Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Triumph 955i sounds in Boston traffic.

Re: Triumph 955i sounds in Boston traffic.

KingCast...

You need to get your bike plugged into TuneECU... found at TuneECU.com... it's free... buy a cable (on e-bay for 10 bucks) and get to tuning...

DO NOT load in a map that is NOT DESIGNED for your bike... Trips, Daytona's, Tigers, and Sprints all ran different combos of cams, ECU's and other little tid-bits that make them very model specific.

A map is NOT you're issue...

You need to increase your Long Term Fuel Trim... you are running MUCH too lean.
    Also, decreasing you're Idle Air Control Valve trim will help get your idle smoothed out.

Have fun.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Life is a tour, not a race... just stay out of my way when I'm touring!"

Thanks I didn't realize it was now available for free too!

So in addition to the small leak I think I know what else is the problem, the map for the ST and S3 are probably different. Remember this is an '04 S3 engine. And then there is a trick of increasing FPR pressure as well, all of which I had planned to get around to. Now sooner than later.

I'm on it today.... and LTFT = set CO, correct?

Update: Tightened exhaust removed leak 100% still crackles, Tom at Riverside said with a can like that it will happen more and that if it is not surging at steady load (it isn't) that it's not too lean to worry about.

He also said the factory and EPA will not let him do it on a post '02.

If anyone has a garage with the proper tools for this I'll gladly buy a nice dinner and beverages.

fredsprint
    Minitwins
    Favourite Bike: sprint st

Other Motorcycle: 650NTV,850TDM,VTR,K12RS
    On a pre 2002 engine (w/o O2 sensor) your are supposed to adjust the co (idle fuel trim) w/ a gas analyser plugged in the exhaust.

On a post 2002 you rely on the O2 sensor voltage to adjust (if needed) the long term fuel trim. It must flip flop between 0 and 0.9 Volts at idle.

Fred
    Also checking the VIN from the donor engine to see which map I need, I see they have recently updated

Last edited by KingCast 650R; 04-06-11 at 09:28 AM.

I was just reading the TriumphRat forum today and lots of people have had luck controlling their 955 decel "popping" by blocking off the SAI under the tank. I think I'm going to try this.

http://www.triumphtorque.com/message...ead/38750.aspx

That said, your bike "gurggles" unlike any other 955i I've heard. Does not sound like a healthy heartbeat to me.

Quote Originally Posted by KingCast 650R View Post
    Burbles..... I'm not certain how to rectify this situation, I'll just do my best to try to ride them out of the system LOL. The bike sounds not unlike a '73 911S with Webers..... actually it sounds JUST LIKE a '73 911S with Webers, I know my friend had a '67 911S with Webers, same deal.

Headed down now to see if I can find the owner of the S3 that appears in the video.

YouTube - Triumph 955i has bad case of the burbles pt 1
    Holy shit thats 1.25 minutes ill never get back

Part time expert,part time hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    I was just reading the TriumphRat forum today and lots of people have had luck controlling their 955 decel "popping" by blocking off the SAI under the tank. I think I'm going to try this.

http://www.triumphtorque.com/message...ead/38750.aspx

That said, your bike "gurggles" unlike any other 955i I've heard. Does not sound like a healthy heartbeat to me.
    I read that the issue is multiplied or more pronounced with an upswept race can which is basically what I've got in the Powermax. Tom listened to it for 3 minutes today over at Riverside (he's the resident Triumph guy owns the exact same engine and god knows "I've listened to hundreds of these and yours sounds within range) up and down the rev range and said he wouldn't worry about it, just get the valve adj. and TB balance before too long, which I will. Sucks that the old engine had just had all of that 2K miles before I bought it.

Hint: Second Wind price quote is much less than Boston's I can ride up to Nashua, get a hotel and ride back and still be $200 ahead

Last edited by KingCast 650R; 04-06-11 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roadracer685 View Post
    Holy shit thats 1.25 minutes ill never get back
    Not to mention the :20 it took you to type that

Quote Originally Posted by Danny500 View Post
    KingCast...

You need to get your bike plugged into TuneECU... found at TuneECU.com... it's free... buy a cable (on e-bay for 10 bucks)

Also, decreasing you're Idle Air Control Valve trim will help get your idle smoothed out.

Have fun.
    Oh I get it TBoy err.... Tune ECU does the maps as well as the fuel trims?
    Traveling now will order cable today found the VIN for the donor bike!

Cable ordered.

Last edited by KingCast 650R; 04-07-11 at 02:27 PM.

KingCast...

You need to get your bike plugged into TuneECU... found at TuneECU.com... it's free... buy a cable (on e-bay for 10 bucks) and get to tuning...

DO NOT load in a map that is NOT DESIGNED for your bike... Trips, Daytona's, Tigers, and Sprints all ran different combos of cams, ECU's and other little tid-bits that make them very model specific.

Have fun.
    Danny im still going ahead with diagnostics but its the same bike you heard 3 weeks ago very strange....

[QUOTE=Danny500;1024764.

Again, great job... the bike sounds amazing, and it must be a THRILL to have a comfy touring bike with some serious HP in it now!![/QUOTE]

Will be interesting to get to the bottom of this.
    C

Did you check all of the exhaust? From experience, a loose mount at the head can draw air into the pipe, causing popping on deceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by zimquidl View Post
    Did you check all of the exhaust? From experience, a loose mount at the head can draw air into the pipe, causing popping on deceleration.
    Too funny great minds think alike and so do ours apparently

Just got in -- All day long in CT I was remembering when the 650R sounded odd and I had to tighten at the head (BTW it is a very cool sound to that bike when it's set up proprely) so when I got home I checked and found several turns on 3 out of 6 none on 2 and a little on the 6th. Also found I had lost my long extension so had to go buy one of those, ahem.

Anyway, the resule: Night and Day.

Still going to play with different tunes and check diagnostics and eventually do the valve and TB thing but I would be highly surprised to find any of that out of whack. So that part of the video where I ask about valves it wasn't valves it was little bit of air and it doesn't seem to have burned any valves or anything -- it was loosening over time and I had prolly 200 miles on her since the engine swap so it should be All Good.

Now on to tyres and a new jacket, got a great full back protector and short gauntlet gloves brand new from my business partner turns out he had raced a '94 FZR years ago and has tons of stuff for me, nice. Alas the tank bag is magnetic, the Trumpet is so top heavy I assumed the tank was steel LOL. It would REALLY be top heavy then.

The protector is so good for posture it's insane.

Last edited by KingCast 650R; 04-07-11 at 11:36 PM.

Goddamn it... I just typed a huge thing and it deleted... grrrr....

KingCast...

LTFT: Long term fuel trim, think of this like a main jet in a carburetor.. it affects all maps (A/F 1, A/F 2, Idle/Warmup, etc). 99.9% this is what's causing your popping.

IACV: Idle Air Control Valve controls the air/fuel mix at idle. This is also called a stepper motor... basically if your idle wanders, or it takes too long to settle to idle, or it dips below idle when dropping revs, this can help rectify that.

IFT(CO): Idle fuel trim controls just that... makes for a nice smooth idle and if you're not careful can turn your throttle into an on/off switch... it basically ensures that if you crack the throttle from 0, you'll have no hesitation. This is more like a pilot screw in a carburetor.

---------

Read EVERYTHING on TuneECU.com over and over and over again... the newest version 1.8.8 or 1.8.9 may not allow you to modify LTFT... i have an older version that will... 1.6.6, e-mail me if you'd like to play around with it before you get your cable: supermandan03 at yahoo dot com.

Here's the rundown of what you have to do.

Do the 12 minute re-tune.

THE BIKE MUST BE COLD... so do this on a morning after she's cooled down for at least 12 hours.

-Start motorcycle, DO NOT TOUCH THROTTLE.
    -Wait until fan kicks on, START STOP WATCH.
    -At exactly 12 minutes, TURN BIKE OFF BY KEY.
    -Wait 30 seconds.

This will wipe all existing sensor values from the ECU... O2 sensor, Baro sensor, everything. (This is a good thing.)

