Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

WTB: Inexpensive Dirtybike

WTB: Inexpensive Dirtybike

Looking for something to play at HVD with that weighs less than my WR. Something to get used to going faster and learn on, and not care if I drop, throw, thrash, etc. Still new so open to offers / suggestions. Willing to try a 2 stroke but probably better off on a 4 stroke, 250 or under (smaller than 250 if it's a 2 stroke is fine). Looking for the following:
    -Reliable, easy to have serviced, and get parts for.
    -Electric start is a plus, as I've never had a bike with just a kick start but willing to learn.
    -Don't want a beat to hell clapped out ex racer, if I need to wait and save more I will. Don't want to be buying someone else's problems.

-Not looking to spend a fortune, trying to keep it as close to 1000-1500 as possible, but willing to spend more for the right bike. I'm aware that with these kind of items you get what you pay for, and a thousand dollar bike may not have much life left.

Thanks for any help.
    -Bryan

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Re: WTB: Inexpensive Dirtybike

Not sure if it has sold or not but lots of people have started out on the KDX family and rave about them. Quite a few wish they never sold theirs.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...kdx-200-a.html

Just skip all that, buy a noice ktm and be done with it lol

Saw that ad, seen bikes that look to be newer and in bett shape for less cash. And I have no need for another overpriced dirtbike, I have the one I like, just want one to be a bit dumber on.

offer 8 hundo cash

YZ125 2stroke I need it gone by this weekend

I dunno...it's hard to say what you want if you think the wr is too much of a bike...the wr is supposed to be a great trail bike, so I'm not sure what else you want to do that it can't...crashing any dirt bike is going to happen...old or new.

I'm on a 250 2t right now, and thought learning on play bikes like an xr200 was easy to learn on because its lack of power/suspension/brakes were self-limiting in getting you into too much trouble

2001 Honda XR 200

way back when...

not good if you're a big guy though...pogo stick suspension...

Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-04-15 at 02:37 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

No title? In Mass, skip it.

I have an 2006 ktm125sx I guess I would sell, although I haven't advertised it and still ride it. I have another, newer dirt bike too, and only need one. The only reason I haven't advertised the ktm is that I'm not desperate for the money, it won't lose value quickly at this point, and I loathe craigslist drama.

But since you asked (LOL), it's in good shape, starts easily, and is registered as mass off road vehicle right now (NOT plated, not street legal, not titled, has the off road sticker, though). Set up for 180ish pound woods riding. New rear tire, fresh grips and oil change, and I just put a skid plate on it for woods. $1700 firm.

Lifer

I'm sold on the idea that 2-strokes really are more beatable and easier to maintain that most 4-strokes.

My attitude is that variety is the spice of life. When I went looking for something to slot in the garage below the 4-stroke DRZ400 I have, a smaller 2-stroke made a lot of sense. I'm loving it. Awesome in the woods. Fun to own. Mine was considerably higher than your budget, but I think the chassis and suspension make it worth it. YMMV.

I've also ridden an XR250R that was a crap-ton of fun.. if nearly impossible to keep upright.

Don't fear kick only. It's not that bad.

Anything besides a newer ktm that has the magic button is going to be as heavy as your wr.
    You want a woodsy two smoker, you just don't know it yet. Trust in Orange.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Serious Q for the crowd: What's the downsides to an older 125 or 250 cc 2-stroke "dirt bike". CR/RM125/250 or whatever. (I am quite ignorant re these.)

DIrt Bike Magazine | BEST USED BIKE EVER: SUZUKI RM250
    2003 Suzuki rm250
    2001 rm 250

Without a flywheel weight, jetting, a woods pipe, and suspensions valves, they're motocross bikes. Which means stiffly valves bikes with real peaky on/off power. They can be built into woodsy bikes, but it's cheaper to just buy a purpose built bike.

That 01 looks promising, but who knows...

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 08-04-15 at 10:12 AM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

FWIW a nice running riding KDX200 is well worth $1500+. They're super nice bikes and likely exactly what you're looking for, just don't know it yet.

Or pony up $10k for something new and orange.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Primary concern with older bikes is getting parts, and likely the bike you get will need some just due to age and use. Yamahas and KTMs are nice in that the engines tend to use the same base design for LONG swaths of time making for a big used parts market and easy access to new. Suzuki on some models liked to change everything every year... ask Breakdirt about trying to revive his RM125...

S
    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Serious Q for the crowd: What's the downsides to an older 125 or 250 cc 2-stroke "dirt bike". CR/RM125/250 or whatever. (I am quite ignorant re these.)

DIrt Bike Magazine | BEST USED BIKE EVER: SUZUKI RM250
    2003 Suzuki rm250
    2001 rm 250
    For "guys like us", I don't think there is one, besides the stuff chip mentioned (btw, the ktm has most of that)

Yeah so two strokes mx bikes...A bit less power than the corresponding 250f and 450f bikes you'd be racing against, if that were the goal. Easier starting, worse emissions, easier maintenance. Did I mention easier starting? I'm using my first ever 450f now, and that issue alone has me about ready to go back to a 2 stroke 250. Seriously. It's not the initial starting, it's the subsequent ones when I'm already tired and stall it or crash it.

For ANY type of used dirt bike, hours and maintenance are way more crucial than on a street or road racing track bike. Dirt bikes that are ridden often, and hard, just get loose in every area, and bearing replacements only get you so far. Luckily, plenty of reasonably priced older bike are out there that obviously don't have a lot of hours in them. I've seen bikes from 06 with original tires still on them, with life left...

As far as technology developments, they get arguably and minutely better every year, but the big 4 manufacturers had bikes developed pretty damn well all the way back in the mid 90s. Again, for our purposes and fun riding; not to win a freakin national mx or woods championship. Some Honda aficionados still think the '96 CR 250 R was the best ever. Long travel suspension with upside down forks and linked rear suspension, power valves, decent disk brakes were all already perfected.

My knee is still screwed from that tip over I had before the last round, on my 08 rmz450. You saw I listed my ktm 125sx for sale today. I might sell the RMZ too, and if I stick with the dirt bikes at all (starting to question the wisdom of that, but damn, I love it) get one 250 two stroke for both woods and moto. I'd be looking in that same range, 06 to 08, because of price to buy and availability/cost of parts. They are cheap enough that even though older bikes can suffice too, I don't think you save enough on the purchase to deal with parts issues and lower resale value.

Last edited by Imbeek; 08-04-15 at 10:27 AM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    FWIW a nice running riding KDX200 is well worth $1500+. They're super nice bikes and likely exactly what you're looking for, just don't know it yet.

Or pony up $10k for something new and orange.
    There is plenty of orange to be had for well under $10k. I know, I own such a thing.
    I'm just not sure there is much in the OP's budget.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    There is plenty of orange to be had for well under $10k. I know, I own such a thing.
    I'm just not sure there is much in the OP's budget.
    Yes, we can agree on that. But if your budget is $1500, $5-6k might as well be $10k.

Point was mostly that $1500 for a nice KDX is a win.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

And I wouldn't say a ye olde 250 smoker is necessarily going to be down on power compared to a modern 450 thumper...

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    ... ask Breakdirt about trying to revive his RM125...
    please don't

honestly - wtf - the case breaks (because of a design flaw from the factory) and I get the one friggen year in that generation of bike that older years cases didn't work (because the location of the water pump changed) and newer cases didn't work (because the angle of the piston in the cylinder is different)

wtf

@OP don't buy a '98 RM125!!

@OP #2 - for HVD only right? then you don't need a title if it never goes on the street

@ O #3 - @Kurlon's last comment is correct - I went on a street ride w' my '94 YZ250 against a guy on a KTM EXC340 and we were close in power (43hp vs. ~46hp)...Kurlon has a ported 265 so he might even be more than the 350

Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-04-15 at 10:32 AM.

Lifer

Once I got my head out of my ass and learned how to crack the throttle, my 200cc 2t kick-only starts if you look at it funny. 2-kicks max after I tip it over in the slop. And they are really easy kicks. I am in piss poor shape and I have to be on my 5th+ fall before I need to take a breather before starting the thing. (Yes, I'm this terrible.) The kick only XR250 I rode wasn't as easy. You need to know and follow the sequence. And I believe it will take more out of you.

E-start on a 4-stroke seems more important than a 2. Kick starters are easier to maintain that batteries. Lighter too.

Would you rather have a minty 250-450 4-stroke that may need service soon? Or a clapped out 200-300cc 2-stroke for half the money that probably will need that service?

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: OP, consider a 200-300cc 2-stroke. I'm glad I did.
    KDX sounds like it could be your bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    And I wouldn't say a ye olde 250 smoker is necessarily going to be down on power compared to a modern 450 thumper...
    Yeah, I haven't compared them on paper, to be honest...any of the modern 250r or 450f bikes will have plenty for old timers like us, and I can testify that an 82 rm250 2stroke I used to own probably had the most frightening hit of any bike I've ever ridden, including liter bikes (LOL). I nearly looped my neighbors 06cr450f by accident, a few weeks ago, as well.

But I think if the 2 strokes were making more usable power, you'd probably see more of them competing in mx nationals?

Just saw this on FB...

Well, there's one way to get your hands on a cheap dirty ride....for a couple hours, until the cops show up at your house...

...seriously, the Perp here doesn't sound like the brightest bulb....

WTB: Inexpensive Dirtybike-stolen-rm125-jpg

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

+1 for a KDX... i would also keep an eye peeled for a Husky CR/WR 125. with a 144 top end, they are fantastic little goats. stout motor, very easy to work on.

2001 KDX $1000
    2001 Kawasaki KDX 200

2004 CR125 $1200
    2004 husqvarna cr125

Beta 200RR

btw, i would run with $1000 cash to that KDX in PVD... looks very clean. you can't go wrong snapping up a well cared for KDX, they sell like hot cakes still. don't like it? flip it.

Beta 200RR

lol...that dude is like 10 years off...that is not a 2001...more like a 1991

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    But I think if the 2 strokes were making more usable power, you'd probably see more of them competing in mx nationals?
    No money to be had with a two stroke in MX currently. You'll see privateers make a go of it every now and then, but main teams are all rocking what the factories want to sell.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast