Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Hello from Middlesex County

Hello from Middlesex County

Hi out there..

Found out about all of you from another forum - after checking out the forum, thought it would be great to join you in the fun!

As for me, I ride a '06 Yamaha FJR right now. This is my first sport-tourer that I bought new and I have been enjoying it since. Started riding on a Honda CB70 mini-bike that I share with my siblings (Dad bought it for all of us - had lots of fun with that) and have had a number of bikes (both dirt and street) since then. If you run across me on the road, I'll be the one that waves hi to all.

While I wait - impatiently! - for riding weather to return, I'm enjoying watching the new motorcycle documentary "Why We Ride" (lots of great scenes - great movie to show those who do not understand why we enjoy this).

See you out there.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Hello from Middlesex County

Welcome. You can catch me in the metro west area riding often.

Welcome NESR. Nice bike, it's on my list of possible 'next bikes'. What do you like and dislike about it?

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Enjoy the show.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

my attitude matches yours GixxerJosh's Avatar

Welcome!!

MSF RiderCoach http://www.trainingwheelsonline.com
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach http://www.planetdirt.com

Evergreen Safety Council Sidecar/Trike Education Program Instructorhttp://www.trainingwheelsonline.com/...l#spyder-trike

Welcome, Middlesex county as well.

Welcome, Haverhill here. Give a shout if you are heading up this way some weekend.

Ahoy.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome's. I hope we can meet sometime out there.

Here's some quick answers to the points raised - I like riding out west, sometimes as far west as Albany NY and as north as White Mountains (although I keep thinking of visiting the VT Northeast Kingdom). As you can imagine from that, I like staying away from the congested areas on the east side of MA and prefer winding mountain and valley roads with little to no traffic. I am sure all of you have been out west in our state and into Vermont /NH /Maine and enjoyed the roads. Most of the time, I prefer to ride solo, since for me riding is more of a zen time, a time to focus exclusively on the bike and the road and get a chance to unwind... but I do join small group rides every so often, so don't think of me as just a loner! I do not go away for days on end (wife would object but I would enjoy that) - a good ride is around 150 to 200 miles or so.. a short ride is like 50 and a great ride is all day long starting in the morning and getting home in time for dinner.. (do not get the chance for those often but still get to do a few..). If you see a guy on a blue FJR in the middle of wicked summer heat wearing all the gear, that will probably be me (the gear actually keeps me cool in the heat as long as I do not have to run in stop-n-go traffic).

As to my bike I picked it for its ability to help me ride for hours without a single sore muscle which provides a perfect synergy to travelling far to enjoy new roads, while simultaneously providing great handling for such a large bike (it weights 680 lbs wet give or take but it rides like my Nighthawk which is almost several hundred pounds lighter; yet I can still grinds the feelers at will). Its brakes are phenomenal and I have had my chances to prove it - add that it has anti-lock on both ends which just builds in you the confidence to use full braking when needed (and yes, I have cagers that have had me prove it). A full tank of six plus gallons has given me over 320 miles of range (I must admit that it was not spirited riding at those times). Its adjustable windshield allows me to get a breeze or travel along at serious speed without a whisper; another advantage of its fairings is that it lets me ride comfortably in low temps; I've been able to ride and be comfortable (not warm just comfortable bordering on tolerable) down to 35F. Its saddle is more that comfortable for one and /or two up riding, which my life partner (aka wife) enjoys.

So yes, I like the bike.. a lot - I actually do not have a dislike that comes to mind; maybe I am adjusting for a lot or not but for me it works (if you check out the forum that I give next you can see what others have changed /updated /etc). It has a loyal following (part of the reason I picked it) and its own interesting forum (www.fjrforum.com) full of interesting people from all around our country and other countries too (it is sold in other countries and was first sold in Europe). The newer bikes from Honda, Kawasaki (and if you have the coin) BMW, have added their own individual features but I still think that the FJR is one that started the sport-touring part and is still a serious bench mark to consider. The newest version now has almost anything you could think of, e.g. heated handles, even better aero, cruise control, etc. Bikes of this type are designed to make it effortless to travel hundreds of miles and not cramp a single muscle while still getting a chance to tilt tightly into a wicked curve. And isn't that the best thing? Getting to ride lots of miles and ending with a smile..!

So great to hear from all of you - hope I did not go on too much about my bike. Next I will have to meet Tricky Mike soon... (the reason why I found out about all of you) I have new tires to put on soon, so that I can rack up some more miles!

Cheers!

Aloha from Waltham!

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

in Lowell

--Jesse
    2001 SV650s