Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

A place for my stupid newbie questions.

A place for my stupid newbie questions.

Figured this is as good a place as any. Doesn't have to be for questions from me, could be anyone newer to the dirty game. Got my new to me (previously ridden by everyone and their mom) bike today. Happy already but have some basic questions / concerns.

1. Brake and clutch lever look to be ASV products. They both have a nice feeling lever, but the action of the levers feel very sloppy. Is there a way to go about adjusting them or shimming them, or should I look into a replacement?
    2. Oil/fuel mix. Stopped at my local KTM dealer who told me 93 pump gas with 50:1 ratio. Going to be used as a trail bike, not sure if that matters. Sound right?
    3. Owners manual with the bike says 04, bike is supposedly an 05. Any way to tell using the serial number or any other way?
    4. Best cheap body panel/fender company or buy OE?
    5. Came with a spare tank, has a small ktm logo on the backside and the only numbers I can make out are kt 1090502, but has acerbis gas cap. Any way to figure out if this is larger than the stock one on it now?
    6. Chain comes close to the motor. Anyone making a case protector? Haven't found anything online yet.

Thanks it for tonight. Thanks to anyone for any help in advance.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: A place for my stupid newbie questions.

You can use the VIN to ID the bike : KTM Vin Number Identification Chart : AOMC Customer Support

Leave the body panels alone if you're new, they will be seeing dirt soon and often. Buy some duct tape and zipties unless having something pretty is important to you. Put the money in to handguards, and other protective equipment.

The action of the lever is sloppy, NOT that the lever wiggles up and down? If so, take the lever off and it'll usually reveal an adjuster. But if it wiggles up and down, then either the lever's pivot hole is worn, or the mounting point is spread open.

nedirtriders.com

1- don't worry about it
    2- yeah
    4- acrebis
    6- there is a clutch slave guard available

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Let the levers flop. Loose is fast. Or buy some MME levers. If I remember that bike had the pink double pivots to keep th from breaking, so just let it be.

50:1

Who cares??

I've had good luck with acerbis and polysport too.
    Actually I think acerbis is the oem plastic manufacturer for ktm.

Could be oem, see above. Which one looks bigger??

Definitely buy the slave guard. You don't want to spit a chain and break the salve in half. Don't ask me why...

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

The vast majority of Present day two stroke products run on 50:1. The advice I'd offer is to set aside a container and mark it, and put the oil in before you fill it.

I use a label maker and Mark the container and even the filler neck. "I know I'm paranoid but am I paranoid enough?"

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

I remember at the dirtwise camp.. Shane said dont even bother with the clutch for 80% of the time. Just mash up or down. They're designed for that.. totally threw me for a loop and I plan on using that strategy

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    I remember at the dirtwise camp.. Shane said dont even bother with the clutch for 80% of the time. Just mash up or down. They're designed for that.. totally threw me for a loop and I plan on using that strategy
    For shifting.
    With a 125 you'll (he'll)be doing plenty of feathering.

50:1, I use a 5g can, and generally either get 3 or 4 gallons at a time, so I can shake and mix it well.
    WEST MARINE Oil-to-Gas Mixture Measuring Bottle | West Marine
    This is what I use to get the ratio. ^^

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    50:1, I use a 5g can, and generally either get 3 or 4 gallons at a time, so I can shake and mix it well.
    +1 on waiting for plastics, but if you want them a full Acerbis kit can be had for about $125. Pretty short money to make it pretty again.

I use something similar, mine is a pitcher that has a scale for oil gas mix. Gives me quantity of oil for all different ratios depending on how much gas I want to use. Great tool.

Amazon.com: Kam-Tech Ratio Rite Premix Gas Fuel Oil Mixer Mixing 2-Stroke Measuring Cup With Lid: Kitchen & Dining

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudbeard; 08-14-15 at 08:51 AM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    My first few times out, I was doing too much shifting, in all the wrong spots, and a firm 4 finger death grip on the bars. So I don't think I shifted with the clutch once. After getting smoother, better on gear selection, and developing a habit of keeping at least a finger over the clutch lever, now I shift with the clutch all the time. I guess the point being, shouldn't most work towards having one finger on the clutch at all times? Especially a 125?

