Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Lanesplitting

Re: Lanesplitting

Can't say that the Prius was in the right cutting him off like that either.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

That one was the biker's fault. Yes, the Prius wasn't supposed to be crossing that line, but he didn't make any sudden moves and was entirely predictable. He couldn't have telegraphed his intended stupidity more if he had a flagman with semaphores. Plus you should always presume that anyone driving a Prius is confused. The biker was going a little too fast, and not paying nearly enough attention.

In CA, an accident while lanesplitting is legally presumed to be the motorcyclist's fault unless you can prove otherwise. Like a rearender is; you hit someone from behind it's legally your fault unless you can show that the other guy changed lanes unsafely and then brake checked you, or something like that. In this case, since the Prius guy was making an illegal move, the biker might have a legal case for not being (entirely) at fault. In a practical sense, though, it is the rider who needs to be smarter than that rider was.

It is the motorcyclist's responsibility to split lanes only when safe, so it's the motorcyclist's fault if he chooses wrong, even if the other guy is being dumb. You've got to anticipate and expect dumb.

PhilB

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by PhilB; 05-17-16 at 09:28 AM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I compare lane splitting in California to crossing double yellows in Vermont, not illegal, but something you do at your own risk,if something happens, its your fault

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Bump. Why is lane splitting or even filtering still illegal in NH, arguably one of the most Libertarian states in the US?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Bump. Why is lane splitting or even filtering still illegal in NH, arguably one of the most Libertarian states in the US?
    https://q1057.com/watch-mayor-sugges...fkfSTX_hnrYb3w

Last edited by RandyO; 02-15-22 at 08:47 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

I'm looking to spend as little time abreast of twitchy idjits as possible, regardless of what I'm driving or riding. Still kinda wish it were legal though. Needs about a decade to burn into the public's brain, and better to start the clock earlier.

Last edited by feralchimp; 02-15-22 at 09:14 AM.
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    I'm looking to spend as little time abreast of twitchy idjits as possible, regardless of what I'm driving or riding. Still kinda wish it were legal though. Needs about a decade to burn into the public's brain, and better to start the clock earlier.
    There aren't many opportunities to split in NH, but filtering would be super helpful.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Should be legal everywhere IMO.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Lifer

And I think every rider that is opposed to it should spend a weekend riding in San Diego. I could not believe how natural it felt out there. Drivers fully expect you to split and filter. It just works.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Should be legal everywhere IMO.
    so should prostitution in bob houses and smoking weed

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

I've logged at least 30k miles of straight lane-splitting without incident. It encourages me to ride even more and not take my car. As the population increases, I would think it's the logical progression to allow lane-splitting.

One would think filtering is a very simple freedom that would easily pass through a Republican, arguably Libertarian-leaning government. Hell if California can allow it, why won't freedumb loving NH? Not even the "don't step on snek" southern states allow it and even aggressively ticket for it.

WTF?

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Anything goes under the guise of "safety".

NH is brutal on "extreme speeders" too. Lift a wheel and you're a danger to society, etc...

Not rational at all.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

One would think filtering is a very simple freedom that would easily pass through a Republican, arguably Libertarian-leaning government. Hell if California can allow it, why won't freedumb loving NH? Not even the "don't step on snek" southern states allow it and even aggressively ticket for it.

WTF?
    it probably hasn't been introduced, till it is law, be an anarchist, do you always stay to the right side of a double yellow ? and there's nothing wrong with smokin a dube and getting a bj while yer ice fishin, the point of those comparisons, is politicians can find something wrong with everything, the legislative committees are pressured hard by the law enforcement lobby. Is the NH legislature representative of the citizenry ? It's a volunteer job for all practical purpose, Salary is $100/year + mileage to drive to Concord. Although generally we have better access to our reps, there are 400, + 24 senators, It's hard not to know a few personally

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    it probably hasn't been introduced, till it is law, be an anarchist, do you always stay to the right side of a double yellow ? and there's nothing wrong with smokin a dube and getting a bj while yer ice fishin, the point of those comparisons, is politicians can find something wrong with everything, the legislative committees are pressured hard by the law enforcement lobby. Is the NH legislature representative of the citizenry ? It's a volunteer job for all practical purpose, Salary is $100/year + mileage to drive to Concord. Although generally we have better access to our reps, there are 400, + 24 senators, It's hard not to know a few personally
    I pass over double yellows on my bike all the time. That's one thing VT does right. It would just be nice if passing/splitting/filtering were legal in states that claim they're all about freedom.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I pass over double yellows on my bike all the time. That's one thing VT does right. It would just be nice if passing/splitting/filtering were legal in states that claim they're all about freedom.
    ya, VT does it right, but it's not about bikes, it's about getting traffic stuck behind a hay wagon, or in winter, maintaining momentum up a snowy hill, or at least that's what I was taught in drivers ed at a VT public HS, in actual practice

RandyO
    IBA#9560

rides bikes

The filtering/splitting nomenclature is confusing, but I agree that filtering sounds less aggressive and is what should be used when trying to persuade people it's a good idea.

I commute to Boston most days and usually via bike. I kind of cut my teeth riding in CA, so I'm very comfortable lane splitting. That said, I try to avoid splitting at any kind of speed just because drivers around here aren't looking for bikes, are often changing lanes, and our lanes are generally pretty narrow. Out west, bikes make up a much bigger portion of the population, so I think people are more aware. Plus, their roads are much wider and nicer. If I'm in 2+ lanes of traffic and it's moving at <10mph, I'm generally going for it. Just splitting to the front at a red light makes a difference, and it adds up. I've split past many cops who didn't seem to care. Once in a while some wannabe vigilante will try to block me from going. I usually just wait a second and go around them. I used to commute on 128 which is absolutely terrible. I started out lane splitting, but traffic would be moving at 20-30mph with people constantly changing lanes and I felt like I was cheating death to get to a job I hated anyway.

I see guys riding on shoulders and in breakdown lanes and in my opinion that's a pretty bad idea. I'll occasionally ride up the shoulder if it's super wide, say on an off ramp.

I've ridden the shoulder twice - once in VT, once in NH - due to traffic jams caused by accidents (and strangely both times were on the interstate). If it's >85F out, my bike will overheat sitting in traffic after 15min or so, so I just go for it. Never gotten blocked, but we did get some honks in NH.

Those are the instances where it would have been nice for filtering to have been legal. I don't really have any other option as the bike will overheat if I let it run, of if I continuously turn it off and keep restarting to creep forward a few inches it'll kill the battery.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Super-Dooper User ɹǝʍoןandɹǝʍoן's Avatar

I’m sure it will fizzle up to the top sooner or later, late last year the front window tint law for cages was redone to allow front window tint now in NH. Nobody noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

current: 06 zx6r, 03 450exc
    sold: 01 gsxr750, 01 RC51, 96 cr500, 98 superhawk, 00 sv650, 78 cb750, 98 dr350, 74 cb125

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123