Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Back into it

Back into it

Hi all,

Returning to motorcycling after a 9-year break. Very much looking forward to it.

A friend directed me here as a good source of shared wisdom, and I have a lot of questions that I suspect are like the information version of white noise to you vets: stuff I wonder about that you just know intrinsically. Hope these questions aren't too nerdy...

*What does "CE rated" mean with regards to protective gear? In my previous riding incarnation I didn't have anyone to mentor me and so I was one of those guys riding in a helmet, gloves, T shirt & jeans. Now I'm 41 and have a keen sense of my own mortality, and find myself willing (eager, actually) to invest in protective gear. Is there a way to tell what's worth looking at v. what's made for fashion?

*I've been an avid cyclist (the other kind) for years, and become accustomed to looking up local road or mountain bike clubs to find stored "cue" sheets of worthwhile rides. For instance, in Boston the Charles River Wheelmen have a section of their website (crw.org) that details the best local rides, with directions, landmarks, and the best places to re-fuel. Is there a similar thing for motorcylists? Kind of a "Greatest Hits" thread for awesome rides?

A weird bike etiquette question: when you pull into a parking lot and see a motorcycle in a parking space designed for a car and don't know the bike's owner, is it OK to share the spot or is that geting a little too familiar?

Oh man, I sound like a dork even to myself. Be kind, please...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Back into it

Welcome, dork.

CE is a European safety standard. Some say it's a shit standard, others disagree. I feel that some kind of standard is better than none.

Cortech (TourMaster) is generally accepted as "decent" gear. Steer clear of the Joe Rocket textile...so I hear (from EMT's)

There is a site dedicated to the "Best of the best" roads in certain areas but you'll have to search for it on the web. Maybe someone here might know the site I refer to.

If there's room in a parking space to put another bike into in addition to a bike that might already exist, I'll park there leaving enough "comfort" room for the other owner.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Welcome back. I know where you're coming from. I took 9 years off myself and hated every spring until I got my present bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by SixWatt View Post
    What does "CE rated" mean with regards to protective gear?
    The CE marking (also known as CE mark) is a mandatory conformity mark on many products placed on the single market in the European Economic Area (EEA). The CE marking certifies that a product has met EU health, safety, and environmental requirements, which ensure consumer safety. See the Wiki: CE mark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is there a way to tell what's worth looking at v. what's made for fashion?
    Usually price is a dictation. You get what you pay for. However, you can get some great deals on decent gear.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Welcome to the fun.

I can't answer anything being the superest of noobs here - but I like the questions & look forward to reading the answers

96 Suzuki GSX600F

If you can't be kind, be vague...

Quote Originally Posted by Wrynne View Post
    Welcome to the fun.

I can't answer anything being the superest of noobs here - but I like the questions & look forward to reading the answers
    Yes you can I just Googled CE armor and got the wiki site.

I knew what it was, but wiki has better wording than I could have mentioned.

|

Welcome!

I tooks a 13 yr hiatus from riding, so I can relate.

Nice to know you're moving in the anti-squid direction. I want to. It's just hard when I'm dressed for a meeting and it's only a few blocks away...

The sharing of a parking spot by a stranger is actually one of my pet peeves. Although, it never ceases to be a big, stupid harley slammed in next to me. ugh!! (Sorry.)

Oh and gentle, I don't think they know that here. Be afraid -- they bite.

Quote Originally Posted by schmuhl View Post

|

Welcome back to the sport. You seem to have the right attitude to survive here. Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    Cortech (TourMaster) is generally accepted as "decent" gear. Steer clear of the Joe Rocket textile...so I hear (from EMT's)
    I went down going 65 in my joe rocket alter ego pants and jacket and could not be any happier with how they performed. I got up unscathed after sliding over 100ft on a highway, all I got was 7 stitches on my hip where I was exposed because my pants were a little bigger then they should have been. I didn't even have bruises in the places you would expect (back,elbows, knees). I say ride with what your comfortable in and feel protected in at the same time.

Oh yeah and Welcome !

Welcome To The Site..

2003 GSXR 1000 Silver
    D&D Race Exhaust, Targa Rear Spools, Vortex Frame Sliders, Diamond Powersports Lowering Link, Custom Fender Eliminator and Flush Mounts

Welcome to the boards and welcome back to the addiction

Banned

Hi all,

Returning to motorcycling after a 9-year break. Very much looking forward to it.

A friend directed me here as a good source of shared wisdom, and I have a lot of questions that I suspect are like the information version of white noise to you vets: stuff I wonder about that you just know intrinsically. Hope these questions aren't too nerdy...

*What does "CE rated" mean with regards to protective gear? In my previous riding incarnation I didn't have anyone to mentor me and so I was one of those guys riding in a helmet, gloves, T shirt & jeans. Now I'm 41 and have a keen sense of my own mortality, and find myself willing (eager, actually) to invest in protective gear. Is there a way to tell what's worth looking at v. what's made for fashion?

*I've been an avid cyclist (the other kind) for years, and become accustomed to looking up local road or mountain bike clubs to find stored "cue" sheets of worthwhile rides. For instance, in Boston the Charles River Wheelmen have a section of their website (crw.org) that details the best local rides, with directions, landmarks, and the best places to re-fuel. Is there a similar thing for motorcylists? Kind of a "Greatest Hits" thread for awesome rides?

A weird bike etiquette question: when you pull into a parking lot and see a motorcycle in a parking space designed for a car and don't know the bike's owner, is it OK to share the spot or is that geting a little too familiar?

Oh man, I sound like a dork even to myself. Be kind, please...
    if you don't mind spending good money for the right gear, take a short trip west on rt 2 to motomarket in acton. They have all the best gear, knowledgeable sales staff and everything they sell is top quality, from socks to helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    if you don't mind spending good money for the right gear, take a short trip west on rt 2 to motomarket in acton. They have all the best gear, knowledgeable sales staff and everything they sell is top quality, from socks to helmets.
    Thanks!

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schmuhl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 97BladeRider View Post

Welcome to NESR.

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Hey... another old guy in metrowest. What town?

There's lots of good gear out there at different price points.

I'm a big fan of Rev'It, but it's not the cheapest stuff out there.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    Hey... another old guy in metrowest. What town?

There's lots of good gear out there at different price points.

I'm a big fan of Rev'It, but it's not the cheapest stuff out there.
    Beautiful Hudson MA, home of the Horseshoe Pub!