Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Hello from Amherst!

Hello from Amherst!

Hello!

Name's Aaron, I'm a graduate student at UMass Amherst. I took the MSF course about a month ago and really liked the bike experience. Asked a random guy on campus with a black ZX-6R where he thought a good place to get riding gear was and during the conversation, he recommended signing up here for various reasons.

I'm looking to either get a 250 or my department-mate's used 600 Bandit to ride around. Not thinking track for a while (as a first time rider, getting on the Pike sounds terrifying lol), just wanting something else for commuting to/from school or visiting people in state. Hopefully I'll get a bike soon, since the season seems to be ending...Anyway, I'll probably bug people for help on how to check out that Bandit, but that's for a different forum, methinks.

Hope to meet some of you soon!

Aaron

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Hello from Amherst!

Welcome aboard Aaron. Great forum to be a part of.

Shannon

Welcome Aaron, while many people here may talk about and suggest the track there are also a lot of street riders. To my knowledge most of the street rides for the season are already over but you got here just in time for the winter fun. If youve got a sense of humor and a little bit of thick skin your bound to find many friendly people (note: sarcastic ass's) and have a good time here.

Black/Green 09 600RR (street)
    03 600rr (Track)

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Anyone here ever had to do an emergency figure "8"?
    Quote Originally Posted by KawiSmurf View Post
    Yah, I was being chased by bee. He was too quick to lose on the first u-turn, but I ditched him on the second one.

Welcome.
    Many knowledgeable and experienced riders in this forum. Don't hesitate to look for guidance from fellow nesrians... you will get a lot of useful info.
    You will probably find many similar threads already started if you check into it.

beware of the NESR western Mass crew.....welcome.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

Welcome!

Amherst is a good place to get comfortable with riding, plenty of less traveled roads outside of town in many directions...
    If you get on the west side of 91 north and west of Northampton, there are some outstanding rides.

Gary

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CronoZero View Post
    Hello!

Name's Aaron, I'm a graduate student at UMass Amherst. I took the MSF course about a month ago and really liked the bike experience. Asked a random guy on campus with a black ZX-6R where he thought a good place to get riding gear was and during the conversation, he recommended signing up here for various reasons.

I'm looking to either get a 250 or my department-mate's used 600 Bandit to ride around. Not thinking track for a while (as a first time rider, getting on the Pike sounds terrifying lol), just wanting something else for commuting to/from school or visiting people in state. Hopefully I'll get a bike soon, since the season seems to be ending...Anyway, I'll probably bug people for help on how to check out that Bandit, but that's for a different forum, methinks.

Hope to meet some of you soon!

Aaron
    I think i know the guy you met at umass with the black zx6r........kinda goofy looking with a clapped-out flat black 2007 with chicken guts on the fairings??

Quote Originally Posted by j4eric View Post
    beware of the NESR western Mass crew.....welcome.
    Welcome Aaron to NESR. The WMC CRUE! We own these Roads.

Welcome Aaron, you could go check out Valley Motorsports on N. King St. over in Northampton. Talk to Jeff behind the parts counter. I worked there for many years and he is the best to work with imo.

Welcome to the forum Aaron. Lots to learn here. #1 is ATGATT !

Quote Originally Posted by ZX11D View Post
    Welcome to the forum Aaron. Lots to learn here. #1 is ATGATT !

As a former UMASS grad, and current WMASS NESRian... WELCOME!

I was a Sophomore at UMASS when I got my first real street bike - a Suzuki GS400. I wish I had the resources available to me then, that you have now.

Good Luck out there, and don't fear the Pike. In fact, highways are much safer than surface streets as everyone is going the same direction.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Welcome Aaron!.

Amherst is where the good roads begin. You're at a good location to start riding.

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Welcome, I'm also in Amherst. I'd stay away from a Bandit 600 unless you get a really good deal or you're good at working on carbs. Helped a friend pick up an 01 for a great price but the bikes are notorious for running very lean which leads to the engine stalling on it's own or under deceleration. Also used to ride my older brother's Katana 600 and had the same issues which is no surprise since the engines are almost the same.

Valley Motorsports is a nice shop to go to for everything but inspections. If you have anything that's not completely legal you're likely to get failed. Especially flush mount blinkers... And stay away from Allpowerin Granby, they suck.

Friends don't let friends wave to Can Ams

Hey Aaron... I'm actually a 2008 grad from UMass Amherst! How are you liking it there? I'm a grad student at UNH at the moment. I actually just took the MSF course a month ago as well. How's the bike shopping going? Did you decide on the Bandit? I went back and forth on whether to go new or used for a long time. I ended up going with a Ducati Monster 696 (my girlfriend has the same bike). It's a pretty aggressive bike, but it handles really smoothly.

Hope you're having a blast in Amherst! Say hi to Antonios, Wings, and McMurphy's for me haha

--Brian

BRIAN

2012 Ducati Monster 696