Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

new ( old) rider from southern NH

new ( old) rider from southern NH

Well, just found this forum.

Just bought a bike, and sent in my registration for the beginner rider motorcycle safety classes run by the NH DMV.

I haven't ridden a bike for about 35 years - so it's going to be an interesting "re"-learning experience.

Although everyone says get something in the 400 to 750cc range, an article I read , in addition to actually sitting on some larger Bikes ( a BMW R-80 ), I decided to go for a 205cc "cruiser" style to relearn on.

I just bought a used ( 3000 miles) 2005 Hyosung Aguila GT250 cruiser and will be having it delivered later this week. Although some friends who ride have told me that they feel like Giants on these 250cc "midget" bikes, it sure felt like a fairly large bike to me !! I'm about 5'8, 180 pounds, and "not so young " anymore so it will be interesting to see how long I stay satisfied with this Hyosung bike, 250cc. I'm looking forward to learning on it and starting to ride..!!

Any advice on stores/business in the southern NH- Nashua area to find Helmets, gloves, etc, riding gear would be appreciated..

Thanks All..

LT

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: new ( old) rider from southern NH

Congratulations on your re-entry into the world of motorcycling!

Having grown up in Amherst and living in Merrimack for several years I can recommend the following shops:
    1. RJ's - Nice people, fairly knowledgeable staff, full retail prices - good in a pinch
    2. Souhegan Valley Motorsports (off Route 13 in Milford across form Chappel Tractor) - Great guys, knowledgeable (both race) and willing to spend time with you. Pricing they will work with you.

AVOID:
    BEST CYCLE - They are total meatheads. Their parts department is run by a 400 lbs ape ....he's a complete jerk who makes you feel like you are doing HIM a service by giving them business.
    I bought a bike from them and my salesman had never even ridden on one.Sorry for the rant.

I'm sure others will chime in about other shops.

I purchased my Shoei helmet from RJ's and was very happy with the service that they provide(d)

Check out the Lowell bike night tonight --- you can talk to some folks first hand

Quote Originally Posted by KillBill View Post
    AVOID:
    BEST CYCLE - They are total meatheads. Their parts department is run by a 400 lbs ape ....he's a complete jerk who makes you feel like you are doing HIM a service by giving them business.
    I bought a bike from them and my salesman had never even ridden on one.Sorry for the rant.
    Thats were I got my bike. I thought they were pretty cool. I think I know the salesman you are refering too. Is he really short?

Is that the guy with the old balls?

Support the Troops! (Except for Mondo, that guy's a dick)
    -----------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by tom3040 View Post
    Thats were I got my bike. I thought they were pretty cool. I think I know the salesman you are refering too. Is he really short?
    He probably isn't there anymore knowing their rate of employee turnover.
    I'm glad you had a better experience than i did.

He probably isn't there anymore knowing their rate of employee turnover.
    I'm glad you had a better experience than i did.
    Ya they were pretty cool to me and gave me a great deal. I know what you mean though about the big guy behind the counter, he could be a little more pleasent IMO.

Welcome to the forum.

AVOID:
    Got my bike there too. I e-mailed the manager before they even had 2006 bikes asking if he'd match an internet price I had received as a pre-order. He said, "no, I can't come close to that price" which I assumed." So I asked him where he would come in at and it was $1000 above my internet pre-order. Turned out once the bikes did start arriving in NE that his price was pretty damn good compared to other dealers around. I went in looking for him to buy the bike and had to do the typical, "bubye Salesman" and "bubye Manager-of-the-day" until I finally got to talk to the "real" Manager. He denied talking to me earlier in the spring. So, I went home, printed out his e-mail responses and brought them back. He honored the price but wasn't happy about it. So, after "Bubye Finance Manager" and "bubye Extended Warranty salesman" I got out the door for a decent price.

The parts guy, ugh ... I'd rather go to RJ's and have them order my parts.

Quote Originally Posted by tom3040 View Post
    Ya they were pretty cool to me and gave me a great deal. I know what you mean though about the big guy behind the counter, he could be a little more pleasent IMO.

howdy!

Riding slow bikes slower. Wanderer's Avatar

+1 on RJ's - nice folks, and also would speak up for Second Wind BMW - nice gear, BMW and Rev'it mainly - $$, but very good stuff.

I go and pet the pretty triumphs in their other showroom while I get my ugly yeller beast fixed

The people over at riverside have been real cool with me, even when I was going to get parts at bikebandit, they matched all the prices for me.

and if you know what kind of gear you want, everyone should check out
    www.sandhillpowersports.com, they have some great prices on their one and two piece suits, or just a jacket. Even people who thought they found cheap in other places were amazed.

as I say this, they are running a free upgrade to 2nd day air now too.

welcome new old guy.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Welcome. Another big +1 on RJs. they are great to work with, and will help you out a lot as a new-again rider. Things have changed in 35 years, I can imagine.

If you find yourself wanting to head north, Freedom Cycle is a good place in Concord.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.