Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

New to the site and already having trouble...Mechanic? North Shore?

New to the site and already having trouble...Mechanic? North Shore?

Hey everyone,

So after just joining the site, moving to MA, and getting good recommendations on inspection, I'm already having bike troubles...

I've got a 1984 Honda Interceptor. She was sitting in storage for over a month. I just replaced the fuse and she powers up fine . But now I can't get the engine to turn over...Last month when I was riding, the engine was purring until I would take the choke off all the way and I'd come to a stop sign. The bike would die and I'd have to start it up again.

I've only owned for about a year, and I used to have a good friend when I lived in michigan who worked on the bike for me..That said, I know very little about maintenance. I'm learning but it's a slow process. I don't like to admit it but at some point have to let go of my pride and ask for help.

Anyone have any recommendations for a shop/mechanic in the north shore area? Or a solution for the problem? I live in Hamilton and am having trouble finding a trustworthy place.

I PM'd TLRman and am hoping for a response, but I notice that he hasn't been on the site in quite a while..

Figured I'd take a shot and see if y'all had any suggestions...Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: New to the site and already having trouble...Mechanic? North Shore?

Is it possible the battery went limp on you? Does it sound like it tries to give a turn, or maybe the dash lights dim when you press the button? Any typical sounds of solenoid clicks? Or whole bunch of nothing?

You checked the red kill switch right (everyone's done it once).

Last edited by aldend123; 08-24-15 at 02:25 PM.
    nedirtriders.com

I took the battery to a shop and had it checked, they said it was fine. Previously the bike wouldn't come on at all, but once I changed the starter fuse I have power.

The first few times I tried to start it, it sounded like it was trying to give me a turn. But as I kept trying, it became weaker and weaker until I wasn't getting anything...

I did check the kill switch. Wish that was the case. I'm new...but not that new..

Given what you've described, I'd spring for a fresh battery. It also sounds like you need a carb clean, pilots at least based on the stalling issue.

Roger that. How big of a process is cleaning the carbs? Don't have a ton of tools but am willing to get my hands dirty

On most bikes, not that difficult. An 84 Honda V4... I'm too chicken shit to try for fear I'd never get the carb rack back in the intake boots.

Lifer

You can check the water levels in your battery, and make sure the connections are clean. But sure sounds battery, or battery-connection related.

The fuse you replaced, was it blown, or just questionable? Maybe a corroded contact issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmart View Post
    Roger that. How big of a process is cleaning the carbs? Don't have a ton of tools but am willing to get my hands dirty
    Not rocket science, but it'll probably take you a while your first time. Can usually be done with a basic set of tools. Careful with phillips screws, they're probably JIS, not actually phillips. You can usually get the job done without a JIS screwdriver as long as you are very careful and deliberate. Given how popular the VFR was, I bet you can find plenty of write-ups. Otherwise many carb cleaning tutorials on any similar sportbike of that era will look similar enough.

Put the boots in a pot of hot water to soften them up if they're stiff. I remember that being a pretty big pain in the ass on my Gpz. Really have to force them on.

Last edited by aldend123; 08-24-15 at 03:14 PM.
    nedirtriders.com

The fuse looked like this before I replaced it.New to the site and already having trouble...Mechanic? North Shore?-img_0858-jpeg

Maybe it's the battery after all, I just am hesitant since the guys at the local gas station checked it and said it was fine. Then again, they could be wrong. I'll look into a new battery.

I've also been looking for write-ups, but haven't been successful so far.

If anyone has a "Cleaning Carbs for Dummies" article, it'd sure come in handy..

Have an experienced person do the carb work or at least be in close proximity to offer guidance. Not a job for a first timer, IMO, especially since there are 4 of them and you will want to take the time to balance them after being serviced

Take it apart and take pictures with your phone as you go. Clean the gunk out of everything and reassemble.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

This may be a VERY stupid question, but I've gotta ask. Could I jump the bike from a car, then ride long enough to at least charge the battery a bit? Don't have another vehicle at the moment, so this has been limiting my mobility in a big way. Can't get it to a mechanic without having to pay someone to tow it, so I'm looking for some temporary measures in order to get it to someone with experience.

Or I could go your route golden chicken...but that seems daunting.

Just want to mention I brought the completely dead battery back to full and happy like with a Jr. battery tender in about 2 days.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Technically you should not jump the bike from a car.. especially if the car is running. However... I had a time when I needed to move my bike to a storage unit before a storm hit.. my battery tender was not enough juice to start it. I thought it was something else.. crank crank crank forever. I hooked it to the car and started the car, ran around trying to do stuff to clean up, turned the car off (but left the bike connected) And it cranked right up. My battery although tested at autozone came out fine. I gave up and bought a new one, and no problems after it.

I'd still hope your problem is really a dying battery and I'd just go buy one first... or try to get it going with a jumper pack.

Throw a battery in it and run some sea foam through the gas, you might get lucky and have that be enough to clean the jets out.

I know all too well what it's like to only have an old motorcyle for transportation, I spent 3 years riding my 81 Kz 750 all year except when the roads where snow covered, then I would have to find a ride.

Lifer

This may be a VERY stupid question, but I've gotta ask. Could I jump the bike from a car, then ride long enough to at least charge the battery a bit?
    Push it in neutral, jogging along side as fast as you can, hop on hollywood-style, and immediately stomp the shifter to first while cracking the throttle. Hold on tight. Even easier if you have a friend to help push, and a thousand times easier if you have a hill*

*If this doesn't work, the hill magically becomes 11 times steeper than you remember it.

nedirtriders.com

You can absolutely jump a bike from a not running car.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

12V is 12V. Doesn't matter if it's a wrist-watch battery*, a motorcycle battery, a car battery or a cruise ship battery. The starter motor will only draw as much current as it needs to; the capacity of the battery is irrelevant.

* Probably won't have enough amps to work, but oh well.

For the record, I find it easier to jump bikes when they're in 2nd gear.