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    For shifting.
    With a 125 you'll (he'll)be doing plenty of feathering.

You really don't need to feather this bike much. With the porting, fww, and big bore it does really well.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    You really don't need to feather this bike much. With the porting, fww, and big bore it does really well.
    oh, sweet. didn't realize that bike had all that done to it ... what size is the motor? (miss my 'lil WR)

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    oh, sweet. didn't realize that bike had all that done to it ... what size is the motor? (miss my 'lil WR)
    136. And it has the 6 speed swapped into it which also helps. And a large rear sprocket haha.

Holy shit is this thing quick. I think I learned what it means when people say "on the pipe". This thing is 6 speeds of assanine. It's strange that you can ride it slow, but romp on it and it feels like it unweights itself up front and rockets forward. Wow. Oh, got it off road reg'd today too.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by bryco13; 08-14-15 at 03:34 PM.

It's spiritual.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Now you know what I meant by weapon haha.

Grabs checkbook and heads to KTM dealer...

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Grabs checkbook and heads to KTM dealer...
    Pick me up a 250xcf while you're there. Don't ask why, there's no rational answer.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I just want a 150.

So, another immature observation. Why would anyone on earth need a 250 2t? Being so loud and revving so high makes you feel like you're going a hundred miles an hour when your doing 25, but my brain (which I feel has been trained to react quickly), seems to be so overrun with stimuli that all I can do is hold on and smile like some kind of jackass. Are people buying them bigger 2 strokes for speed, or can they really use all the power ? And 500 2 strokes must be the dirtbike equivalent of a busa, right?

Yes to all

Paul_E_D

my 125/144/165 was awesome fun and plenty capable, but when you need more grunt and power, the 250 is pure magic. still revs out when you want it hyper and fast, but tractors so low it's unreal. the CR250R I had could tractor OK w/gearing and mods, but nothing like the Beta motor I have now.

glad you're having fun! we told you 2T was the way to go

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    So, another immature observation. Why would anyone on earth need a 250 2t? Being so loud and revving so high makes you feel like you're going a hundred miles an hour when your doing 25, but my brain (which I feel has been trained to react quickly), seems to be so overrun with stimuli that all I can do is hold on and smile like some kind of jackass. Are people buying them bigger 2 strokes for speed, or can they really use all the power ? And 500 2 strokes must be the dirtbike equivalent of a busa, right?
    Because a big bore smoker will lug, specifically the woodsy ones. Which allows you to mostly sneak around (fast) without making lots of noise. [edit: it also allows you to ride lazy ]. But when the terrain/trail allows you can let that thing sing and hang on. As I said, it's spiritual.
    A REALLY big bore smoker is like riding a jet engine with the throttle being the afterburner on/off switch. That's the simplest analogy I can make.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 08-14-15 at 03:53 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

The shifting is a bit different than my wr, which has a "thunk" you can hear and feel with each shift, this seems to shift easier, but without any noticeable noise, which has caused me to think I've shifted up when actually still in the same gear, which is a bit surprising when you let the clutch out quick and are on the throttle.
    Back to my original list. Plastics are out, as I see this being something that will be getting put on its side while I'm adjusting to it. The levers are ok in that they work, but they are "floppy" feel like everything is worn on them. Got a nice gas can, filled it with 93, and got some Motorex oil (for mixing and to replace the gear oil), and one of those sweet mixing cups. And buying a slave guard this weekend.
    Next question, anyone running a Rekluse exp 3.0?

skip the Rekluse and learn clutch control. put the cash towards suspension (if needed) and spare parts.

Beta 200RR

I had one. I wore it out after 2.5 seasons. I took it out and bought a z-start to replace it. In the meantime I also bought some Midwest mountain engineering levers (for pretty short $). As a result of the levers being so good, I haven't put the z-start in the bike.
    And I've been in and replaced the clutch, which would've been the opportune time.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast