Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello right coast

Hello right coast

Hi all,

Former east coaster here, although I didn't get into motorcycling till I moved out to San Francisco six years ago. I'm an active member of BARF (www.bayarearidersforum.com) and currently ride an '03 Honda 600rr, which is my third bike.

I love the twisty roads we have here, and am starting to explore the tracks as well. Recently went on a 1300 mile weekend ride to Vegas on all backroads which was a blast! (the avatar is us in the middle of Death Valley). After that trip, I'm saving for a VFR for the street and keep my RR track only in a couple of years.

Reason I joined up here is twofold. One, I get back to the Northeast a fair amount, and have family in Vermont, New York and New Jersey. Two I might have a job offer to move to Burlington coming soon, so I wanted to see what the sportbiker scene is like back east. I'm no squid, ride within my limits and always dress for the fall, not the ride.

So what is it like there. I know the roads seem good, but mostly what I've seen are sweepers, not a lot of tight, technical stuff. Hopefully if I move I can find the nirvana of roads. Here's a sampling of the roads I ride regularly http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

Also, what tracks are there? I know of Louden, but its an oval right? Also know of Lime Rock in CT.

Brendan

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by tiltedworld; 06-27-03 at 07:09 PM.

Hello right coast

Hi Brendan and welcome

Louden actually has two setups, the oval track for NASCAR fools, and the road track which is what all of us ride... Its a great track, even if no VIR...

Theres TONS of great roads around here, alot of rivers round here, and mountains up north which makes for some great riding. If and when ya get out here, more than a few of be willing to show you all the fun knee down roads

Cheers,
    Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Hello right coast

Hohum,

Thanks for the welcome. I will be sure to hook up with you all if I end up moving out that way again. What other tracks are in the NE? I'm sure I'm spoiled having 4 (Laguna, Sears, Thunderhill and Buttonwillow) within driving distance. Hell Sears I actually ride to my trackday it so close

How long is the Louden road course?

Also is there any places out that way to rent anything other than a Harley? I go back to VT a lot and the notch road between Stowe and Smuggs is like i'd love to ride it on a visit.

-Brendan

Hello right coast

Loudon is 1.6 miles. 12 turns. Lap record is around 1:11.
    It's pretty much the only show in town. Other tracks are in Penn and NY so are kind of a hike.
    Don't know 'bout rentals up this way... you'll just have to buy an extra one to leave at somebody's house.

Chris J.
    "You're going the wrong way!!!"
    "How does he know where we're going?"
    03 Aprilia Tuono, 06 Yamaha R6, 16 Yamaha XSR900, 13 VW Touareg

Hello right coast

Janks, ya screwball! The CLUB record is 1:11....

TW-Just give a shout when you get out this way. There's plenty of peeps that'll be happy to show you around. But if you end up near Burlington, YOU'LL be the one showing US around. Some VERY sweet rides out that way!

Hey! How'd ya find us anyway?

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Hello right coast

Welcome!

-Josh || Forum Rules || Stop. Think. Post.

Hello right coast

What? Is he a pro??
    1:09.xx then.
    Geesh!

Chris J.

Hello right coast

Welcome

Hello right coast

welcome

"Here's to alcohol: the source of, and answer to, all of life's problems." -Homer Simpson

Hello right coast

Sorry to bump this welcome to the top, but the job I described in my original post looks might actually come to fruition. They're flying me out to Burlington next week and if all goes well will be moving there soon. Took them long enough to get the position in the budget, jeeze!!

Kinda sad to possibly leaving all the great tracks/twisties here, but excited for the possibility to learn the east coast tracks, especially since a new one is going up in NH, right?

Keeping my fingers crossed and I might get the chance to meet you when the riding season comes around the Northeast.

*new avatar is T2 at Sears Pt.

Last edited by tiltedworld; 12-09-04 at 08:37 PM.
    -Brendan

Hello right coast

Holy crap!
    18 months!!!?
    Fuck! They better be worth it!!!

BTW: I hate you!
    sears point t2... grumble grumble grumble...

Chris J.

Littering and........

Hello right coast

Originally posted by tiltedworld
    Sorry to bump this welcome to the top, but the job I described in my original post looks might actually come to fruition. They're flying me out to Burlington next week and if all goes well will be moving there soon. Took them long enough to get the position in the budget, jeeze!!
    If you end up in VT, shoot me a PM, I'll show you where the good twisties are.

It'll be good to have another NESR member up here. Nikon and I had to drive four hours down to Boston just to drink beer with everyone last weekend!

Good luck with the job, and welcome!

Banned

Hello right coast

Welcome Brendan, you are going to fit right in.

degs

Hello right coast

Welcome. As you've already observed, there are several folks on this board willing to introduce you to a few choice New England roads. I'm sure we will meet on one of the many rides that are organized during the riding season. One thing I can tell you about NESR is that these people LOVE to ride.

Anyway, welcome and best of luck with your new job!

LRRS#167

Hello right coast

Welcome aboard! The season is shorter out here .... but the scenery sure makes up for it Good times ahead!

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

Hello right coast

what's up B. I live just outside the B-Town and we have a couple of people on the board from up here. Highsider and myself and there is one other that doesn't come by here too often. We're no squiids either. I work nights to I ride as often as I can.

What's the job?

Would be nice to have another BESR member up here...

Bras cause cancer.

Hello right coast

Well I haven't gotten the job yet, but it is encouraging that after 18 months they've called me back regarding the position. I'd be working for IDX, a healthcare software company based in Burlington as the Investor Relations Manager, dealing with the Wall St. investors that trade the public stock of the company.

It'd be nice to have some people to ride with and get to the track with as well. My wife rides as well, an F4i, but she's more in it for the scenery than the track side of things.

I might be interested in looking into LRRS as well, as my times at the local tracks here, while by no means fast, have improved to where I'd be just off the back of the pack in the AFM club racing out here.

Anyway's keeping my fingers crossed that the in-person goes well, and with luck I'll be riding with you all in a few months.

-Brendan

Banned

Hello right coast

Make sure you check out the track days section of this forum for our VIR trip in March.

Also, for good Loudon trackdays you should check out www.tonystrackdays.com

NESR members get a discount on Tony's track days.

I race an F4i at Loudon (sometimes) so I can give you a few pointers on setup for your bike. Loudon is very technical and does not have the best of surfaces in all turns, although it improves every year.

derek

Hello right coast

Originally posted by tiltedworld
    Well I haven't gotten the job yet, but it is encouraging that after 18 months they've called me back regarding the position. I'd be working for IDX, a healthcare software company based in Burlington as the Investor Relations Manager, dealing with the Wall St. investors that trade the public stock of the company.

It'd be nice to have some people to ride with and get to the track with as well. My wife rides as well, an F4i, but she's more in it for the scenery than the track side of things.

I might be interested in looking into LRRS as well, as my times at the local tracks here, while by no means fast, have improved to where I'd be just off the back of the pack in the AFM club racing out here.

Anyway's keeping my fingers crossed that the in-person goes well, and with luck I'll be riding with you all in a few months.
    IDX huh? Not too shabby.
    Scenery...have none of that round here
    riding in a few months? get real

Bras cause cancer.

Hello right coast

Originally posted by Degsy
    I race an F4i at Loudon (sometimes)
    speaking of that...what happened to the old sig.?.

Bras cause cancer.

Hello right coast

Make sure you check out the track days section of this forum for our VIR trip in March.

Also, for good Loudon trackdays you should check out www.tonystrackdays.com

NESR members get a discount on Tony's track days.

I race an F4i at Loudon (sometimes) so I can give you a few pointers on setup for your bike. Loudon is very technical and does not have the best of surfaces in all turns, although it improves every year.

derek
    March huh? I'll keep that in mind. VIR is what a 12 hour ride from VT? Otherwise no riding till April or so, right? I gotta learn how to winterize my bike...

I'm used to technical tracks like Sears and Laguna ;-) and love the elevation changes. Thunderhill is about half technical and half horsepower too. Sears was just repaved last winter and is like buttah now, but Thill is pretty bumpy in spots.

How is the new Club Motorsports construction going? I heard the owners of VIR are also building a new complex in South Jersey which will be ready in 2006. Also heard rumors of a track in development in Long Island. The more tracks the better. How come Watkins Glen and Lime Rock don't run motos?

-Brendan

Banned

Hello right coast

The track in Tamworth, NH is a crapshoot.

They have cleared tees and seem to be progressing on the legal issues. NESR has a trackday booked there on August 15th 2005 IF the place is built.

As for WG and LR not running bikes, I have no idea.

Derek

Hello right coast

Here's the link for the NJ track going in. Looks like spring of 2006 for this track, looks to be a good one

http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/

-Brendan

Hello right coast

Hi Brendan, that's cool that you're moving to the east coast, as i will probably be moving to the bay area next year, haha. wanna trade furniture?

i spent the past summer working near Sacramento and got to ride at Thunderhill and spectate at some of the other tracks... sorry to say you might be a little disappointed out here after being spoiled by the tons of tracks and track days where you're from, but you will definitely find a great group to ride with!

Elaine

WSMC #940

Hello right coast

As for WG and LR not running bikes, I have no idea.

Derek
    Simple put, snobs! Porsche/Ferrari/BMW owners club only. The surrounding residents think bikes are too noisy (read...not their kind of crowd). They also run vintage races. Probably wouldn't be cost effective to run track days there anyway.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast