Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carolinas to the Green Mtn's

Carolinas to the Green Mtn's

I've finally got most my bikes up here. Moved up to Brattleboro, VT. Holy Hippie culture shock!?

I was a former Moderator on NCSPORTBIKES.COM. So I love supporting "the sickness of two wheel obsession"

Would love to get out and ride with some locals, to find even more twisties, dual sport trails or a stretch of 1-2 miles where you don't meet a local LEO that wants to save the world from the "two wheeled scourge"? What's up with all these little towns and their zealous Barnie Fifes?

I love big rides too, on the Concours14. Wife and I are meeting up with Aprilia group at the Indy MotoGP again, ride to it every year. Anyone riding to it this year?

Loving the elevation changes and getting to have cool morning and evenings in the summer up here.

I haven't gotten the Triumph 675 off to any of the tracks yet. Spoiled a bit coming from VIR, Barber and CMP. Really mixed reviews on Loudon, and that's my closest, then the rest look to be 4-8hr hauls.

Would love to mix it up on minimotards again, can't find any groups regularly doing kart tracks or parking lots? Anyone interested? It's stupid fun and keeps you nasty for the track.

Love doing dual sport stuff too. Looking at picking up a bigger Adv. Tour soon with all these great trails. Trails, that up here, lack those shotgun armed toothless Carolinian pot farmers. Currently have a DRZ400 up here. My all dirt stuff is still in Carolinas.

So greetings and all that...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Carolinas to the Green Mtn's

Come on up to Bike Night every tuesday at Donny's Pizza in Winooski. We are also having a motorcycle show July 31st.

I know of a Karting track in Barre.. (I have a mini motard)

Mixed reviews of NHMS huh? Let's hear em.

Welcome to the State and the forum.

Last edited by R7; 07-15-10 at 03:19 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Tougher than a lion Sportygurl131's Avatar

loudon is fun, boston moto ran a great track day

we do alot of rides here keep your eye open for post ups

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoto
    Subaru love is so sweet.
    qoute from a fellow nesrian

You crazy bitch!!

2003 sv650s copper!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Sportygurl is probably your best bet for meeting and making new friends, she is like the social director or ambassador or something for NESR.

Thanks for the welcome.

Glad to find an active group again.

Loudon "pro's", usually small club type feel, lay back approach by most groups.

Con's are the fencing (do they still have that SBK cancelling armor railing there for cars?), gets crowded (guess that's the group or organization running it) just heard it's a "rough" track with car focus. I could be way off, youtubes make it look skeevey in sections.

I've got track budds that love Boston Moto/Tony's, no experience with them. I've run mostly NESBA. Of all I actually had the most fun with USDESMO. Got to do Aaron Stephensons cornerspeed and cornerspin, who woulda thunk that after riding for so long, on so many different styles, I had SO MUCH TO LEARN .....STILL.

Stupid lil' cornerspin on 10hp dual sports made me change so much about my thinking, balance, riding of all styles. I credit it for saving my 675 from a high side in T7 VIR north course. Always thought of myself as a rider that "practiced" regularly, now I do it all different and MORE!

I should be able to make a Winooski meet. Google maps says 154miles, that's an hour on the Connie, VT HP support your event right? Just a warning for low fly by's on 91-89?

I heard about some beautiful track up north of Montreal, mont trimblant?. You Burly Boys get to that at all?

2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200ST
    CanAm Spyer RSS SE5 (Wifey's)
    DRZ400S
    Pitster Pro X4i MiniMotard
    Yamaha TTR

Die Livin'

Yeah, it's a different atmosphere up this way when compared to places south of West Virginia....meaning "not as much freedom".

Last edited by butcher bergs; 07-15-10 at 04:09 PM.

Hey Epee

David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by daviid View Post
    Hey Epee

Great Googely Moogely? How many boards do you troll anyway?

Are you unemployed again, all the time to check boards?

How the hell are ya? You makin' it to Indy? Or VIR's August AMA thingy?

DRZ400S
    Yamaha TTR

Die Livin'

Quote Originally Posted by Epee View Post

I should be able to make a Winooski meet. Google maps says 154miles, that's an hour on the Connie, VT HP support your event right? Just a warning for low fly by's on 91-89?

I heard about some beautiful track up north of Montreal, mont trimblant?. You Burly Boys get to that at all?
    VT HP?

I hear Temblant isn't bad but I hear Calabogie is better. http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/ YouTube- Calabogie motorcycle lap

I really need to make it up there.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Great Googely Moogely? How many boards do you troll anyway?

Are you unemployed again, all the time to check boards?

How the hell are ya? You makin' it to Indy? Or VIR's August AMA thingy?
    Running my own show right now. Im all over the place really. Actually in CT right now. Flying back to CLT in the AM for a day to head over to CMP and flying back saturday afternoon.

No Indy, but a buddy of mine may be doing the AMA SuperSport @ VIR so i told him i'd go wrench for him.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I know of a Karting track in Barre.. (I have a mini motard)
    Oh, we're gonna get along great. shoot me the info. on the "Little" track. That would be a riot. Are many folks into the pit bikes on pave? that would be a hoot to get a bunch of us idiots going insane in some parking lot, ahhh the memories. Wait... I've got video of it somewhere.

Oh, the VT HP = Vermont Highway Patrol.

they're all so SERIOUS up here

DRZ400S
    Yamaha TTR

Die Livin'

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Listen here meow

-Benjamin Franklin

It is VSP not VTHP.

Vermont State Police.

The VTHP are much more leanient.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Welcome. Brat sure is a haven for alternative lifestyles.

Loudon isn't as bad as it's reputation makes it out to be. Come watch LRRS club racing this weekend and see.

Oh, and then come ride the track with Tony's on Monday and Tuesday. Yes, I'm affiliated.

Oh, the VT HP = Vermont Highway Patrol.

they're all so SERIOUS up here
    That seems to mostly be a southern VT thing. Not nearly as many of them in the northern half of the state.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

I noticed a dirt section here on NESR, is there a motard or dual sport contingent around these parts?

I was already to get a Dorsoduro, then got married and put it on hold. Now I'm thinking of trying to be happy with the DRZ400 and getting an Adventure bike instead of a full motard (to take the wifey along) for up here.

Just when you think you've got enough bikes, you become convinced you need at least two MORE!!!

DRZ400S
    Yamaha TTR

Die Livin'

I have a motard... and I have the dirty wheels to go with it. Mark is quite the Dual sport rider and CCC of VT is a good Dual sport group.

I have them same problem with bikes... (see sig)

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I live in Westminster, VT, about 20 min north of you.

Best advice I can give is to stick to the back roads. The cops very rarely patrol any road but I91 and sometimes Route 5, so your best bet would be roads like Route 100, Route 30, and a lot of the lesser roads going through the Green Mtn National Forest. Molly Stark is really fun but very heavily traveled and pretty well patrolled. If you can hit it up on a Tuesday or Thursday late morning/early afternoon, though, you'll be in for quite a fun and twisty road.

If I can recommend some specific roads, go find East West Road in Dummerston, Winhall Hollow Road up in Winhall, 100 from Molly Stark Trail up to Townshend, Depot Road in Dummerston to Dover Road to 100, and all the roads between Alstead and Gilsum NH. Those are all my favorites. Another out of state favorite of mine is Rt 2, the Mohawk Trail just over the border in Mass. TONS of long twisties and sharp turns traveling up a mountain pass and back down the other side. Another one to catch mid-day on a weekday.

Also if you like windy dirt roads, Arlington Stratton Road from 100 to Rt 7 is super fun.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 07-18-10 at 06:53 PM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Welcome to the Forum! It's always nice to be able to welcome a new Vermonter to the forum. Rides, roads, and advice can all be found for free on here.... enjoy!

GT2

What night is Burlington BIKE NIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the welcome.

I credit it for saving my 675 from a high side in T7 VIR north course.
    Oh...you mean 'BatMan Corner'...!!!

Welcome aboard!

And everything you're heard about NHMS is true. BUT, it's a great place to meet a bunch of similar trackaddicts AND it builds character! Hope to see you there sometime!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I noticed a dirt section here on NESR, is there a motard or dual sport contingent around these parts?

I was already to get a Dorsoduro, then got married and put it on hold. Now I'm thinking of trying to be happy with the DRZ400 and getting an Adventure bike instead of a full motard (to take the wifey along) for up here.

Just when you think you've got enough bikes, you become convinced you need at least two MORE!!!
    There's not much dirt riding to be had in Vermont aside from dual-sport riding, unless you have Connections (ie, friends who own land that they let you ride on). There are no official trails in Vermont that are open to motorcycles -- the entire snowmobile trail network is off limits to us because VAST (the snowmobile association) are jackasses, and unfortunately have enough pull to have the trails restricted. This really sucks, because the snowmobile trail network is huge. (For what it's worth, the Jeep/Bronco/etc guys have the same problem we do.) There are a few privately-owned tracks here and there, but personally, riding in circles doesn't particularly interest me.

So the best bet in Vermont is to have something with a license plate, because then you can legally ride all the Class 3 and 4 dirt roads and whatever pavement you need to in order to get there.

The CCC of VT puts together a few dual sport rides each year, and those guys know of some Class 4 roads that are barely recognizable anymore. I think they also have agreements with a few property owners to let them cut across to link Class 4 roads together.

Or you can just do the dirt road thing on your own; lots of nice ones. The Vermont BMW club put together a route called the Puppy Dog Ride that goes from Massachusetts up to the Canadian border. Or then there's the Bayley Hazen Military Road.

--mark

Last edited by markbvt; 07-19-10 at 12:40 PM.
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Great information, WOW THANKS TONS, Y'All!

Doc, can't wait to meet you, we have similar style bikes, I can't wait to mix it up with some fellow idiots on the mini motard again! I'm dying for a good kart track or parking lot. Being medical, I had tons of pull and connections in NC, being new here I'm shocked I haven't already been thrown in the pokey? I see a trackday excursion in our near future!?

OK, so I'm on the right track thinking a nice big adventure tour for all these class 3&4's and a sweet big motard for up here.

I'll have to meet up with a few of you and test out these recommendations.

SRTie4k; what's your schedule?, I'll spring for lunch, let's meet up and try some of these recommendations of yours! I found a video on here somewhere of some twists up around 100 and VT-17 around sugarbush or something, looked pretty remote (non patrolled). I've also found some nice stuff on the VT/Ma border i.e., green river rd., Leyden, Jacksonville/Stage rd.

DucDave; Ah ha! I knew it, they all lie and tell you local tracks are fine until you show up and find craters and armorlite and...and.. I just don't trust them NASCAR folks! All cooped up in those toasty cages.

MarkBvt; great info. I have been having stupid fun on the DRZ.

Hey, been hitting a few power line trails, noticed a few "NO TRESPASSING" signs. Kinda tread lightly, but still try to "scoot" by to next trail or connecting road. HOW LIKELY AM I TO GET SHOT DOING THAT UP HERE??

DRZ400S
    Yamaha TTR

Die Livin'

Not likely to get shot, but not at all unlikely to have the cops called on you.

--mark

HOW LIKELY AM I TO GET SHOT DOING THAT UP HERE??
    Depends if it's huntin' season...

GT2

What night is Burlington BIKE NIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!

the cops can go down powerlines?

DRZ400S
    Yamaha TTR

Die Livin'

Epee,
    Welcome to the area! I don't think you will be disappointed with NHMS. I've never ridden other tracks so I am not the person to ask but I hear from those who have that its got lots of character and is very technical, which makes it a blast.

Not to get too off topic but...

Markbvt,
    There are a few reasons why VAST has kept the wheels off of the snowmobile trails, but my experience is that it comes down to one primary issue. It's not the snowmobilers, or even VAST themselves, its the people who own the land that the trails go on. Most, if not all of the trail network up there is on private land and only exists due to landowner permission. For some reason a lot of landowners don't mind snowmobiles, but are completely against four wheelers and dirtbikes. I am an avid snowmobiler, a member of a club in southern NH, and used to ride out of Essex VT back in the day so I am quite familiar. I have spoken to landowners directly about the issue so I have experienced it first hand. Trust me the clubs would prefer to allow fourwheelers and dirtbikes,it would provide more resources for the trail network.

Sorry to get off topic, but summer use of the snowmobile trails has been a huge issue and resulted in a lot of trail closures around here. I feel like if everyone truly understood the situation it might not be as big of a problem as it is.

Last edited by BSR6; 07-20-10 at 12:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast