Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

New Guy

New Guy

Hey guys, name is Russ, and I'm new here. Don't have a bike yet, plan on buying one this spring when I finish up my graduate degree. Always have had a love for motorsports, grew up riding dirtbikes/quads/snowmobiles, but haven't had the money to get a bike (until hopefully the mechanical engineering masters degree gets put to use next May) I want to get involved in racing, and it sounds like this is the forum to do it.

Currently thinking of getting an r3 or rc 390 as bike 1, depending on availability and price.

I am a member of my university's formula SAE team, a student club dedicated to the design, manufacture and performance of a formula style race car. The engine limitation is 610 cc (we used an 03 zx6rr (the 599 not 636) and 09 r6 engines), however the air entering the engines has to pass through a 20 mm restrictor plate. I was on the powertrain team during my undergraduate days, serving as powertrain lead my senior year. I now just serve as a general advisor as a grad student.

I have designed different drivetrain components, fuel systems, cooling systems, and a complete restricted intake/exhaust system for the r6 engine. We also designed a water brake engine dyno as my senior design (unsuccessfully unfortunately)

I'm trying to learn as much as I can from whoever I can, so any suggestions for a new rider give them to me. I would be happy to answer any questions about the formula car, intake/exhaust design, or dyno design if anyone has any interest in those areas.

Thanks

Russ

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Riding "The Widow Maker" LiterR1's Avatar

Re: New Guy

Welcome to the forum Russ.
    I am sure there are a few people here who will make you feel at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny500 View Post
    Talk about good riders... you are one fun guy to ride with!!

Restictor plate? Cool. Moar pressure. Good luck.

What's an r3?

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    What's an r3?
    Yamaha's answer to the Ninja 300. Pretty nice looking machine.

New Guy-6354905305092292202015-yamaha-r3-jpg

Welcome new guy.

Last edited by mzdagrl; 11-04-14 at 02:49 PM.
    Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    What's an r3?
    2015 Yamaha YZF-R3 Entry-Level Sportbike Review- First Look Photos- Specs

Welcome Russ. Sounds like FSAE did you well. Never got into it in school (was busy with other things), but kind of wished I had. Where did/do you go? I was a WPI kid myself.

Something like the R3 or Ninja 300 would be great to learn on. The great thing with the "learner" bikes, is you can ride them for a year or two or whatever and not lose much money on it. Hell, there's plenty of people that have been riding for long enough that enjoy wringing out the little bikes (the "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast" mentality). You could pick up something like a used SV650 and it would be a pretty good choice too. Nothing to intimidating, but a little bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by MHenry600 View Post
    2015 Yamaha YZF-R3 Entry-Level Sportbike Review- First Look Photos- Specs

Welcome Russ. Sounds like FSAE did you well. Never got into it in school (was busy with other things), but kind of wished I had. Where did/do you go? I was a WPI kid myself.

Something like the R3 or Ninja 300 would be great to learn on. The great thing with the "learner" bikes, is you can ride them for a year or two or whatever and not lose much money on it. Hell, there's plenty of people that have been riding for long enough that enjoy wringing out the little bikes (the "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast" mentality). You could pick up something like a used SV650 and it would be a pretty good choice too. Nothing to intimidating, but a little bigger.
    I graduated from Villanova Undergrad in 2013, and Ill be finishing up my masters there as well this may

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

oh boy.. a mainline guy / another philly guy...

hmmmm......

haha nahh, I was born/raised on the south shore, just went there for school, coming back when i'm all done

Welcome. You joined at a very interesting time of year.

Do you have pics of the car?

https://www.facebook.com/VillanovaFSAE

I would post pictures, but it was easier to just link the page