Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Best tire for an R3?

Best tire for an R3?

My wife will be getting her yearly bonus from work. We're "investing" in a new R3 for some street/track use. Looking for the stickiest tires that don’t need to be heated prior to use. I'm not sure what comes stock. The suspension will be sent out for springs and valves over the winter.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Normal is an illusion, what is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

rides bikes

Re: Best tire for an R3?

When I was racing I used Bridgestone Battleax DOT tires on my Ninja 250. You definitely don't need to heat them, but a lot of us did. Not sure how different the R3 is, but most of us would run 120's front and rear, which is nice because you can take front takeoffs from the big guys.

Pilot Powers for the street and Lite TD's.....

Lifer

pirelli corsa if they come in your size.

We have the Pirelli track tires for this bike. Www.Gomtag. Com

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Tony, not quite to that level yet. Don't have trackstands, warmers, or a generator. Want to be able to dual purpose this bike for a bit. This is primarily my wife's bike though I hope to get some seat time.

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    Tony, not quite to that level yet. Don't have trackstands, warmers, or a generator. Want to be able to dual purpose this bike for a bit. This is primarily my wife's bike though I hope to get some seat time.
    I got the Diablo Rosso Corsas (and great prices) from TTD, it is a street/track day tire.

DIABLO ROSSO CORSA , Motorcycle Tyres - Car Tyres, Motorcycle Tyres, Truck Tyres, Motorsport tyres - PIRELLI INTERNATIONAL

Powers....and Motosport.com and a few others will have a good price too. Poss get them on a free shipping day ect...

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    We have the Pirelli track tires for this bike. Www.Gomtag. Com
    Do you guys read the guys Q or just saw I need Tires............... LOLOLOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Do you guys read the guys Q or just saw I need Tires............... LOLOLOLOL
    Looks like he did. OP asked for street/track tires, so Tony posted a street/track tire. It's not like he posted race DOTs and said "THESE'LL DO!"

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Ok, my bad. I thought. When Tony said "track tires" he meant full on, need to be heated tires. According to Pirelli , this tire isn't available in sizes to fit the R3 (I'll look at 120/150 combo) I will look at all of this more closely when I get to my pc. I struggle with smartphones.

Last edited by sedanman; 08-14-15 at 01:27 PM.

If Im reading several of your posts correctly, being newish to the track and all you don't want to try riding the bike in stock form first then make your changes from there?

Valid point. Even if it were only going to be a street bike, I'd do the suspension. I was totally out of tire at my last track day on the Beemer. I think I'd feel better knowing the tires weren't going to let me or my wife down.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    pirelli corsa if they come in your size.

I say the corsa because they are awesome street/track tires. I dont heat them and they stick like glue. They wear very good in the center as well. I bet a quarter of the guys out there run these tires. I tried alot of dual purpose tires before i found these and now its all i run on everything. The sides are so soft they stick good even when you first start riding and only get better. I tried a couple like the Azarro's that i had to get some heat into before they gripped. It was very unsettling testing the corners until i found out i was up to temp. Slide, slide, slide, ok grip.

Valid point. Even if it were only going to be a street bike, I'd do the suspension. I was totally out of tire at my last track day on the Beemer. I think I'd feel better knowing the tires weren't going to let me or my wife down.
    How were you running out of tire? Did you play with tire pressures? Do you believe a smaller bike will tax the tires in the same manner as your BMW?

The profile of the stock tires on my R1200RT is not the most conducive to extreme lean angles. I felt the rear of the bike sliding slightly. If l ride the touring bike any harder, l will crash. A more sport oriented tire on a bike that costs less to replace than a crash on my BMW would cost to fix sounds like a good idea. Everyone says that the stock suspension all of the 300 class bikes is bargain basement stuff chosen to hit a price point. If I'm going to have to upgrade that eventually, why not bite the bullet and do it right away? I'm trying to work a deal with the dealer to take the stock unused tires back which is part of the reason l want to upgrade the tires right away. Then there's the psychological aspect for my wife. If she has no reservations about the integrity of the bike she can concentrate on her riding. An extra thousand dollars is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Last edited by sedanman; 08-14-15 at 04:31 PM.

And after hearing all the recommendations for the Corsa's, they are the tires I'm going with.

Psychological aspect of over riding stock tires and suspension in 3 or 4 track days?

You do know there are folks here that have hit lap times well within the teens on completely stock hardware, right?

Curious how can one prepare for peace of mind when entering unchartered territory....

Just saying you should rethink the approach prior to shelling out that kind of money for peace of mind on a trackbike that you'll likely end up readjusting in order ride on the street.

Update: We're picking the bike up this Saturday. I called a few local dealers and everyone qupted $6,200 out the door with tax, prep and plates. Found a dealer in Troy NY who will do the same thing for $5,316 total, everything included. He didn't have any interest in swapping tires so it's going to its first trackday totally stock. Suspension and tires over the winter.

I've been racing and riding track days on the R3 since May. I've done a bunch of stuff to it and learned a lot. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Congrats to you and your wife on the new toy, have fun at the trackday!

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.