Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Central Mass Powersports #910 - Round 4

Central Mass Powersports #910 - Round 4

After a very disappointing performance at the Loudon Classic in June I had very simple goals for Round 5: finish my races and compete with the riders around me. During the down time between rounds I worked on my fitness and finished a project bike that is now serving as a training machine: my XR100R flat tracker.

Saturday
    GTO:
    This is a staple race for me. It’s always a physical challenge to go out and compete for 25 minutes. I got a decent start in the race and settled into a good rhythm pretty quickly. Water finds its level, this is particularly true in GTO. By the 15 minute mark, I had been passed by some faster riders, and I passed several slower riders. Unfortunately our race was cut short due to an accident and red flag with about 7 minutes remaining.
    Result: 13th

Middleweight Grand Prix:
    My first entry into the Loudon “Dash for the Cash” came and went with little fanfare. I was gridded all the way at the rear of the field and by the end of the race I was only able to improve a few positions.
    Result: 25th

Sunday
    Heavyweight Superbike:
    Tire choice. As it turns out, everyone got it wrong except for #213 Cole Hall. After a wet morning of practice basically every rider went out to grid on rain tires; after a couple of turns into our sighting lap, we all knew we had made a mistake. The race track was basically dry at that point so I committed myself to destroying a perfectly nice set of rain tires. After a decent start I made several passes to get myself into the top 10. I finished the race with no challenge from the rear and unable to advance any further. The real story of this race was Cole Hall starting from the amateur grid and passing the entire Expert field to finish first overall in the race. Completely unheard of, what a ride!
    Result: 8th

Middleweight Supersport
    This is always a fun race; big grid and highly competitive. I traded places with riders around me for most of the race but I was never really able to advance past my starting position.
    Result: 17th

Unlimited Superbike
    This is always an interesting race as we are combined with the Novice class. After a solid start I found myself just outside of the top 10 and trying to track down #278 Dave Hemstreet. About half way through the 2nd lap we started catching lapped traffic and that’s where things started getting sketchy. The speed differential between amateur riders and novices is a drastic difference and often times they can be somewhat unpredictable. Nonetheless, its always a fun challenge to pick your way through lapped traffic without getting held up. While I was running a good race, I decided to go for a hero move on the outside entering turn 11. I attempted to pass a pack of 6-8 riders moving quite slowly, and ran out of both room and talent to complete the pass. I ended up bailing on the turn, stood the bike up through the grass and onto the NASCAR oval. I waited for a safe place to reenter the racing line, and continued on. Unfortunately for me, that put me near the back of the amateur pack where I would ultimately finish the race.
    Result: 19th

Closing
    Although I didn’t really improve this weekend, I did actually finish all of my races this weekend and had lots of fun battles with the riders around me. I seem to have reached a plateau in terms of my lap times and performance and I need to find a way to break through. I’ve come to realize that racing once a month is not going to be enough seat time for me to progress much past where I am now, so I am committing myself to getting out on my dirt bike and the new flat track toy as much as possible.
    Huge thanks to Central Mass Powersports. It’s really great to have the support of a dealership behind you. Very much looking forward to the quick turn around and Round 5 of racing in August.

See ya! #910

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Re: Central Mass Powersports #910 - Round 4

Keep it up man. Lap times drops seem to come in waves.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I'm glad you had a better round 4 than round 3....so did I

See you out there next week!

Thanks fellas. Really is all about seat time on the dirty bikes between rounds. Experienced something interesting last round: front end slid going into turn 11. By all accounts it should have been an "oh shit" moment for me, but thanks to turning some laps on the flat track, felt pretty regular. Guess there's something to it after all.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Have you considered a FWD with snows?

Oh wait. Good shit man. Finishing the race should always be the primary goal.
    And relaxed environment riding such as flat track or TDs is great way to improve as a rider without the pressure of placing and lap times.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Have you considered a FWD with snows?
    CHRISTINI AWD 450SM - Christini Technologies, Inc.