Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Hello from Maine

Smile Hello from Maine

Hello NESR, just joined and thought I'd introduce myself. I live in Falmouth, Maine (just outside Portland), grew up in the midcoast.

Feels like everyone's been riding longer than me... used to dream about bikes when I was a kid but my parents were never on-board with anything motorized. Closest I got was dreaming about it on my two-hour bus rides every day. So I finally got on my first motorcycle two years ago at 34 years old and instantly fell in love.

Riding a 2005 Suzuki GS500F with a '93 DR350 in the shed torn to bits as I slooooowly try my hand at rebuilding the motor. The GS felt a lot faster when I first got it for sure but I still love her to death and has treated me well. Definitely ready for an upgrade but still oh so much to learn on the GS as it is. About 10k miles since I started riding and get out every chance I can get.

One day I'll get down to Penguin for some school and a taste of the track but until then just learning my way around the bike and trying to invest pennies where I can!

Gabe

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Hello from Maine

Hey Noob. I also have a DR350 I want to get running again, ton of fun sub 60mph.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Welcome. Bar Harbor here.

Howdy. I used to rake blueberries up in Cherryfield, I think that's kind of near Bar Harbor.

MattR302 I can't remember the differences with the 98SE but I'm basically trying to make mine street legal, parts-wise almost there. Got a lot of parts though if you ever need some obscure bit I might have it kicking around my shed drop me a line!

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

Welcome ! I work down in the big city of North Berwick, ME.
    My son and I have spent the last couple of months sprucing up an abused 2008 GS500F we picked up on Craigslist for cheap. Mechanicals are all sorted out now. Today we are doing the plastiweld putty and spray paint. It will be his first bike. He's pretty excited. Do you have any tips about the GS500F? Any typical issues with that bike that we should be aware of ?

Welcome aboard! The GS500 is a great starter bike! Have fun, ride safe, wear your gear.

Hey scootertrash! My wife is from Biddeford area.. I think I had an ex from North Berwick hah

Great choice on a first bike, solid engine and easy to maintain, of course I'm biased. If you haven't already check out GSTwins forums, tons of great info there, also GSResources.

Search GSTwins sometime on Goat's syndrome.. that sounds like the #1 catastrophic "problem" with the bike, when a magnet gets dislodged from the rotor and just chews everything up.

Just hitting 20k on my GS and only minor problems for me, and um... "user error" -- like stripping the oil drain plug and replacing the entire pan, haha. Would love to see the bike when she's on the road!

Hey Gabe, welcome to the New England Street Riders!

Thanks. Nice little Triumph collection there, you have a favorite?

Favorite? I think it's the Thruxton, ok it's what ever bike I'm on. And thank you Gabe.