specs to get it on are 162 ft/lbs....I put it on at 150 ('cause that's as high as my torque wrench will go and it just happens to line up with a hole the retaining clip can go in) and it must be double that to get it off, but that's just a wild guess...

The most convenient would seem to be cordless, but a name-brand one (dewalt or Milwaukee) seems to be ~$250+ (because I don't have any other tools compatible with those power packs). El cheapo seems to be as low as $60. This is currently my only need for it so I'm tempted to ignore the "buy once, buy right" - but not if the thing doesn't produce it's advertised torque.

Between corded electric and air driven, air driven seems less expensive, but I don't have an air source at home (or even a proper garage) so outside of the LRRS garages I don't currently have a way to use an air driven one.

...so I guess I'm leaning towards a corded electric one, I imagine myself tripping over cords but then again, if I'm running warmers I should always have a power source at-hand
    ..although price is still a deterrent there as the name brands are ~$200

Thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Re: Impact wrench recommendations?

Oh, anticipating the question "why not get a bigger breaker bar or pipe" - I may do that but a) I'd like to make it a one man operation. B) I'm on the verge of needing to upgrade my rear brake if I don't go the impact route

Small detail - the socket for the rear axle is a 1/2" drive, if you have any reco's for that size

LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

I have Milwaukee 18volt cordless tools. They are awesome. My 1/2 cordless impact gun will take lugnuts off an MCI tour bus, these are torqued to 550 ft lbs.! Home Depot has a deal where if you spend $299 or more you get 6 months to pay it off with no interest.

Normal is an illusion, what is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

xxaarraa

I have an Ingersoll Rand 18V cordless, very happy with it. Precisely the same reason I got it too, the SSSA nut is torqued very high and I got tired of the whole stand on rear brake and breaker bar thing.

I've got Snap-On cordless and 1/2" pneumatic.
    I should have bought the Ingersol Rand, and I would have had money left in my pocket.

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

The Harbor Freight electric impact guns are supposed to be really good for the price...

$17 or so for a CH air fed unit from Tractor Supply, WITH the 3 year extended warranty when on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    $17 or so for a CH air fed unit from Tractor Supply, WITH the 3 year extended warranty when on sale.
    Are they any good? I have a $50 Craftsman 1/2" unit and it's rubbish. Unless the bolt/nut is 75 ft-lbs or less it doesn't do jack shit. And that's with a 3/8" air line and 120psi of pressure and a full tank...

I think it's rated for 250ft/lbs or so, I've used it on nuts that I can't bust with a breaker bar so it's done well by me.

xxaarraa

Ductard, the thing to keep in mind while using an impact on the SSSA axle nut - impact does tend to chew the edges of the nut over time. My stock nut did OK, but it was starting to get slightly rounded so I threw on a motowheels titanium nut and that seems to be deteriorating at a faster rate.

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    I have Milwaukee 18volt cordless tools. They are awesome. My 1/2 cordless impact gun will take lugnuts off an MCI tour bus, these are torqued to 550 ft lbs.! Home Depot has a deal where if you spend $299 or more you get 6 months to pay it off with no interest.
    I have 3-4 of the Milwaukee 12 volt (M12?) tools. I would probably get their M18 impact gun if i decide to go the high quality cordless route.

LRRS 919

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Ductard, the thing to keep in mind while using an impact on the SSSA axle nut - impact does tend to chew the edges of the nut over time. My stock nut did OK, but it was starting to get slightly rounded so I threw on a motowheels titanium nut and that seems to be deteriorating at a faster rate.
    Is that because of impact gun or more the quality/fit of your socket?

Not that I have a super - high quality socket....in fact it's tendency to tilt on the nut (when not under full load anyways) IMO is another reason to go with an impact gun instead of applying torque from 3 feet away....

LRRS 919

There are 2 versions of the Milwaukee gun at Home Depot. A base model and one with a brushless motor. Go brushless if you go. Also the new 18 volt charger will also charge m12 batteries.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    Is that because of impact gun or more the quality/fit of your socket?