Now you're good to start playing with ECU.

1. Remove headlight fuses.
    2. Charge battery 100%, keep on charger during procedure.
    3. Connect cable to computer, cable to bike, turn key and kill switch "on" run TuneECU, do not start bike.
    4. Once you get a green blinking block in the lower right-hand corner, Click "Read Map" under "ECU". This will take 40-50 seconds.
    5. You are now looking at your current map settings... Save this data as xxxxxxmap_STOCK.hex (the x's will be specific to the map, add stock so you don't confuse it with another map).
    6. Go to "Test" tab, click "Reset TPS", once it's reset (it will say down the bottom) turn the key off. Wait 30 seconds, turn the key back on, start bike. TuneECU will reconnect automatically.
    7. Go back into the "test" tab...

Set LTFT: 4.3-4.7
    Set IACV: -12
    Set IFT(CO): 0.0

The bike should sound funny... maybe not... idle may or may not be affected right away. However, the LTFT being set this high should allow the bike to remain running.

Now here's the nitty-gritty fun stuff where you'll make things better.

- IACV first.
    Blip the throttle 1/4 turn (up to about 3-5k rpm), if needle drops below idle, then comes back up, decrease the number to -13 and try again... if the needle takes a long time to return to idle, increase the number to -11 and try again... do this 1 number at a time until your revs drop straight to idle nice and smooth.

-LTFT:
    Now that your stepper motor is playing nicely give a good healthy crack on the throttle, quickly... I'm talking 1200rpm to 9k... does it pop going up and coming down? If so, increase the number to 4.9... smoother? still popping? 5.2... Smoother now? You shouldn't have to go much over 5 to get it to run smooth.

-Lastly, IFT(CO)
    Now that your stepper is good to go, and your AF is slightly richer, you'll want the throttle to play nice... Give the throttle a crack and see if there is any lag going up... this is kind of a fine tune, so you may want to spend a little time blipping the throttle, listening to the idle, and reading where the idle is sitting...

When all is said and done.... RESET TPS one more time, turn off bike with the key... wait a minute or so... disconnect all your cables, shut down TuneECU (all values have saved to the bike in real-time... there is no need to save them)...

Put your fuses back in... put your seat back on... and go for a ride.

I betcha you'll kiss her right between those big, beautiful headlights.

Last edited by AimlessMoto; 04-08-11 at 01:49 AM.

OH... and by the way... after I went through all of this and went for a ride on the highway, I thought the 'burbles' came back... turns out, it was simply wind buffetting off my helmet.

So, duck your head behind the wind screen on that thing to get a good ear on the motor/exhaust.

I can definitely hear the popping on deceleration, but your acceleration sounds almost too throaty... the 955i is a very crisp, almost raspy sounding... yours sounds as though it's got an air-box modification somewhere... (I hope not... because even a K&N filter will cause issues with tuning... they let WAAAY too much air in.)

Might want to ensure there's a stock Triumph air-filter in there too.

OH... and by the way... after I went through all of this and went for a ride on the highway, I thought the 'burbles' came back... turns out, it was simply wind buffetting off my helmet.

So, duck your head behind the wind screen on that thing to get a good ear on the motor/exhaust.

I can definitely hear the popping on deceleration, but your acceleration sounds almost too throaty... the 955i is a very crisp, almost raspy sounding... yours sounds as though it's got an air-box modification somewhere... (I hope not... because even a K&N filter will cause issues with tuning... they let WAAAY too much air in.)

Might want to ensure there's a stock Triumph air-filter in there too.
    Thank you thank you thank you!

So it's the retune and just leave the maps out of the equation for now.

I'll be at it soon, cable should be in on Monday or Tuesday.

Also will do a quick record today in a few and post it, but yes it did sound too throaty and I have read that K&N let's too much air in I will ask my mechanic what filter he saw when he put the engine in, unfortunately I was out of town when that was done.

Now there is still popping on decel but it is not as bad and the bike is now VERY responsive, as it was when I got her.

Last edited by KingCast 650R; 04-08-11 at 08:04 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12