Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New V Strom XT or ???

Re: New V Strom XT or ???

I bought it about 3 weeks ago and then spent way too much on accessories. It's a wonderful machine. Yeah I could have had a used BMW but fuck it because this thing is awesome.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Just sooooo ugly.

How are you liking the electronics package? Is the TC business easy to live with?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Interested in Hearing about the Vstrom 1000, I was recently cross shopping the Super Tenere, Vstrom and Versys.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Just sooooo ugly.

How are you liking the electronics package? Is the TC business easy to live with?
    Styling is subjective. I happen to be fond of the styling, and I've gotten a few complements which are as follows: "Is that a BMW?"

The bike has about 520 miles on it, and unfortunately I can't speak to the effectiveness of the electronics off-road. However on the road I've been riding in mode 1 which is the least intrusive and gives you a little more power to play with. So far I've been unable to make TC activate on in any situation. ABS has activated a few times, usually when going over a bump on the brakes because it's tricked into thinking the wheel is no longer spinning when the front end gets very light. It activates very quickly and it's fairly imperceptible when it happens.

I have yet to be caught in the rain so I haven't used TC mode 2 yet, and I don't see much point in riding with TC off unless I'm going off-road and would like my wrist to be the only form of throttle control. I'll have to put some more miles on before that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by duganc1717 View Post
    Interested in Hearing about the Vstrom 1000, I was recently cross shopping the Super Tenere, Vstrom and Versys.
    I can't speak to the other bikes (ST or Versys) but I can tell you that you won't be disappointed with the Vstrom. Just go for the Adventure model right away so you don't have to spend another $2000 like I did making it equipped the way it should be from Suzuki. Although I really like the Givi panniers and SW motech accessories I've installed.

I'll do a quick overview of the bike and the good and bad, which there isn't much of. The engine has gobs of torque basically off idle to 6500 RPM. It'll rip your arms off and yes it will wheelie like a supermoto. It's pretty smooth for a big v twin but not as smooth at its 650 brother. The only thing I think it lacks is a top end rush that you'd find on a BMW XR or maybe the Kawi Versys. I think a freer flowing exhaust system and a good map frees up about 5-6 ponies up top though, which would help. That being said the useable or "real world" every day riding power band is perfect. Want to pass someone on the highway? Smash it in 6th gear and you're doing 85 in no time. The suspension is a huge high point for this thing. It has better front end feel than my old GSXR. You would never think you could push an adventure bike that hard through a turn but this thing lays over and sticks. Once you set the front end you could have a fiesta on the handlebars and it's staying put. The read suspension isn't as good but I have no complaints so far. The cool thing is that it has hydraulic adjustable preload which is easy to get to with the knob mounted near the shift side passenger peg. The brakes are a masterpiece. They're Tokico monoblock calipers and they have great initial bite and a ton of power with excellent feel. The transmission is nice and smooth and easy to shift. The hydraulic clutch has a long pull but it isn't stiff. It does grab right in the last 20% of the clutch throw which takes some getting used to

Seating position is good for me, and I'm 5'10". I could see how someone taller would want the tall seat. The only thing that sucks is the standard wind screen. I have it all the way in the low position because in any other position the buffeting is unbearable and it blocks all air flow to your helmet vents. There are aftermarket screens available and the stock one is adjustable which is nice.

Also I love the dash display along with the gear indicator. It shows two trip computers, avg mpg, current mpg, how many volts your charging system is outputting, TC mode, etc. it's a nice easy to read and use display.

Some things I wish the bike had were an ABS off mode, cruise control, and wire spoked wheels. If that were the case it would be a perfect motorcycle in my mind. But Suzuki has come pretty damn close as it is.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Save your pennies and dimes for an Elka or equivalent. Sounds like the 1k doesn't need front end help like the 650 does. But sounds like they both can use some help in the rear.
    The suspension on my DL650 is easily my favorite thing about the bike. It is so well setup that I have had a hard time justifying trading up to a newer/bigger/different bike.

Then don't.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Silence you.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Save your pennies and dimes for an Elka or equivalent. Sounds like the 1k doesn't need front end help like the 650 does. But sounds like they both can use some help in the rear.
    The suspension on my DL650 is easily my favorite thing about the bike. It is so well setup that I have had a hard time justifying trading up to a newer/bigger/different bike.
    I rode both and while the 650 is smaller and more nimble it was way too squishy with stock suspension. I really didn't feel like dealing with suspension work out of the box so I said I'll take the 1000. Plus one word "powaaaaaaahhhh". The 1000 had gobs more than the 650. With me and full luggage and the lady riding on the pillion, I think the 650 would have been a bit sluggish.

Nice write up, thanks for the info, sounds like a fun bike.
    My biggest issue with the Vstrom is it needs a larger gas tank, which is what the Super Tenere has.

My biggest issue with the Vstrom is it needs a larger gas tank, which is what the Super Tenere has.

to me, after owning a V-strom, the biggest issue is its weak ass charging system, 400 watts, by the time you power the bikes headlights and fuel pump as your major draws, then the littler draws, you only have 175watts at best for accessories like heated gear and running lights, it's easy to upgrade suspension and brakes, its not easy to improve the electric deficiencies, most other large adventure bikes give you 600-800 watt charging systems or a net of 500 or so available

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

How much range are you looking for? The V2 1000 has a range of around 270 miles when full.

So you are able to get 50.9mpg? 270 miles would be outstanding, just don't think that is possible.

So you are able to get 50.9mpg? 270 miles would be outstanding, just don't think that is possible.
    I got by what the dash is telling me. I thought it was 270 ish miles. The bike says I'm averaging in the mid to high 48mpg range as in 48.5-48.7. Many people have reported better. I have a skid plate and the bags which probably don't help.

108 lbs is a lot of fuel.

The old DL650 had a half gallon larger tank but I regularly rode 230 to as much as 300 miles on a tank.

Last edited by Garandman; 09-05-15 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
    I got by what the dash is telling me. I thought it was 270 ish miles. The bike says I'm averaging in the mid to high 48mpg range as in 48.5-48.7. Many people have reported better. I have a skid plate and the bags which probably don't help.
    Wow that is some awesome mileage, I would be content getting 250 miles out of a tank.
    I used to be able to ride my Fz1 to 42mpg, average was closer to 40mpg. Then I added a PC V, gutted the cat, Lar's mod to the airbox, blocked the AIS and my last tank only got 32mpg.

Wow that is some awesome mileage, I would be content getting 250 miles out of a tank.
    I used to be able to ride my Fz1 to 42mpg, average was closer to 40mpg. Then I added a PC V, gutted the cat, Lar's mod to the airbox, blocked the AIS and my last tank only got 32mpg.
    I'm not exactly sure how Suzuki has made this bike so fuel efficient but it's impressive. My bike is complete stock in the performance department. I'll be adding a Yoshimura slip on for sound and probably nothing more because the bike performs so well as it sits right now.

Lifer

Pipe should cut a few lbs too.

I have a friend who is claiming she is getting low 50's out a Super Tenere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12