Not that I have a super - high quality socket....in fact it's tendency to tilt on the nut (when not under full load anyways) IMO is another reason to go with an impact gun instead of applying torque from 3 feet away....
    It could quite well be the socket. Though my socket is a high quality 6 point impact socket (not just a regular socket). It's something gargantuan like a 46 or something, if I remember right, and I had to special order it, along with the adapter from 3/4 to 1/2 drive.

It could quite well be the socket. Though my socket is a high quality 6 point impact socket (not just a regular socket). It's something gargantuan like a 46 or something, if I remember right, and I had to special order it, along with the adapter from 3/4 to 1/2 drive.
    Wait.....6 point? Your SSSA doesn't have a funky 12 point nut on it?

I think all Ducs do, they require a special socket, ~$30 and up on Amazon.com

That 6 point socket could be your problem...

LRRS 919

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    Wait.....6 point? Your SSSA doesn't have a funky 12 point nut on it?

I think all Ducs do, they require a special socket, ~$30 and up on Amazon.com

That 6 point socket could be your problem...
    12 point axle nut?! Might be a pani thing, the 848 had a 6 point nut.

Here is my axle nut:

MW Billet 6 pt Rear Axle Nut: 748-998, 848, SF 848, MTS1000-1100, S2R-S4RS, M796-1100, Mhe, Hyper

Turns out it's not titanium. But that's what I got on there now.

12 point axle nut?! Might be a pani thing, the 848 had a 6 point nut.

Here is my axle nut:

MW Billet 6 pt Rear Axle Nut: 748-998, 848, SF 848, MTS1000-1100, S2R-S4RS, M796-1100, Mhe, Hyper

Turns out it's not titanium. But that's what I got on there now.
    A 6 point socket does grip better, on a 6 point nut.

But a 12 point socket on a 12 point nut (which is rare) is twice as many contact points.

Where you get less torque is a 12 point socket on a 6 point nut. It seems like that application's best selling point is to save lazy people 1/6 turn of a ratchet to get the socket seated.

From your link, here's what I'm talking about with 12 point nuts....although I'd recommend against billet aluminum, as you've experienced.....

MW Billet 12 Pt. Axle Nut: 748-998

LRRS 919

Can't sway me from my IR air tools, but I have a compressor here at work. I love my milwaukee cordless tools, but I don't have their 1/2" impact gun.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

I have the Craftsman C3 1/2" impact wrench. The new one with 300 ft/lbs. I haven't had something it can't take off yet. You're welcome to come check mine out and give it a go. I love it, don't even use my pneumatic gun anymore. The LED lights are incredibly handy. I bought some other C3 tools and the battery it comes with is awesome. I think I paid $150 a year ago for the kit but still a great deal IMO.

Craftsman.com

the thing about impact guns, is the less torque they have, the less useful they are

I own ONE snap on tool, and its my impact gun.

My Milwaukee 1/2 gun makes more torque than my Cummins! https://youtu.be/gZCtecwq5tc
    700 ft lbs.

Last edited by sedanman; 07-30-15 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Added info

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    The Harbor Freight electric impact guns are supposed to be really good for the price...
    I disagree. If we're talking the wired 1/2" drive one, it's total shit. It couldn't take the lugs off my FWD passenger car. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

I have a 1/2" drive Craftsman C3 system driver that works well assuming you load it up with a Li-ion battery, not the cheaper NiCad batteries they use to sell with that system.

Truth told, I'd buy a different driver (maybe Bosch?). Except I already have a bunch of C3 system tools. Having them share batteries and chargers is handy.

My family just bought me a Crapsman professional 1/2 pneumatic for Father's day to replace my old C&H that I've had for 25yrs. This thing has over 700ftlbs in reverse, took some lug nuts off and barely went into heavy impact doing it. Pretty impressive. I know the OP doesn't want pneumatic, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I disagree. If we're talking the wired 1/2" drive one, it's total shit. It couldn't take the lugs off my FWD passenger car. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.
    Hmm thanks. I was going to pick one up but I won't now! Appreciate the heads up..

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Well..at least HF is being true to their brand...

LRRS 919

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast